Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in San Francisco California. From what I’ve heard and some research Shell gas is the endorsed/used by Ferrari Maserati (engines) group. Knowing that I’ve consistently used Shell gas even though it’s on the higher price end. Its a piece of mind and I believe my cars performance is better....maybe?
Am I overthinking?
Want input from other folks, yeah and you too @Jason!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Definitely not required. They endorse it because they are sponsored by shell.

The main advantage of shell (at least in Canada) is their 91 octane fuel has 0% ethanol. No other gas brand here has that afaik (everything else is 5-10+%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2,966 Posts
.It is a business relationship...Let someone get pissed off at Ferrari/Maserati then Chevron could be next recommended fuel..If you watch the Ferrari factory tour all the guys have a Shell logo on....They are probably paying Shell a minimum markup for using Shell products in their cars... A lot of manufactures want to use the Ferrari logo on their products...It is a respected brand around the world.....Jason

2,966 Posts
car chondriac...A person the obsesses over every aspect of owning an automobile...Generally, finding issues that are not there or of a minimum...These symptoms will generally cost you money as you may come across a repair facility that will help you with your issue....Pierre are you listening? :p

·
Registered
362 Posts
car chondriac...A person the obsesses over every aspect of owning an automobile...Generally, finding issues that are not there or of a minimum...These symptoms will generally cost you money as you may come across a repair facility that will help you with your issue....Pierre are you listening? :p
Are you trying to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Hans.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Jason: Maybe your right. If I had my car maybe I wouldn’t be looking for things to think about.
7 weeks and counting and I’m getting really bored with the Ghibli!

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I agree with above. It is just marketing, so I just make sure I am using the premium (usually 93 octane) gas.
So happy for you that you can buy 93 pump octane. Western USA is limited to 91.
Recently I made the mistake of not paying attention when Speedway bought out 90% of the Shell gas stations in my town. I discovered my blunder halfway through a tank fill of their 91 octane. I stopped the fill. Car immediately started having a lumpy idle. Upon research, Speedway admits that they have no Tier 1 products at all. After a tankful of Shell 91 octane, the idle returned to smooth as silk. Maybe Chevron would have done the same thing, since they put some Techron in their mixtures. My moral to the story is I'm sticking with Shell as long as there are a few independent retail outlets that did not succumb to the quick money lure.

Now about that Shell credit card: the Shell deal down here is a 5 cents per gallon discount when using a Shell card. I'd check what the deal is in SFO. When I was in SoCal last week I was amazed that premium there goes for $1.50/gal more than I pay at my local Shell station at home. So depending upon how much driving is done, the card discount might be more value than the airline miles on a different card.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Techron is the real deal. When I was GM at a dealership, the factory would not do warranty repairs to fuel injection systems until you ran a tank of fuel or two with a bottle of Techron added. Often it fixed the issue. But sometimes it didn't......
Hans.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Stuff changes.... There is no constant.

Back when I was a young mechanic's apprentice at the tender age of 14, Shell was to be avoided at all costs. We did a lot of engine work, and customers using Shell had bunches of deposits on the back side of both intake and exhaust valves. As well as gummed up carburetors. (remember those?)

That was in the 1960's. Now Shell is seen as a premier fuel supplier.

They even are apparently implicated in a high tech cheating scandal involving the Ferrari F1 team. True rocket science stuff.

Hans.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just follow the truck that goes from Mobil to Shell to Costco etc. Your brand loyalty has NOTHING to do with the product you ultimately use.

Techron is the real deal but DI motors, from what I researched don't benefit from it. RRS throws a code every time I run a bottle thru it now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts