Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm thinking about buying a pre-owned Maserati Coupe (2002 or 2003), but I'm worried about some of the problems I've heard about with the old Biturbos. I'm assuming that the newer coupes and spyders are less problematic, but I've got a few questions (any input would be greatly appreciated): 1. I'm going to be using the car as my "every day" car (about 12,000 miles per year), not just for weekends, etc. Is this practical, or are these cars more designed for the weekends? 2. The closest factory authorized dealer to me is about an hour and a half away, and I'm a bit worried about the car having problems and me being stranded. Has anyone had serious issues that a local mechanic can't take care of? 3. I've heard that the 2002 cars are preferable to the 2003 cars, since they were built in Ferrari's factory. Is this accurate? 4. I'd like to get a manual transmission, since, after all, it's a Maserati. Any benefits to manual v. automatic with one of these cars? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
John, I've had an '03 Spyder for about 7 months now and really like it. It works well as a daily driver. I haven't had any problems with mine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure about the Coup but I know before I ordered my Spyder GT I looked at a couple of 2002's Spdyers and was surprised how much they depreciated in such a short time and they had very low miles, could have got one in the mid 60's. was told by the dealer, and then confirmed with others that it was due to many design changes after 2002 year which made the newer cars much more desirable. I went with the GT over the Cambio shifting cause I was trading in a M3 with the sequential manual gear box, and found for me at least, that I missed the clutch. But please do not call the cambio an Automatic. It is a true manual transmission, Just has the clutch controlled by computers. Also a big plus for buying new is a full 4 year warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar question. Considering a GT coupe (I prefer the traditional stick shift to the paddles), what are the major differences between the 02 and 03 models, and what problems should I expect with each?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
tcl
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing