·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HERES THE CAR
Autotrader - page unavailable

Shortened link: Autotrader - page unavailable

I'm new here, small bio:
I'm a 5-year technician and not afraid to get dirty. I just finished flipping a Genesis Coupe, had to disassemble the entire suspension, and lower the drive train to get those f*king subframe mounts pressed in. There's almost no doubt that I could get it done, as it'll be a project car and I've got plenty of time in COVID

Here's the story:
Supposedly, the keys were lost and the rich owner left it parked on his lot. Never moved since then. His assistant is selling it, and they just want it gone.

Here's why I believe it:
Called up Maserati San Diego, the onboard computer must be replaced if the keys are lost and the car is locked. Including the key, reprogramming, and computer, it's 2000$ just in parts. The car has a yellow tag sticker which means it MUST be from 2015. Makes sense, the post claims it's been sitting for 7 years.

Now here's the thing:
It's been sitting. For a very long time.

I won't be able to start it before buying, as I need the title to order the keys.

What should I be looking for during the inspection?
(rust, fluid integrity and levels, quality of rubber hoses, leaks) anything else?

What is the proper maintenance to be done before starting her up for the first time?
(Cylinder fog, starting fluid???, new spark plugs, change out the gas, flush the old gas through injectors) anything else?

Does anyone have a paint guy?
(or even a wrap for that matter)

How generally reliable is the 4200?
(it is exotic, but I've seen some of these going over 100,000!!)
How generally reliable is the Duo-Matic?
Looks like the entire internet hates it. What say you forum wisards?

Does anyone have useful links for aftermarket parts?
It seems a large majority of parts will have to come from the scrap or the dealer... true?

Does anyone have aftermarket working keys? (dealer wants $750 for a KEY)

Anything I should know before jumping in on this?
Is it a good buy? (thinking of offering 2k)

Vin: ZAMCE39A770027990

Disclaimer: Although I am young to this community if all goes well and I end up with this thing, I vow to contribute to this community as payment for your advice.

Thank you.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Parts car, period. It's not worth it to bring it back, plain and simple. I say that only IF there's nothing wrong with it to begin with BTW, at that mileage it likely needs a clutch, brakes, suspension, paint and loads of trim bits. The only thing that makes sense would be a rat rod with a turbo LS. In perfect shape it's a $15K car and this one needs a lot.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ShouldIGetIt?

·
Registered
386 Posts
At that mileage my guess is that it was parked because it needs a clutch ($5000 +) then the keys were lost. Probably has sticky buttons, and the paint is toast. This thing will nickel and dime you to death before its even running. Save yourself a bunch of time and buy a nice running one for around $12,000. Also the F1 clutch/gearbox system is complicated and is just about impossible troubleshooting without a scan tool that can communicate with it.
The parts are worth the money, but there is not a high demand for them so it could take a long time to part it out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think if you're savvy enough and have a good shop setup in your garage or know a good shop and you're well connected with people that can help source parts, install and/or fix or fabricate, then anything is really possible. The more you can do on your own the cheaper and more fun.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte 4 Evolutione V8 silver/black advanced engine management 415 HP
62 Posts
I would not buy the car either.
But if you were the owner of the car , you can order a new codecard , and then you can order a new key .You have a mechanical code on the card and maserati can make a fitting key to your locks .
The new key must be programmed to the ecu .
I don’t think that you must change a ECU.

But let us know when you start your adventure.

Best Frank

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would avoid it, projects like these are worth it if the car is rare or if the bodywork/interior were in great shape. This is neither and for the cost of the project you can get into a clean QPV.

If it was a Coupe 4200 or its variants it might’ve been worth as those are quite rare all things considered. You’re also in the USA where the used market is massive, in other countries often times if you want a specific car you might have less than 5 to choose from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THE FORUM HAS SPOKEN

I'm will most likely not flip the car, unless the heavens open up and give me money.

However,
I have a place to park it, and a flatbed.

IF YOU WERE PARTING IT OUT, HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY?

(they texted me today randomly saying they'll take 3k, thinking of offering 2k or even 1k.)

Thank you to everyone who's replied, and I'm taking your guy's word on this one, you're the experts.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Fwiw it's most likely a Sport GT and not an Executive but that's besides the point. Hard to put any value on it with the 2 biggest ticket items untested with no way to verify if they're good(engine and transmission). Even though the parts are worth a lot the market is pretty cold, you might sit on them for quite a while. The wheels and grill should go quick but the rest will likely sit. Up to you but I'd pass on the whole thing, I know it seems like a ridiculous deal but I don't think it's much of a score.

Of course if this IS your parts car...... Hmmmm

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts