Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of shipping my car to Florida for the winter although I don't have a garage and I'm concerned about leaving it outside for three or four months. Can anyone assist me with the best way to ship it from Maryland? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Sioux - just sent you a PM. Did this last year from Florida to Northern Va.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Exotic Transportation

There are many quality outfits out there. Have a look in a current duPont Registry for the exotic car carriers. They cost a bit more but they do take better care of your car and often have better insurance.

I would use an enclosed transport for a Maserati, also make sure that all of their insurance is up to date. I ask for a copy of the policy before I book anything. You should only pay the deposit once the car is on the trailer or at least use a credit card and get them to confirm the pickup date or pickup window so that if the do not show, you have some recourse.

It is possible that a carrier may never show or may show up several weeks later than you wanted. Payment should only be rendered once the car arrives in excellent condition at the final location. Be sure to get signed, accurate and detailed vehicle reports before the truck leaves with your vehicle and inspect it well, top to bottom once received.

I've used many services over the years and never had a problem however I've heard stories!

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would rather hire a trailer myself and tow it down there, instead of having a trucking company do it!

Anyway, if you're really set to do it - and in addition to what Jeff wrote: make sure the car is empty, leave nothing - everything, like CD's, the manuals, spare tire (I'm serious!!!), should be out.
Also, together with the driver, and just before it rolls up on the trailer, make a very thorough survey of the car. Write down every nick, scratch, dent, all other irregularities (photos do help)and mileage. Have the driver countersign. It will be of some help when you get you car back and it doesn't really look as good as it did when it left...

Any chance you can put it in a container?

HTH and good luck
/F.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Contact Bruce Hall of Applewood Motors. He is out of West Virginia. He is responsible for for deliverying all the new Lamborghini's to the dealers from the port on the East Coast, and he is a nice guy as well.
Tell him Willie sent you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
www.uship.com .....it's kind of like the eBay for car shipping. Post what you want shipped (cars, household goods, boats, ect) and you will get bids from various different carriers. Make sure you include that it be a covered carrier and they provide insurance. You can shop around for prices, but just make sure and do your due dilligence on the company.

I've used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) before and have another friend who swears by them, but looks like you already have a few good recommendations!

·
Registered
35 Posts
siouxxxzennn, I shipped my car from snowy Chicago to sunny San Diego in Feb. I used LevelOne Transport, which 3rd partied with Kellys Auto Transport. I don't remember my drivers name, but he called every evening with an update and they were really accomodating. My very lame seller wasn't ready when they said it was & Kelly's worked with my schedule; which is sporadic at best, since I travel for work weekly.
~ Beth

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
I would venture to say it depends on the weather more than anything. Hail, Ice, etc does damage and they are less likely to cover it when you opted for open carrier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts