Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Maybe the sound in the clip is somehow amplified by the recording device ( phone, I presume ) and the noise is not as bad in person ?? If that's the case and since it goes away in a minute or so, once the engine warms up , I suppose it could be the lifters, but ( at least in my experience ) those tend to tick / rattle at a faster pace. Although, maybe on this engine it's the way they sound.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Might be a lifter, maybe, but I'd have thought it was far too slow to be all of them.

I'd nail my colours and say that's not normal at all. I've heard a fair few, and never one like that.

C

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
below is a new video, they say nothing was done to the car since the first video but sure sounds like a different car than the first video. Thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
What did the Maserati dealer say? Was the car completely cold and was that the first start of the day? With mine, if it’s warm at all it will not make the noise. Even if it’s sat for several hours, it may not make it again. It’s usually just when I first start it that day. Also it doesn’t do it everyday. If I rev my motor, it will not increase the frequency of the noise, the ticking/tapping stays the same rhythm no matter the engine idling or revving. I hope you get an explanation from the Maserati dealer. I guess cause it sounds exactly like mine and I was told this was normal and like the other guy in the video I posted, I was not told WHY this sound is normal. For what it’s worth I now have over 40k on my car with no Issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When mine makes the noise I’m going to do a few small revs and make sure the sound stays the same. I think it does but I’m going to double check cause I don’t remember 100%

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok I stand corrected. The frequency is faster when the car is revved. Though above 1500 rpms I didn’t hear it at all. Not sure if it’s the engine drowning the noise out or not. Keep us updated please

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all, I am currently shopping for a 2017 GranTurismo convertible and wondering if any current owners have any advice for me while I do my due diligence. Also wondering what are the typical maintenance costs and how often should service work be done.

Thanks!
If you do it yourself, fluids are $150 every other year; every 2 yrs is ALL fluids which is $600 (DIY). If you have to go to dealer this goes up $1k/$2k/yr.

I've gone through 3 sets of ball joints/bushings. I've driven my Masi 70k miles the past 4yrs. The design didn't change so i assume you will have the same probs. Each front set per side is "one unit" upper / lower A-arms which comes with bushings and ball joints. You can't service just the ball joint. Each kit =$1000/side on eurospares.com or scuderiarparts.com Basically w/ labor $1500/side. I've done this 3x already so i'm quite frustrated.. but that is the ONLY major issue i've had the last 70k miles. My alternator also broke at 60k miles and that cost me $2,700 to fix. My window driver side motor/regulator went out at 30k miles - I fixed that myself for $250. Everything else on the car has been perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
*Also i highly recommend you buy the Larini valved exhaust + Larini X-pipe from formula dynamics. I added both to my car and it sounds like an absolute beast! better than the GTS stock exhaust...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all, I am currently shopping for a 2017 GranTurismo convertible and wondering if any current owners have any advice for me while I do my due diligence. Also wondering what are the typical maintenance costs and how often should service work be done.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
*Also i highly recommend you buy the Larini valved exhaust + Larini X-pipe from formula dynamics. I added both to my car and it sounds like an absolute beast! better than the GTS stock exhaust...
My suggestion before you commit to anything like that is to find a GTs who has those mods and listen to it in person ( not just video / audio clips of the sound, as those can often be misleading ). I say that because sound is a very subjective matter , and whilst perhaps a majority may like that sound , there are those who do not care for it at all , and may regret buying and installing the system . Never know which group you belong in until you hear someone else’s car, you may love it or you may hate it . IMO .

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!
Hi, coincidently I am selling my own 2017 GT Convertible (picture attached) with 20k miles. I can tell you that they are very reliable cars as I use it every day. The required maintenance is once a year and you can have it done for less than $700.00

My selling price is 85k which is what I owed. Please contact me if you are interested for more details. I live in Miramar, FL.
Thank you
Alex
20180408111021_7H0A0560-01.jpeg

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have doubts about this car already, these cars can be money pits, they can also be pretty reliable. If your pockets are deep enough, the dealerships will be happy to relieve you of your cash. There are plenty of these cars on the market, take your time and find one you are totally thrilled about. Also know, for some unknown reason these cars have no value. They are beautiful and fun to drive and be seen in, but follow the auctions and realize the value of these car comes from driving them not from resale value. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bought a 2018 GT Gran Cabrio brand new. Mine makes the same noise when cold, after 2-3 minutes disappears. No big deal.

highly recommended 2018 the new electronics are awesome.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was not told what the noise what, just that is was normal. If the car you are looking at is like mine, the dealer will probably need to keep it overnight. When mine does make that sound, it does it on cold start, once it’s warmed up a little the noise completely goes away (I think 1 one two minutes big been a while since I’ve checked). Once it’s gone I don’t hear it again till the next day. So they have a very short window to hear it each day.
Mine does the same exact thing. Its a 2015 with 11k miles. Only on cold starts. Not rev dependant. and it goes away. So I guess its normal. Heres a video of mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing. Its a 2015 with 11k miles. Only on cold starts. Not rev dependant. and it goes away. So I guess its normal. Heres a video of mine.

That’s it! My car (DD) now has over 41k miles with no issues with that noise. I’ve learned these cars have some quirks but nothing I can’t live with. I would like to know what it is though. Just out of pure curiosity

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
That is rev dependant BTW, it just stops when you rev.

If it's the exhaust flaps you can test by getting underneath with a rubber mallet.

C

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is rev dependant BTW, it just stops when you rev.

If it's the exhaust flaps you can test by getting underneath with a rubber mallet.

C
Thanks C. Yes I agree. I should have said it doesnt get faster when I rev.

I will go underneath. Approx how far back are they? Mid car?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts