Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Well I got my 05 Coupe (manual/dark blue/beige interior/vintage package) a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. After driving a Miata for 14 years, it's a remarkable change. The only way they compare is with regard to the spares creature comforts. In fact, the base stereo in the Miata was far better. Who needs a radio anyway.

I figure, at 8-10K/year on the car, it should be good for 100K miles. I can dream can't I? After the warranty expires, that feeling of driving an impending time-bomb is going to be hard to shake.

I drove it to Vegas and had the dealer there do the 2-year service. What a great dealer. Makes me want to take it there for all major services. Thorough. Competent. Fair. Very nice people.

The only item that is not right yet is that nagging vibration at 4,000 RPM (just as described in a previous thread). Didn't have it in Vegas long enough to sort. Sort of irks me that at pre-purchase inspection by Algar didn't find this (they also missed an air conditioner leak, but that was a quick fix). I got the car sight unseen and shipped it from PA to CA after the inspection came out thumbs up. I have an appointment 12/19 at the Auto Gallery (So Cal). Speedy they ain't, although in all fairness, they are moving locations over the next two weeks. I'm a bit concerned because I mentioned that others had a similar problem and traced it to the torque tube. The service person blew me off and is confidant it's an engine mount. Whatever. He can start replacing things left and right if he wishes. As long as it's under warranty. If it's the torque tube, he will have to get to it sooner or later. Can't say I'm too impressed after speaking with the guy at Auto Gallery, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. People on this site seem to have had a good experience.

Been enjoying this site much. I''ll chime in and thank Maser of Minneapolis for the great posts. I even like the pictures/ads/inventory posts. Also don't mind the posts by Kevin, our sites main aftermarket man. Don't stop you two.

Love to hear more from the SoCal Maser fans.

Best to all.

CrazyDailyDrive

·
Registered
835 Posts
welcome to the board.

that's quite of a change from a mazda to maserati. miata corners well, more agile i would say.

some dealerships rack up on warranty money therefore it's not all that surprising to hear they "misdiagnose" problems. speed is never a concern for them, also most of the FM service dept. in the south land are short staffed, anticipate a minimum of 1 week down time per visit.

nice color combo...hehe...perfect if you must. that's exactly what I have :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome to the site! I love the Miata they are very fun cars and very cheap to mod, I've thought about buying one and putting in a GReddy turbo kit. Was yours stock or modded? Did you ever use it on the track?

How do you like the 6spd transmission in your Coupe? I don't like mine that much just trying to get feedback from the few other 6spd owners.

·
Registered
528 Posts
MVP said:
Welcome to the site! I love the Miata they are very fun cars and very cheap to mod, I've thought about buying one and putting in a GReddy turbo kit. Was yours stock or modded? Did you ever use it on the track?

How do you like the 6spd transmission in your Coupe? I don't like mine that much just trying to get feedback from the few other 6spd owners.
What don't you like about the trans?
Mine is a little stiff when cold, but OK after a few blocks.
I test drove a stripper in the beginning of the year that had better feel through the lever than my car.
The clutch engagement point seems to be higher than most other cars that I have driven.

Overall, it is OK. My in town commute would kill a CC, so for me, it is 6MT or nothing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I love my 6 speed manual. It shifts very nice, and from the sounds of it, I really like not having to worry about the F1 pump going bad.

I guess I'm just old school. I need a shifter in my hand, and clutch pedal to push :D

Although I will have to resign myself to a CC when I get the Quattroporte.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Fred said:
What don't you like about the trans?
-The feel of the transmission is extemely cheap. It's not a Maserati worthy transmission in my opinion. I really would have liked to see the Maserati get a gated shifter similair to Ferrari or Lamborghini. It'd be hard to get it to make it look like it belonged there but I think it's possible.

-Gas and brake pedal are way too close together, I got used to it quick but with the way I like to position my foot I had to change it.

-Clutch engagement is way too "on or off". I don't feel there is much play in the clutch because of how high the engagement is.

-Clunky shifts, the transmission doesn't feel smooth at all, regardless of whether it's cold or hot outside sometimes I'll just have trouble going into a certain gear and have to push it into there.

-Positioning of 3rd gear, with the way I have my seat adjusted and the length of my arm I have to stretch my arm completely out to hit 3rd gear, this is very uncomfortable for me.

Just my personal opinion but I'll be going with Cambiocorsa for the next one like my Spyder was.

PS -Sorry for hi-jacking the thread CDD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Miata was a blast. Enjoyed it nearly every day I owned the car. 94 M edition. Never did do any modifications or track it. If I had the time, I would definitely choose a Miata for track time. I certainly found many great windy roads and pushed it to the limit. Get the feeling it's going to take longer (if ever) to find the limit of the Maser.

After test driving the GS Cambiocorsa, I knew the 6-speed was for me. Every time that car would downshift, it threw me through the window. All I could think of was chronically slipping clutch. Got the 6-speed without test driving it and am very content. Certainly BMW makes a smoother transmission, but this car has tons of personality and spunk. Fortunately, at 5/7", I like sitting forward and upright. The gear shift feels very comfortable. I did notice the catch on the clutch seemed high. Glad to know this is not unusual. Certainly not the smoothest shift in the world. Fine for me because I like the mechanical sensation of cars. Can't beat a hand-build vehicle to give that certain unidentifiable sensation. Funny though, I do feel sorry for those with wide feet. Manual is not for them. Even with my small foot, tennis shoes are too wide. Also, I guess the quirkiness of the shifting doesn't bother me because I knew in the Miata, unless I took a pause between 2nd and 3rd, I'd miss the shift. The Maser is very much the same in its fussiness. Once you learn what it likes from gear to gear, moving through them quickly becomes a snap. Definitely got to talk to these Italian women right or they will kick you in the nuts.

The only "modification" I did after getting my car was to get a wooden steering wheel and wooden shift knob installed. Wish the past owner sprung for the briarwood kit. No biggie. It's done.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with what CrazyDailyDrive has said.

A few more comments:

1) the closeness of the gas and brake let you to toe-and-heel downshift very easily.

2) you may need to blip the throttle to get a smooth down shift into 2nd, and point (1) above makes it easy. Double clutch to match the synchro speed in order to get the smoothest shifts.

3) I think the clunky shifts do add personality to the car. If you want a silky smooth shifts, get a German car.

4) I've also added a set of aluminium pedals to my car. It's often the first thing people see when they open the door. Also it helps with toe-and-heel shifting, as I've noticed that the rubber covers on the regular pedals come off easily.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I guess I would put my '02 GT Coupe's shifting right between my other 2 cars.

The Jalpa does have a gated shift, but the clutch is really heavy and you really have to man handle the shifter into gear (my wife can't stand that).

On the other hand, her 2006 Saab 9-5 is so easy to shift! My gosh, if I get in that car after driving the Jalpa, I about shove the clutch pedal through the floor! hahahahahaa....

Kevin, I know what you mean about the brake and accelerator being so close together. Twice now, I have been pressing the brake and wonder why my RPM's are so high! Then I realize while I'm pressing the brake, my #12 shoes are hitting the accelerator pedal too! :rolleyes:

Oh well, such is the life of exotic car ownership.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree that the shift can sound a little clunky at times but when the 'box is warm I find it reasonably smooth. I think the real problem is the fact that it is a cable operated 'box which always gives a slightly remote feeling. That said I have had the box completely baulk a number of times when trying to get into second. I got the dealer to look into this (while it was there for a vibration issue - subject of another post and still on going) and they adjusted the linkage but it is still not perfect. Does not happen very often but is annoying when it does.

I do not have any problems with the clutch and actually think it is slightly smoother in take up than my previous M5, but the big problem is the relationship between pedals, steering wheel and gear lever which are all designed around an Italian Ape! I am about 5 10" and if I have the seat adjusted so I can fully depress the clutch the throttle is too close and if I adjust for the throttle the clutch and gear lever are too far away. Have learnt to live with it but don't find it particularly comfortable. Mind you, all is forgiven when the engine is fired up:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I certainly like the gearbox on the upshifts, but I must admit I'm not getting all my downshifts right - I frequently miss 5th to 4th. My wet weather/snow drive is a Mini Cooper S with a Getrag box which is superb. I would love the Maser to be as precise.

And while we're talking about the manual version - anyone found a way to stop the gaiter from continually popping out of those clips?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gee Collosus - hope I'm not built like an Italinan Ape - LOL.

Fortunatley, I've not had any of those nagging problems of small stuff falling off my car - but I was warned to expect that.

As for shifting from 5th to 4th (or 2nd to 3rd), it comes easy for me because of the fussiness my Miata had. I often step on the clutch, gently push it out of gear and once the knob naturally settles, I quickly pull down (for 4th) or push up (for 3rd). To shift fast, it's just a matter of slowing down. Too vigorous and you blow a shift. I can usually move throough gears very quickly and rarely miss a shift. Sure wish F1 racers still had to use a clutch - anything to bring back a certain level of skill.

The only other thing that has been annoying lately has been trying to fill the tank. Some nozzels just don't want to work well on th car. I can spend 5 minutes trying to get 20 gallons in the tank. I better find an easy solution for this or I am going to go crazy.

·
Registered
681 Posts
CrazyDailyDrive said:
The only other thing that has been annoying lately has been trying to fill the tank. Some nozzels just don't want to work well on th car. I can spend 5 minutes trying to get 20 gallons in the tank. I better find an easy solution for this or I am going to go crazy.
Same here, on the Coupe the positioning of the gas tank is weird. I also absolutely cannot remove the nozzel without dripping some gas on the paint no matter how careful I am. It is annoying.

·
Registered
530 Posts
CrazyDailyDrive said:
turn the nozzle upside down - i.e. point the trigger side at the sky instead of the ground as usual. that does the trick on 90% of the pumps that exhibit this behavior.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts