Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I changed out my alternator and left side valve cover gasket today I was surprised to see so much oil inside the intake runners and ports in the heads. The oil separator (disareator) on the left cam cover looks OK and the engine only has 33k miles.

Wonder if a catch can might be a good addition as this looks like way too much oil getting sucked back into the intake for my liking.

It's not smoking out the exhaust or anything like that, but don't want to risk poisoning the catalytic converters down the road.

It looks like it might be quite simple if I can just unbolt and rotate the oil separator 180 degrees on the left cam cover and bolt it back in place. That should allow plenty of room to route a hose from there to an external catch can and back to the intake manifold.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I changed out my alternator and left side valve cover gasket today I was surprised to see so much oil inside the intake runners and ports in the heads. The oil separator (disareator) on the left cam cover looks OK and the engine only has 33k miles.

Wonder if a catch can might be a good addition as this looks like way too much oil getting sucked back into the intake for my liking.

It's not smoking out the exhaust or anything like that, but don't want to risk poisoning the catalytic converters down the road.

It looks like it might be quite simple if I can just unbolt and rotate the oil separator 180 degrees on the left cam cover and bolt it back in place. That should allow plenty of room to route a hose from there to an external catch can and back to the intake manifold.

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 130335 View attachment 130336 View attachment 130337
I have a 2017 Levante and find the same thing. The pipe from the deaerator goes to the passenger side turbo intake. Finding lots of oil in the passenger side and none in the drive. Id love to see your catch can install. My biggest problem is finding hoses or pipes that can connect to the OEM plastic piping.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thoughts anyone?

Hi,

I think this may explain what I observed in Cylinders 7 and 8 (have not looked at the others yet but I assume same).
Excess oil on the piston tops, scoring (carbon or perhaps dust/dirt due to improperly fitted air filter box from previous owner).
I'll implement a trap solution as you suggest and see if it eliminates the excess oiling (hoping my rings are still OK).
(PS: Car runs fine, no detectable oil consumption, plugs porcelain/tips white/clean (some soot on rim), clean exhaust - and I'd like to keep it that way)
Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,
I installed a K-Motor catch can on my 2009 QP S 4.7L. Pics (updated) attached.
I'll report in a few months whether it helped address (or even solves) the oil seen on the piston tops.
Note: the Bosch PCV assembly has the properties of a catch can but my suspicion is that once the filter media become old and saturated it loses some of it coalescing and draining properties.
I'm unable to locate just the filter portion to replace it (whole assembly is $140 from Scuderia), so I added a [a double] SS screen to provide an extra substrate upon which oil can condense.
The external catch can does this too though the crankcase vapors upon reaching it have cooled slightly, and the can too is cooler, thus more efficient at precipitating oil.
Mark
PS: Note the doglegs on the Bosch PCV are not symmetric - if you rotate it you need to relieve a contour for the fastener.
PPS (05-26-2021): Replaced segment of hose with pair of AN10 fittings (45 deg elbow) to eliminate issue with partial collapse of hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Addendum:
With the catch can now installed, I was curious what my crankcase pressure/vacuum values are at idle, at wide open throttle (WOT), and at high RPMs (up to redline) after application of WOT (punching it).
I wanted to make sure I had not created any undue restriction in the PCV path - or conversely had excess crankcase vacuum at idle by reducing the effectiveness of the PCV diaphragm restrictor valve.

I bought an Omega manometer that reads vacuum or pressure to 0.01 psi.
I removed the dipstick and placed a MityVac barb in the top of the tube (some Dyno tuners use an oil cap with a hose barb but I did not want to drill mine, nor buy a spare just yet).
This was a temporary setup so I just ran the line through the window to the driver's position. (I added a filter to protect the manometer from oil vapor in the event I had a lot of excess pressure).

At Idle the crankcase is -1.1 psig at startup, and at full operating temperature it's -0.75 to -0.9 psig.
At WOT - for a brief moment (<1sec) the crankcase goes to atmospheric (0 psig) or slightly positive up to +0.2 psig.
As the engine revs the crankcase rapidly goes back to vacuum of -0.3 to -0.7 psig.

This is exactly what it should do.

In the pics I have included a plot of RPM (divided by 100 to scale it) and vehicle speed (MPH not KPH) and load to show the conditions under which I performed the test. I punched it quite a few times.

Here are two good articles about the importance of always maintaining vacuum conditions in the crankcase:

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that I finally fixed the 'excess oil on piston tops' issue.
Here is the video:

The PCV assembly was allowing too much oil vapor into the intake manifold.
I had added a catch can and that helped but the most effective solution was adding SS mesh screens to the PCV assembly.
Now bone dry (catch-can contraption was removed last year.)
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Audio equipment Jewellery Cookware and bakeware

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that I finally fixed the 'excess oil on piston tops' issue.
Here is the video:

The PCV assembly was allowing too much oil vapor into the intake manifold.
I had added a catch can and that helped but the most effective solution was adding SS mesh screens to the PCV assembly.
Now bone dry (catch-can contraption was removed last year.)
View attachment 142721 View attachment 142722
View attachment 142723
Thx for posting that DSportMag reference, your pictures,
and also the pdf re crankcase pressures/vacuums. Instructive 🙂, interesting....

7,399 Posts
I'm gonna be nice ...That looks like the biggest waste of time and hillbilly BS I might have seen...Oil getting into the intake manifold of a F136 engine on a Maserati is really isn't an issue...Thinking you can buy crap off Ebay and engineer a PCV system better then Ferrari is just interesting to say the least...I have no idea what excessive oil on the top of the pistons even means...J

·
Registered
61 Posts
That was not 'nice' Jason.

How you with 30 yrs as a Tech cannot understand the problem and the need for a solution astounds me.
You are rude and unprofessional - and if you did not occasionally give sound and reasoned advice - I'd consider you a miserable troll - as your disparaging comment is classified.
Take a long hard look in the mirror and consider being kinder - you may be a fixture on the Maserati forum today - but we are all on borrowed time - think about it - Seriously.

Adding the mesh coalescing screens to the PCV assembly did solve the problem - as did the catch-can (which became unnecessary).
Excess crankcase vapor drawn into the manifold precipitates as liquid in the chamber - is then burned - creating hard cinders (oxidized oil (hard carbon)) that then gets trapped between the piston and the rings and bore - possibly generating the fine scoring witnessed in my F136.
It also contributes to excess oil consumption, dirty plugs, dirty valves, shortens Cat Conv and O2 life, and can impact performance by interfering with optimal combustion.
The oil is gone now - the cylinders are clean - as they should be.
Before and after pics attached for forum participants that appreciate a civil exchange of ideas.

Attachments

7,399 Posts
Your cute comments aside..This is a great example of an "internet theory"...You have all these reasons why there is something wrong with the Ferrari designed PCV system...They all sound logical and good...Here is the problem...In reality and based on my experience with these cars they are not tearing up 02 sensors, ruining catalytic converters or having any other issues based on PCV oil consumption.. The engines travel over 100k without any issues..So through your "theory" you think you solved a problem that really didn't even exist...Do you have any idea how that catch can would look if you took the car to the dealer? The techs. would gather around like an asteroid and say WTF is that..It's a free country so do what you want, but I don't think you really solved anything...Regards...Jason

·
Registered
21 Posts

Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you for your post! It gave me and the indy BMW mechanic shop here the solution to my suspected dud GT , You see I had such vacuum generated in my intake that it was sucking oil through the PCV valve or disareator and ended up fouling the sparkplugs and causing miss fires. I know some quantity is normal in the intake but not to my extent! Pressure at the crankcase was 0 and at the disareator was 0 also. A plug at the intake was installed and a 7 feet hose was connected to the disareator directed towards the buick port holes to disipate the oil vapours.I will in the future add the double stainless steel mesh. Now she idles at 650 RPM and a tad below with AC. The best running since I replaced the valve cover gaskets, modified the cam holder cap and replaced the plenum [intake]. I thought I had done something wrong to her, but she check out good by the mechanic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you for your post! It gave me and the indy BMW mechanic shop here the solution to my suspected dud GT , You see I had such vacuum generated in my intake that it was sucking oil through the PCV valve or disareator and ended up fouling the sparkplugs and causing miss fires. I know some quantity is normal in the intake but not to my extent! Pressure at the crankcase was 0 and at the disareator was 0 also. A plug at the intake was installed and a 7 feet hose was connected to the disareator directed towards the buick port holes to disipate the oil vapours.I will in the future add the double stainless steel mesh. Now she idles at 650 RPM and a tad below with AC. The best running since I replaced the valve cover gaskets, modified the cam holder cap and replaced the plenum [intake]. I thought I had done something wrong to her, but she check out good by the mechanic.
Glad it helped - My cylinders are still clean and dry 1K miles later :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
That was not 'nice' Jason.

How you with 30 yrs as a Tech cannot understand the problem and the need for a solution astounds me.
You are rude and unprofessional - and if you did not occasionally give sound and reasoned advice - I'd consider you a miserable troll - as your disparaging comment is classified.
Take a long hard look in the mirror and consider being kinder - you may be a fixture on the Maserati forum today - but we are all on borrowed time - think about it - Seriously.

Adding the mesh coalescing screens to the PCV assembly did solve the problem - as did the catch-can (which became unnecessary).
Excess crankcase vapor drawn into the manifold precipitates as liquid in the chamber - is then burned - creating hard cinders (oxidized oil (hard carbon)) that then gets trapped between the piston and the rings and bore - possibly generating the fine scoring witnessed in my F136.
It also contributes to excess oil consumption, dirty plugs, dirty valves, shortens Cat Conv and O2 life, and can impact performance by interfering with optimal combustion.
The oil is gone now - the cylinders are clean - as they should be.
Before and after pics attached for forum participants that appreciate a civil exchange of ideas.
Wow!!! Thank you.
Finaly someone with pictures and proof!!!
I admire you sir, i gave catch cans on all of my vehicles and i know the catch cans work and they collect the oil, which sometimes its not even an oil, its a Frappuccino color crap.
I have it on both of my pick up trucks and my wifes Kia Telluride with a GDI engine and it does help a lot.
I will be looking into instaling a catch can on the Maserati as well soon, cuz seeing your pictures was enough.
Thank you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow!!! Thank you.
Finally someone with pictures and proof!!!
I admire you sir, i gave catch cans on all of my vehicles and i know the catch cans work and they collect the oil, which sometimes its not even an oil, its a Frappuccino color crap.
I have it on both of my pick up trucks and my wifes Kia Telluride with a GDI engine and it does help a lot.
I will be looking into instaling a catch can on the Maserati as well soon, cuz seeing your pictures was enough.
Thank you.
Thanks GligorovGT.
I think I have done another 1K miles since those pics - I'll post an updated pic soon of Cyl 8.
If you are able to place the Stainless Mesh screens in the valve cover coalescer, then you can skip the catch can if you want.
Either way works well but the former is easy and drains itself as Ferrari intended;)
I have a C5 Corvette and like you said - use a Catch Can there as well...no more oily intake manifold plaguing the LS1.
I also switch to Driven DT40 for the high Molybdenum content - as I inherited some fine cylinder scoring from prev owner.
Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks GligorovGT.
I think I have done another 1K miles since those pics - I'll post an updated pic soon of Cyl 8.
If you are able to place the Stainless Mesh screens in the valve cover coalescer, then you can skip the catch can if you want.
Either way works well but the former is easy and drains itself as Ferrari intended;)
I have a C5 Corvette and like you said - use a Catch Can there as well...no more oily intake manifold plaguing the LS1.
I also switch to Driven DT40 for the high Molybdenum content - as I inherited some fine cylinder scoring from prev owner.
Mark
Which brand catch can you recommend for the Granturismo?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi - I used a K-Motor because it is very well made and it fit easily under the Brake MC cowling.
But frankly if it were me - I'd just add the SS Mesh to the vapor separator/coalsescer.
I tried both methods for about 2K miles.
I ultimately removed my catch-can since the Mesh did just as well and was simpler and cleaner in appearance.
(I used five layers of mesh by the way - SS only - like they use in the 4" coffee press).
Hope this helps,
Mark
PS: For the C5 I used a $30 one off Amazon - works fine - pic attached.
PPS: If you use a Catch Can on the 4.2/4.7L - make sure you use multi-layer hose that cannot collapse under full or partial vacuum.

Attachments

7,399 Posts
Now hold up...I haven't forgotten about your cute comments when I criticized your catch can idea...I basically told you that you didn't need it and it looked like crap..I look at your post above and you said it wasn't that effective and didn't look that great...I find that pretty interesting...Jason

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Jason,
Before the hillbilly critique I had already shown that adding the Mesh had the same effect.
I do agree it looked like crap - but if the Mesh had not worked - the contraption was worth it to me to stop my cylinders from being peppered with coked carbon.
(and I should add that as someone that designs payloads for ISS - we don't always get it right - nor does Ferrari - which is why some of us have side jobs repairing their deficiencies - aka 'variators', Ford's 5.4L Triton, 6F35 transmissions, LS7 valves, among enumerable examples)
Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
And I took it badly - I put some effort into that contraption - and the slimy sooty cylinders was distressing.
It would be nice to see an endoscope sampling of the 4.7s at various mileage ...I inherited scored cylinder walls so maybe it is unique to mine...but since the
'enhanced' PCV separator fixed it - I assume the scoring is inconsequential - a non issue. The car runs strong in every respect and I sleep better knowing the intake and cylinders are clean.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts