Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am currently looking for a 4 post lift to install, Just want to see what everyone is using and happy with, I am looking at the Bendpak HD-9 but I know there are many options out there. I have 9'6" ceilings, 4 car garage, only installing in 1 bay, 43' wide by 27' deep.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don’t have one but a lot guys in my local car club have Atlas lifts. Might be worth looking at those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I've been looking at Bendpak lifts and like the fact that they don't have to be secured by bolts in the concrete floor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a Backyard Buddy. It was higher priced than other lifts, but is US made, very high quality, has a much better safety system (I have actually seen failures in Chinese made lifts and it was not pretty for either the car or the person) and you can get pretty low cars on the lift with no problems. I also purchased the caster set so I can easily roll the lift around within my shop.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,773 Posts
I wouldn’t buy a car lift made in China if my life depended on it ..and it would, literally !
No xenophobia here, but China is certainly is not known for quality control, and particularly, safety considerations in constructing anything are ...not much of a consideration .

U.S. first and foremost, or if you’re in Europe - Germany , Sweden ( just as long as it‘s not made by IKEA :p ) or Norway are typically known for being nearly obsessed with quality and safety in building heavy equipment, maybe England as well, but otherwise you’re taking your life in your hands, IMO.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I am reading Bendpack is one of the best on the market, USA owned but made in China, USA made isn't saying too much, Look at American made cars, very little quality, That's why I won't buy one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Robin: Before you make the above statement, I would recommend you carefully look at the US made, versus China made lifts. Look at the safety systems on both styles. The Backyard Buddy uses machined slots in the main vertical supports, and they cannot fail. Many Chinese lifts just weld tabs into the corners of the vertical supports. All it takes is one weld failure and you are in a world of hurt.

4,866 Posts
Let me give you another option..A used Rotary....There are guys that go in and buy all the stuff when a shop closes and resells the stuff..A used Rotary beats a new Bend Pak in my book...My buddy had a Bend Pak..Bought it new...Line burst and squirted oil all over his garage...J

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got mine from a local company in St Louis. I don't know which brand it is as it has his sticker on it. I love it and it gets used continuously by me, my kids, friends, in-laws and car club guys.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
What car is the red / maroon one ?
It's my land yacht, a 66 TBird.

Thanks for the kudo's on the floor. It turned out really nice. Learned quite a bit doing the install. It's got a few flaws. I've got a couple adhesion issues but those are my fault (didn't clean the floor well enough). Overall, I love it. As you said, it really takes the garage up a notch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got mine from a local company in St Louis. I don't know which brand it is as it has his sticker on it. I love it and it gets used continuously by me, my kids, friends, in-laws and car club guys.
The brand is actually The Lift Superstore and out of Canada

Vehicle Lifts | The Lift Super Store

One of mine is theirs as well (8000lb Quattro) with a bridge jack too. Lifts are overseas made, but the hydraulics/etc I'm told are USA (most of the other budget lifts are overseas hydraulics as well). It's held up well so far.

The lifts as far as I can tell are the same (or very similar) to the Atlas and DirectLift (as well as a few other brands). All are in the similar price range.

The Bendpak's are definitely a level up. Quite a bit more money though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
who would do the install? Can a handyman with good knowledge of tools be able to get this done or hire a professional?

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's definitely possible to do it yourself, but the biggest challenge I think is probably the size/weight of the main ramps. If you search them on youtube I think they have some videos of how to assemble it.

I decided to just pay them around $600 for them just come deliver it and set it up. 4 guys, and they had it dropped off, assembled and levelled in a hour. Whoever you buy it from should be able to refer you to someone who has done them before (it's probably something you can do a thousand times faster the second time around...)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts