Maserati Forum banner

Side emblems sourcing ?

4K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  DSGT 
#1 ·
I just realized that one of my side trident emblems is broken ( I suspect it was a car wash person, although no way to prove that.. ) and I checked on Scuderia‘s website but they don‘t seem to have the ones with the red lines, as pictured below . Any ideas where I can find these ?
It looks like eBay does have cheap plastic 3D knockoffs ( I’d rather use OE ones even though it’s far more expensive ) but they’re also without those red lines so not sure where to get something that matches the other emblem which is still intact .
Vehicle Font Symbol Electric blue Emblem

See less See more
#8 ·
So the aftermarket ones ( chrome color, and with the red stripes already on ) are available both from AliExpress, as well as at Amazon.com, the latter for $ 16. Reading the full description of the item from the two sites it appears they’re exactly the same.
I just ordered the ones on Amazon because they will deliver them tomorrow.
I usually don’t like aftermarket stuff but for $ 16 , I have little to lose ; I’ll examine them up close before I put them on . If the quality seems lousy, I’ll just paste them on the garage wall or cabinets.

No idea what the OE ones cost at the dealer but on eBay they’re $ 200 ! Yikes. I have not looked at Scuderia site yet to see what they cost there .

#39 ·
#13 ·
Got them today . Can’t say that I’m impressed with the quality ( although why would I be surprised at something that costs just $ 16 :rolleyes: ).
It ”looks“ ok, but to the touch it’s thinner and feels a lot less solid than the OE ones. Also there was a hairline crack in the straight line / arrow segment of the emblem which could have happened during shipping, but if it’s that feeble ..not a good sign. So I’m not confident the faux chrome coating will last too long either, it might come off after a couple of car washes.
But I’ll give it a chance and if it falls apart , I’ll just bite the bullet and spend an arm and a leg for the OE ones. They lasted 9 years, through countless car washes so maybe it justifies the price.
As for the placement ; they recommend using dental floss to remove the originals, goo-gone to clean up the gunk, and then isopropyl alcohol to ready the area for the new application .
But then if there is no trace of an outline where the emblem belongs , how the heck will I mount it in the exact spot ?! Any suggestions ? Thx.

#14 ·
Got them today . Can’t say that I’m impressed with the quality ( although why would I be surprised at something that costs just $ 16 :rolleyes: ).
It ”looks“ ok, but to the touch it’s thinner and feels a lot less solid than the OE ones. Also there was a hairline crack in the straight line / arrow segment of the emblem which could have happened during shipping, but if it’s that feeble ..not a good sign. So I’m not confident the faux chrome coating will last too long either, it might come off after a couple of car washes.
But I’ll give it a chance and if it falls apart , I’ll just bite the bullet and spend an arm and a leg for the OE ones. They lasted 9 years, through countless car washes so maybe it justifies the price.
As for the placement ; they recommend using dental floss to remove the originals, goo-gone to clean up the gunk, and then isopropyl alcohol to ready the area for the new application .
But then if there is no trace of an outline where the emblem belongs , how the heck will I mount it in the exact spot ?! Any suggestions ? Thx.
When I replaced mine, I used blue masking tape to outline the old one before pulling off. Make a “box” around it and mark where certain landmarks are on the tape, such as the tip of the top line trident etc.

#15 ·
Thanks Chris. I was thinking about cleaning everything but leaving just two pinpoint spots at each end of the straight “arrow“ line and mounting the emblem like that, which should allow everything else to align, but I like the blue painters tape idea better . (y)

#18 ·
Thanks Chris. I was thinking about cleaning everything but leaving just two pinpoint spots at each end of the straight “arrow“ line and mounting the emblem like that, which should allow everything else to align, but I like the blue painters tape idea better . (y)
No problem! I even noticed I still have the pics from my install:) i went from chrome to blacked out.

#17 ·
That seller on eBay at which I looked, had the photo of them inside their MaseratI dealer parts plastic bags ( looked as if they were still sealed ) with all the part #s and OE markings on them so fairly confident they‘re genuine, but yeah there are fakes out there no matter what the seller rating is, so it’s a risk..

#20 · (Edited)
So I ran a quick search and there were several recommendations to clear the residue with light rubbing compound. I have a fine grade one in the garage - I tried it on a small segment and it worked well, so I cleaned the whole thing that way .
Now for the disappointing news : the quality of these emblems is crappy..as I mentioned previously they look thinner and I’m skeptical about the chrome coating longevity, but it’s much worse than that : the adhesive backing is ok for the circular part of the emblem but it does not reach all the way to the very end of the arrow tips of the straight line, and even the tips of the tridents are missing about 1mm. Just enough for a thread from the car drying cloths to catch one of those ends and break what seems to be a very brittle emblem. I suppose I can hand the car wash folks a microfiber cloth for the emblems, or tell them not to touch them at all, and I’ll do that myself , but that’s just half-as*, so I just left them there temporarily until I get new OE ones from Scuderia .

Ok, everyone in unison now : “ what did you expect for $ 16 ?? “ :ROFLMAO:
Hey, I said that from the get-go ; not expecting much at all, but for that kind of money it’s worth testing it .;)

#22 ·
So someone previous to me completely deleted the emblems on my car. I don't miss them much but thought the black ones with red strips would look good. For $16 I'll take the chance on the ones from Amazon.

Anyone have a measurement for where they go? :)

#23 ·
Funny you should mention that ..I was thinking this morning how one would place the emblems in the right spot if they didn’t have the old ones location as a guide … I can try to take some measurements but I’m not confident if even using a tailor’s tape will be very accurate .. but heading out there now..

#24 ·
Sorry …it’s an exercise in futility ( for me anyway .) 😔. There’s not a straight line anywhere horizontal or vertical which makes it straightforward from where to where you should measure to reach a “ X marks the spot “ point. The slope and curvature of the body panel in that area also doesn’t make it any easier .. Hopefully someone else here who is more astute can figure out how to do that, I’m stumped .. 😩

#28 · (Edited)
Ok, so for the “close enough” method : the bottom of the emblem’s oval is 19” up from the edge of the fender ( wheel well ) . Use a tailor’s tape measure to keep it on the curvature of the fender. Put a small piece of blue painter’s tape there . And then the center point of the emblem ( middle arrow of the trident, or trident base ) is 5” away from the rear edge of the small widow, measured at the point which aligns with the “line” which takes you to the point where the emblem bottom should be, and you’ll be close enough :cool:

#35 · (Edited)
I placed a extremely light weight half cover on my car today ( major heat wave for two days ) to protect the cabin from too much heat in the direct sun. When I say extremely light I mean extremely light, if it’s not tied down the slightest trace of a breeze will blow it off the car .. anyway, what does that have to do with the emblems you ask ... well, even though it fits very loosely, so it does not rub or tug at anything when you remove it , I noticed that one end of the emblems straight arrow cracked and was almost dangling..not sure if it was caught in some part of the cover when I took it off , or if it’s just a coincidence and it happened somehow during the day but yeah.. crap quality. One day old emblems. Like I said ..$ 16 , can’t expect much . ( sorry Jdubbya , maybe you’ll have better luck with a different batch ..)
So I just ordered the OE ones ( with the red stripes ) from Scuderia . After shipping, etc.. $ 135 for the set . The first lasted through a million and one car washes and several heavyweight car covers on and off for almost 8 years, so if I get another 8 years out of the ones from Scuderia, I think I can justify it.. heck that’s probably what I‘ll pay for the steaks I plan to grill this coming weekend .

#40 ·
The dental floss broke right away, so I used a super strong thread ( but just about as thin as the floss was ) which worked perfectly . And then yes, I used only a dab of fine grade rubbing compound on a microfiber cloth and kept gently rubbing the residue until it all was clear, I could not even see the silhouette of where the emblem was … ( lucky I had the marked blue tape in place )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.