Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 2005 Coupe yesterday. What a blast!
On the test drive a couple of weeks ago the sales person told me to shift above 4,000 RPM and not lift my foot from the peddle as it shifts.
I believe I read somewhere else on this forum to lift your foot slightly as the gears shift for longevity of the clutch. The manual is not specific regarding RPM's to shift, and I haven't seen anything about foot position.
I know much as been written about the clutch life in the Cambio, but I wonder which is the correct method for best performance and clutch life.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Manual of the QP clearly states: "quickest shifts are made without lifting the foot ....". In sport mode they even say that fastest shifts are mad above 7000rpm without lifting the foot. However those shifts are not very comfortable nor smooth. Lifting your foot a bit makes the whole process much smoother. Don't know what the best method for preserving clutch life and system as a whole is???? Anybody?
The manual also mentions not to shift through several gears aty once but wait until the gear-change was implemented before ging to the next one. Can't you upshift 2 gears by "double-clicking" ?????

·
Registered
513 Posts
what the dealer told you, would in theory be the right choice to ensure clutch life. it will also be a more fun way to drive.

the faster the clutch engages (foot on gas, even pressing it down) will tell the Cambio to shift faster, hence, less friction on the clutch.

the clutch wears most in AUTO mode, which if you try it, holds the clutch a lot longer, lending to a more comfortable, less abrupt shift, but causing more friction and wear.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Don't decrease throttle when upshifting. As Demoe stated the quicker the car shifts, the better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Independent of clutch wear questions, but to enhance smoothness in shifting (manual and automatic mode), Maserati engineers recommend to lift off the accelerator slightly just as you are about to use the upshift paddle, then gently squeeze it back on when the taller gear has been engaged.

Again, this is a suggestion to enhance smoothness of shifting, a perceived issue with some drivers who are used to a boring but buttersmooth Lexus-type slushbox. No offense intended!

·
Registered
773 Posts
7000rpm!

what a wild trip, not in town i hope. what fun! i noticed car topped out energy and seemed to stall at or near 7000. is this possible?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Whenver possible I keep my foot on the accelerator when shifting. I rarely get to 7K before shifting, but try to do it often when getting on the freeway. Of course, it's hard to get beyond 3rd gear when going above 7k rpm before shifting!!!
The 'stalling' near 7k is likely the rev limiter kicking in. It is a weird feeling when you have the accelerator floored but the car is 'stuck'. You hit the rev limiter in a hurry on these cars.
BTW, I had 30k miles on my clutch with normally aggressive shifting up and down, always in sport mode, and only had it replaced because the F1 pump failed and had to be replaced, which required the transmission to be removed. It probably would have gotten close to 40k miles, although it did feel like it was beginning to slip at times, but this could also have been an early indication of the F1 pump failure, I don't know.
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
More clutch stuff

For what it's worth I've just bought a Oct 2004 Coupe CC which makes me beam every time I drive it! I spent a lot of time checking out clutch stuff before I bought. The car had done 12,000 miles with one owner and the clutch was 22% worn. The saleman - good guy from the excellent main dealer in Lyndhurst, Hampshire, UK who also sold the car originally said the trick was to put car in neutral when waiting at traffic lights etc. He said that holding the car in gear while stationary did the clutch no good. Perhaps I am obsessive (new concerned owner!) - but I now take it out of gear everytime I approach lights, a stop, traffic jam etc. Too early to see if it's saving my clutch.

...car just gone back in for replacement seat brackets as drivers seat wouldn't go back and forward properly, also AC leaking freezing water in both footwells and the vantity mirror broke off. All under warranty.

Still love it!

Matt

·
Registered
255 Posts
...seat memory etc

I would agree that apparent "slippage" of the clutch maybe a sign of the F1 pump about to give up as well as a worn out clutch plate.

Regarding drivers seat not moving "properly" - I assume you had a mechanical problem? For those (and I know you exist from earlier postings) who despair over the "forgetful" memory in the drivers seat - mine had been forgetting to return to original position after the back being tilted forward...then it eventually stopped moving at all when the back was tilted... but dealer performed some "magic" reset routine at last service and it now works again! Even remembers positions across battery switch-offs.
I have asked specifically how this was done - because the reset procedure posted in this forum (and the manual) worked for me on the passenger seat ONLY!
If I get any useful tips I will post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Further to my response above, I now have better information from the Maserati engineering side. The recommended easing-off and squeezing back in will not only make shifts smoother but also save clutch life, definitely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts