Maserati Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Which brand catch can you recommend for the Granturismo?
Hi - If you look closely at Ferrari's PCV system - it is analogous to a 'Catch Can'.
Except:
1) It uses fiberglass mat (or similar woven material) as the coalescing substrate.
2) Its reservoir (the can) is an integral part of the Valve Cover and drains back into the engine.

It performs exactly the same function as the Catch Can.
All I did was increase the available surface area for the oil vapor to condense -
this significantly improved its effectiveness in my application (and affirmed in my before/after pics).

An aftermarket catch can is separated from the engine - so at cooler temp - and thus better at condensing water vapor - but I don't view this as an advantage since without frequent checks it can overfill (with Frappuccino as you called it) and that creates its own set of risks (getting a pulse of liquid into the intake and then...not good).
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Jason,
Before the hillbilly critique I had already shown that adding the Mesh had the same effect.
I do agree it looked like crap - but if the Mesh had not worked - the contraption was worth it to me to stop my cylinders from being peppered with coked carbon.
(and I should add that as someone that designs payloads for ISS - we don't always get it right - nor does Ferrari - which is why some of us have side jobs repairing their deficiencies - aka 'variators', Ford's 5.4L Triton, 6F35 transmissions, LS7 valves, among enumerable examples)
Mark
How often the PCV valve needs to be changed on the Granturismo???
Is there i mileage frame?
I thought about replacing it as a preventative maintenance and then add the mash on the new one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi - there are two consumables in the PCV - a spring loaded silicone diaphragm check valve (under the offset circular snap cover) and the woven substrate.
Last I checked a new PCV was about $150. I could not find the woven substrate available separately.
I have 85K miles on my QP-S - the check valve is in perfect working order whereas the substrate appears compressed.
In my opinion the SS mesh is far more effective than the woven substrate - so I decided not to replace mine.
Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just a quick update - did another inspection today.
Before and After Comparison to demonstrate the effectiveness of the adding the SS mesh to PCV.
Significant reduction of oil vapor reaching the cylinders (and consequent deposits/coking).
Orientation - Piston top (up) is at left.
Sept 16 2022 Borescope Cyl 7 (mesh)
April 2 2021 Borescope Cyl 7 (no mesh)
(About 2K miles between these two frames)
Its still working....

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I initially assumed that the coked carbon caused the scoring of the cylinder walls observed on my 4.7S.
That is what started me on this road (and that I don't observe oil on the pistons in my other cars or clients cars).
I'm not sure the coke caused it (could have been short trips by prev owner without adequate warm-up, excess idling, just guessing).
So I would say perhaps minuscule reduction in oil consumption and piece of mind in this case.
(And it is very easy to add the mesh).

Pic of the Cyl scoring - this is #8 but they all have it.
It has not changed/ increased in the 2 yrs I've owned the car.
So I did what I could to prevent it (the PCV mod) - and I run high Moly oil now (DT40).

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
I initially assumed that the coked carbon caused the scoring of the cylinder walls observed on my 4.7S.
That is what started me on this road (and that I don't observe oil on the pistons in my other cars or clients cars).
I'm not sure the coke caused it (could have been short trips by prev owner without adequate warm-up, excess idling, just guessing).
So I would say perhaps minuscule reduction in oil consumption and piece of mind in this case.
(And it is very easy to add the mesh).

Pic of the Cyl scoring - this is #8 but they all have it.
It has not changed/ increased in the 2 yrs I've owned the car.
So I did what I could to prevent it (the PCV mod) - and I run high Moly oil now (DT40).
Awesome work and I too was surprised at the amount of oil in the intake manifold, I definitely echoed your concerns. Now in terms, of whether it's consequential, seems to me your solution can only help at best and do nothing at worse. Appreciate you sharing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I appreciate the feedback Paulchua.
(BTW - I was very careful to make sure the mesh screes were fully intact - nothing friable, no stray strands.)

This article addresses valve and intake fouling in a GDI - hence extreme - but does show the contribution and consequences of high oil mist content in the PCV system in that application.

Mark

21 - 29 of 29 Posts