Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Just got off the phone with the service department at Shelton in Fort Lauderdale, FL. about doing a PPI for me on a coupe I'm looking at. They can't/won't do it due to a lawsuit. I was shocked a Maserati dealer declining (reluctantly mind you) to do this traditional service.

Mark

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK, I'll be the first. What is a PPI? That's an acronym I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
773 Posts
ppi

sounds like a small child having to, well you understand. in a world of speed, even communication takes a hurried form

·
Registered
192 Posts
PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection

That is odd. I have had Ferrari Dealers do PPI's of cars they were not selling. I can understand them not wanting to do it, but still.

-dsd

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lake Forest Sports Cars Also Wouldn't Do One

I bought a coupe from Luxury Motors in Chicago a couple of years ago, and Lake Forest Sports Cars refused to do a pre-purchase inspection because they were irritated with Luxury Motors. I could kind of understand that, except that the service rep promised that they'd do it anyway, and just before I bought the car they called back and said sorry, they wouldn't do it. I had Continental Auto Sports do it instead. Continental also was in a spat with Luxury Motors, but rose above it for the sake of a Maserati's customer.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interestingly, the service manager at Shelton gave me the name of a reputable(??) Ferrari mechanic in the area to do a PPI. Just doesn't make sense to me.

One reason I sold my Lotus Esprit V8 was the lack of dealer support. We have a great Maserati dealer near by so I'm not worried from the service stand point, just a little suprised about the PPI.

Feff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Feffman said:
Interestingly, the service manager at Shelton gave me the name of a reputable(??) Ferrari mechanic in the area to do a PPI. Just doesn't make sense to me.

One reason I sold my Lotus Esprit V8 was the lack of dealer support. We have a great Maserati dealer near by so I'm not worried from the service stand point, just a little suprised about the PPI.

Feff
Is it possible that Shelton is just too busy to do PPI's at the moment? I am just thinking out loud here. I hope other Ferrari Maserati dealers do not discontinue PPI's. I would think dealers could get the customer to sign a waiver that would cover them from future legal action.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mark,

3 reasons why:

The reason alot of dealers have stopped doing PPI's is because they may upset other dealers they have a close relationship with. I.E. you cost us the sale type thing. As dishonest as it may sound non-authorized dealers can get pretty shady but because of volume have good relationships with authorized dealers. Also dealers can sue another dealer for a PPI as Shelton stated, whether they win or not varies, but having to hire a lawyer over a $300-500 service is not worth their time,

They make more money on services and most authorized dealers are BACKED UP on services. They can make a TON of money doing Ferrari services that a $300-500 PPI for a Maserati is a waste of time and space unless they really need the business. Again as any business, just trying to maximize profit.

Stupid customers; I know of a dealer that inspected a car for a customer and gave him the green flag to buy it. 7 months later the car has an alternator problem (mind you this is a 10 year old Ferrari) and the customer tells the dealer it is their responsobility to pay for the alternator because they told him everything is okay.

Solution? Private Mechanics for PPI's, there are alot of good individual shops and private mechanics to take your car to for a PPI.

I'm sure you already knew some of these info but figured I'd post it in defense of dealers for anyone that didn't understand why they wouldn't do the PPI.

Either way I hope your Maserati hunt is going good, I'm sure your ready to post the "Pics of my new Maserati thread!".

Take Care,
Kevin

·
Registered
530 Posts
It'd never occur to me to have a dealer do a PPI anyway I think it's much better to get one from an independent mechanic you trust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts