Maserati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing an airhorn in my 07 QP Sport, I noticed where the middle upper grill screws in, a little rust on the piece into which the screw mounts. I don't know what you call it, but it is a little piece of sheet metal folded on self. It isn't actually a part of the car.

Regardless, it got me thinking, could rust be forming elsewhere, and should I be rust proofing? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I answered this in PM, but thought I would post here as well. Didn't see the part about the one spot you were seeing - but these should be few.

The cars come coated from the factory, and what is exposed are mostly things you won't have to worry about oxidizing during your ownership - Aluminum \ Plastic.

There is some exposed hardware - bolts, brackets, etc. That may develop some surface rust, but these are not structural, and I'm not sure the benefits are worth the cost.

There is one area that undercoating would change - sound dampening. Most under-coaters use a vulcanized rubber that stays pliable, and one property of it is sound deadening that makes an obvious difference in road noise.

The drawback is that there are a lot of protective trays underneath the car, many of which have to be removed during maintenance, and any undercoating done would have to be done by professionals with sports car experience that can isolate the areas that are OK to coat and areas that should not be coated. I personally think 9.9 times out of 10 it's unnecessary *with these cars*.

edit: If you've got some localized oxidization you're worried about, you might just get a little can of POR-15 and brush that on the spots. http://www.por15.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts