Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m in the market for a 2002 Coupe GT 6spd is there anything I should keep my eyes out for and what is the average market price to pay for a car with 20-30k? I will be using this as my daily driver in Miami Florida and looking to put 12k+ on a year. Any thoughts would be great I will be joining you guys from never owning a car like this before. (Bmw's, Vettes, etc) Anything I should expect other then oil changes, tires, and gas?

Thanks
Justin Falla

·
Registered
681 Posts
$40-45k.

Oil, tires, service, and the clutch will be the main things. Little things may pop up here and there every once in a while but there doesn't seem to be any consistent problems that I am aware of. I think you will be very pleased with the car overall, I put about 2k miles/month on my 06 Coupe GT and also daily drove my 02 Spyder, I praise about the reliability of these cars.

Take Care,
Kevin

·
Registered
329 Posts
Make sure the car comes with a good mechanic :D

Seriously, the '02 Coupe GT is almost bullet proof in my opinion. Just make sure that the car is properly maintained (ref to mechanic). My '02 has just over 14K miles and no problems at all since I first got her. I do not drive it hard, but I am a spirited driver when road (and traffic) conditions permit safe exercise. My oil changes (ie: minor services) are more frequent than the book specs. At 15K I'll have the service report clutch wear and perform a compression check - besides the routine filters, fluids etc.

Recommendations:
1. Buy the color you like
2. Know as much history as humanly possible
3. Accept that ALL italian cars have little quirks
(they are hand built for gosh sakes)
4. When you find the one that fits your criteria - buy it, and enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you refering to the 6 spd man clutch needing replacement or the F1 tranny? I know there is alot of issues with F1 wear. I live in Miami so finding a mechanic should not be to hard for this car. Thanks for all the info so far.

Justin Falla

·
Registered
240 Posts
jbfmcar said:
Are you refering to the 6 spd man clutch needing replacement or the F1 tranny? I know there is alot of issues with F1 wear. I live in Miami so finding a mechanic should not be to hard for this car. Thanks for all the info so far.

Justin Falla

I am wondering as well? 6MT should last longer then the F1 (under same driving conditions) I blew out my 6MT in my m3 and I was more then screwed. Car was broken in the middle of the Desert in Arizona in August.... ya not fun. LOL

I am also looking for a 2002-2003 Maserati gt (manual) from what it looks, the 2002 has 18 wheels while the 2003 has 19s? correct me if I am wrong

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im in the same boat as you cant beat this car for 38-40 grand used in the 20k milage range ive seen so many beautiful examples around that i just have to get one. I see you have an M3 one of my other cars is also an M3 there great cars to daily drive.

Justin

·
Registered
681 Posts
Alex said:
I am wondering as well? 6MT should last longer then the F1 (under same driving conditions) I blew out my 6MT in my m3 and I was more then screwed. Car was broken in the middle of the Desert in Arizona in August.... ya not fun. LOL

I am also looking for a 2002-2003 Maserati gt (manual) from what it looks, the 2002 has 18 wheels while the 2003 has 19s? correct me if I am wrong
It depends on driving nature, it's easier to get more mileage out of the 6spd clutch because you are in full control and you actually know how to back-up without slipping the clutch or go up a hill. However I have seen 6spd clutch replacements as low as 15k miles and CC clutch replacements as high as 40k+ miles. You should notice it slipping if it does start to slip on the 6spd and you should be able to drive it EASY to a destination so you are not stuck in the desert.

The 02 and 03 both have 18" wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts