Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am currently shopping for a 2017 GranTurismo convertible and wondering if any current owners have any advice for me while I do my due diligence. Also wondering what are the typical maintenance costs and how often should service work be done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
welcome to the forum!
a few searches and you'll pull plenty of threads on this very topic.
number 1 answer per family fued: get a full pre purchase inspection at a dealership or reputable independent that is familiar with the cars.
2017s are well sorted and ought to not have any typical variator issues (pre- ~2010-12issue). valve cover gaskets will always leak. timing cover/power steering pump may have some seeps.

why not just go up a year to 18 with the updated radio tech?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input, I am mainly looking at 2017 because that is the price point I want to spend. I tried attaching a video to this post but it tells me not an allowed extension.

Anyways a car I am currently looking at with 6000 miles seems to have a knocking in the engine, maybe its normal? The salesman tells me "it sounds great" but not a noise I expected to hear. The car was just serviced and inspected which I have seen the paperwork. The dealer I am working with is out of my home state so i am worried about after purchase issues. If there is any mechanical problems does the warrantee cover all with no issues?

Also talking with the dealer he stated that with proper maintenance I can expect to get about 50,000 miles of life out of the car. Is this accurate? seems like a short life. I am a long time BMW owner currently driving a M6 I know not this is not the same class of car but didn't expect to hear a 50,000 life span.

If anyone knows how I can post a video i will post the video of the engine running that I took

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think that is true. Some have driven this car 100k plus miles and the overall the cars seem to be very reliable and easy to work on. Self serving, but I have my 2016 for sale with less than 9k miles and 1.5 yrs left on the warranty.

BTW, I would not trust what a sales person tells you regarding the car. Have a full PPI done by a reputable mechanic. I almost bought one remotely, because the dealer said it was "perfect" and once I had a PPI done, I backed out of the deal.

·
Super Moderator
3,882 Posts
Utterly ridiculous. Mine had 100k on it with no real issues. There's one in Europe with 300k km on it I understand.

C

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured out that I have to me a YouTube video to post video content on the forum. Below are links to 3 videos I uploaded. I would love some feedback on the engine running video. my concern is the knocking I am hearing which very apparent in the last 10 seconds of the video.

This car is for sale at a Ferrari dealer, but their is a local Maserati dealer, would I be safe to have them take to the local Maserati dealer for PPI inspection? the car does have full warrantee so maybe not much for me to worry about?

Thanks!

Engine running video
Car walk around video 1
Car walk around video 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea that does not sound right at all. I would look else where. Or get It ppi and have them warranty the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Agree, does not sound right is an understatement , that’s a horrible sound . Others here might be able to tell you what’s probably causing that but whatever it is, warranty or not I’d stay away from it . And they could tell you that’s just valve lifters ticking when the engine is cold, but to me that sounds way too loud and an entirely different rhythm than lifters make . I could be wrong , I’ve nevef heard noisy GT engine lifters but heard a lot of other cars ,and I think this is a more serious issue . Hell, it sounds like a loose timing chain ..

·
Registered
59 Posts
My car makes the exact same noise. It does it only when the engine is cold. When I bought the car it was still under warranty and I took it in and the Maserati dealership (before I took my car to Jason’s (highly recommended if you are near Atlanta)and they kept it a few days to evaluate the noise. They even called Maserati Italy (they said anyways). The guy that works on started a few other engines (cold start) and they determined this noise was normal. I’m not sure why some people have it and others don’t (temp, climate, humidity ?). There is another guy On the net that has a similar noise and his dealer told him the same thing. I’ll see if I can find his video and post it. I’m by no means an expert on these cars. Just letting you know what I was told and what I’ve found searching for this noise. I’ve had my car a year and a half and it still makes that noise and I haven’t had an issue and it’s my daily. Best of luck

·
Registered
59 Posts

Here’s a thread I started back when I bought mine. Looks like some others have the same noise. It’s very odd to me that it sounds like some of these cars make the noise and others don’t.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies! from what I am reading some make the noise and others don't, I think I want to find one that doesn't, car noises drive me crazy!! Just started looking at a 2017 1 of 400 with 3,000 miles

Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You may as well look at a 2014 like I did and really save. 3000 miles and paid $60k. FL garages and covered car . Does have the tacky button issue but I can live with it. It now has 6000 miles. These cars do throw off occasional codes due to very sensitive sensors and that can drive some people mad. As long as the code goes away you are fine. Trickle chargers are a must if not daily driven.

·
Registered
59 Posts

You may end up with the noise even if it doesn’t make it, not sure though . Found the link. I watched it again and this guy’s car makes a similar sound when the engine is warm (vs cold). Makes me wonder if it is in fact the same thing or something different. Sounds like he went through the same thing I did. Bought the car, no strange sounds then a sound came. This guy’s car was also under warranty and he took it to the dealer and they kept the car, called Maserati Italy and determined this sound was normal.
I wonder what percentage of these cars make this/these noises.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Some cars with that noise, and others without it ...yet nothing is wrong . And Maserati considers that “normal” . This is about as bizarre as it gets , IMO. I’m glad to read that those who hear the noise ( whether it does that when the engine is cold or warm ) have not had any problems with the cars, but not only would that sound drive me nuts, I’d question Maserati’s assertion that’s it’s perfectly ok for an engine to sound like that at times. Did any of the dealers who said this is normal specify what exactly produces that normal sound ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, would also drive me nuts, and definitely distracts from the beauty of the car.

The dealer I am working with is really trying to save my deal so they are taking the car back to local Maserati dealer. If they come back saying its normal, I will definitely be asking what is producing that "normal" sound. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was not told what the noise what, just that is was normal. If the car you are looking at is like mine, the dealer will probably need to keep it overnight. When mine does make that sound, it does it on cold start, once it’s warmed up a little the noise completely goes away (I think 1 one two minutes big been a while since I’ve checked). Once it’s gone I don’t hear it again till the next day. So they have a very short window to hear it each day.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts