Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that one of my side trident emblems is broken ( I suspect it was a car wash person, although no way to prove that.. ) and I checked on Scuderia‘s website but they don‘t seem to have the ones with the red lines, as pictured below . Any ideas where I can find these ?
It looks like eBay does have cheap plastic 3D knockoffs ( I’d rather use OE ones even though it’s far more expensive ) but they’re also without those red lines so not sure where to get something that matches the other emblem which is still intact .
Vehicle Font Symbol Electric blue Emblem

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
623 Posts
Or maybe try some red pen striping vinyl tape...I think it comes as thin as 1/6th".

Reactions: DSGT

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the aftermarket ones ( chrome color, and with the red stripes already on ) are available both from AliExpress, as well as at Amazon.com, the latter for $ 16. Reading the full description of the item from the two sites it appears they’re exactly the same.
I just ordered the ones on Amazon because they will deliver them tomorrow.
I usually don’t like aftermarket stuff but for $ 16 , I have little to lose ; I’ll examine them up close before I put them on . If the quality seems lousy, I’ll just paste them on the garage wall or cabinets.

No idea what the OE ones cost at the dealer but on eBay they’re $ 200 ! Yikes. I have not looked at Scuderia site yet to see what they cost there .

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,237 Posts
Please let us know. I might pick up a pair and paint them gloss black.

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got them today . Can’t say that I’m impressed with the quality ( although why would I be surprised at something that costs just $ 16 :rolleyes: ).
It ”looks“ ok, but to the touch it’s thinner and feels a lot less solid than the OE ones. Also there was a hairline crack in the straight line / arrow segment of the emblem which could have happened during shipping, but if it’s that feeble ..not a good sign. So I’m not confident the faux chrome coating will last too long either, it might come off after a couple of car washes.
But I’ll give it a chance and if it falls apart , I’ll just bite the bullet and spend an arm and a leg for the OE ones. They lasted 9 years, through countless car washes so maybe it justifies the price.
As for the placement ; they recommend using dental floss to remove the originals, goo-gone to clean up the gunk, and then isopropyl alcohol to ready the area for the new application .
But then if there is no trace of an outline where the emblem belongs , how the heck will I mount it in the exact spot ?! Any suggestions ? Thx.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got them today . Can’t say that I’m impressed with the quality ( although why would I be surprised at something that costs just $ 16 :rolleyes: ).
It ”looks“ ok, but to the touch it’s thinner and feels a lot less solid than the OE ones. Also there was a hairline crack in the straight line / arrow segment of the emblem which could have happened during shipping, but if it’s that feeble ..not a good sign. So I’m not confident the faux chrome coating will last too long either, it might come off after a couple of car washes.
But I’ll give it a chance and if it falls apart , I’ll just bite the bullet and spend an arm and a leg for the OE ones. They lasted 9 years, through countless car washes so maybe it justifies the price.
As for the placement ; they recommend using dental floss to remove the originals, goo-gone to clean up the gunk, and then isopropyl alcohol to ready the area for the new application .
But then if there is no trace of an outline where the emblem belongs , how the heck will I mount it in the exact spot ?! Any suggestions ? Thx.
When I replaced mine, I used blue masking tape to outline the old one before pulling off. Make a “box” around it and mark where certain landmarks are on the tape, such as the tip of the top line trident etc.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Chris. I was thinking about cleaning everything but leaving just two pinpoint spots at each end of the straight “arrow“ line and mounting the emblem like that, which should allow everything else to align, but I like the blue painters tape idea better . (y)

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That seller on eBay at which I looked, had the photo of them inside their MaseratI dealer parts plastic bags ( looked as if they were still sealed ) with all the part #s and OE markings on them so fairly confident they‘re genuine, but yeah there are fakes out there no matter what the seller rating is, so it’s a risk..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks Chris. I was thinking about cleaning everything but leaving just two pinpoint spots at each end of the straight “arrow“ line and mounting the emblem like that, which should allow everything else to align, but I like the blue painters tape idea better . (y)
No problem! I even noticed I still have the pics from my install:) i went from chrome to blacked out.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So did you remove the old gunk with goo-gone and then used isopropyl alcohol to completely prep the area , or another method ?

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So I ran a quick search and there were several recommendations to clear the residue with light rubbing compound. I have a fine grade one in the garage - I tried it on a small segment and it worked well, so I cleaned the whole thing that way .
Now for the disappointing news : the quality of these emblems is crappy..as I mentioned previously they look thinner and I’m skeptical about the chrome coating longevity, but it’s much worse than that : the adhesive backing is ok for the circular part of the emblem but it does not reach all the way to the very end of the arrow tips of the straight line, and even the tips of the tridents are missing about 1mm. Just enough for a thread from the car drying cloths to catch one of those ends and break what seems to be a very brittle emblem. I suppose I can hand the car wash folks a microfiber cloth for the emblems, or tell them not to touch them at all, and I’ll do that myself , but that’s just half-as*, so I just left them there temporarily until I get new OE ones from Scuderia .

Ok, everyone in unison now : “ what did you expect for $ 16 ?? “ :ROFLMAO:
Hey, I said that from the get-go ; not expecting much at all, but for that kind of money it’s worth testing it .;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts