Maserati Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Never played with a Leo so cant say if it has other stuff.

For all the things I’d imagine I’d need to do for the clutch, it seems to have. Both actuator and clutch bleed, programming new clutch thickness, setting PIS and reading all the F1 Params and codes.

Maybe someone else more experienced can share if there’s anything else and I can confirm if launch has it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
Launch totally hacks Leo's software - China Tool and they have no respect for IP. Erik is correct, the Maserati SD2 is not the same as the Ferrari SD2 (I own two Ferrari SD2's). My buddy Matt knew the details but sadly he passed away.

5,880 Posts
The Leo is not a factory tool...I don't think it is hacked software, but I'm unsure how it was made...I'm not super familiar with SD2 Ferrari or Maserati...With the Leo I can use Ferrari applications to get into a lot of the modules on a Maserati...It helps if you know who makes it so you can match up similar communication protocols.....Jason

·
Registered
842 Posts
The Leo is not a factory tool...I don't think it is hacked software, but I'm unsure how it was made...I'm not super familiar with SD2 Ferrari or Maserati...With the Leo I can use Ferrari applications to get into a lot of the modules on a Maserati...It helps if you know who makes it so you can match up similar communication protocols.....Jason
Correct, the Leonardo is made by Accinni https://www.accinni.com/leonardo-supercars-diagnostic-tool/?lang=en

They reverse engineered the hardware / software. I don't have any personal experience but I know plenty of techs that do and while the tool is generally considered very good, it does have bugs. You just cannot beat a factory tool.

Launch has hacked Accinni's software and you can even see Accinni's copywrite in the Lanuch software (they were not smart enough to scan the code and remove it).

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
These diag tools are powerful and potentially able to shut down a properly working Maserati (simply by setting parameters outside of range) if you don't know how to use them (even with the good tools), this is why it's almost always better to spend that money on a good tech over a incomplete tool when it comes to these specialty cars. Working with incomplete tools that aren't aware of all the different CFC versions / configurations / protocols for the F1 cars will be a problem. We just had a customer make his car completely undrivable playing with an off brand tool (Not Leo or Factory). We're having to have the TCU reflashed back to factory settings just to get him running again (even the Leo can't restore him now). These off brand tools may eventually get there but I would urge caution in using them on the F1 systems. There is probably less concern with other areas of the car but its tough to say. What's clear is that they aren't yet at the level of the Leo or factory tools and definitely have the ability to to cause harm as well as good.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
2006 Maserati GS - FD DBW, FabSpeed Exhaust, Fast Wheels Canada, Titanium Blue wrap, Cuio Interior
5 Posts
I see merit to both you and Jason's stance on this, I d9nt want to dick with it either, bit the fact of the matter is that quality dealer and independent support is dwindling for these cars, and self maintaining owners need to get themselves up to speed. To put this in perspective, here in Denver, there are 2 Maserati dealers, 1 ferrari dealer, and 2 good indies. Ferrari doesn't have the Maserati software, Mike Ward Maserati doesn't have the software for GS and Cambiocorsa. Sil Ter-har Maserati has the software, but only one qualified technician to operate it, and if he quits, transfers, leaves, etc??? One of the two independents says they can't set up a CC clutch, the other says "may be able to, but it is hit or miss."

Ultimately, I'd never want to get into the intricacies of what already seems like an exceedingly complicated and temperamental system, nor would I suggest anyone else want to do the same, but at the same time, if I'm down to my last contact in a major city with a good amount of established Italian car support, it seems almost foolish not to start exploring alternatives of we're in these cars for the long haul.
I just did a clutch replacement on my 06 GS. The clutch work was done at indie shop "Sauls AutoTech." They do not have the software to set the clutch. Mike Ward Maserati DOES now have the software for GS/Cambiocorsa--they did a great job with my car. Solid service and communication. I dealt with a service manager named Noah.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just did a clutch replacement on my 06 GS. The clutch work was done at indie shop "Sauls AutoTech." They do not have the software to set the clutch. Mike Ward Maserati DOES now have the software for GS/Cambiocorsa--they did a great job with my car. Solid service and communication. I dealt with a service manager named Noah.
Thanks for the info, what did the clutch run at Saul's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man, some of those folks just sound like morons...Should be able to use Ferrari software on a M138...It is the same system...Occasionally, if I can't communicate with a system on a car using Maserati then I'll switch to a near model Ferrari...Like use a 430 to communicate with a M138..It is not hard to set up the clutch...You reset the wear index after clutch replacement....Drive some and then set the PIS with a warm clutch..It should start to grab at 1100-1200 RPMs basic stuff here...I can do the entire thing in 25 minutes including the test drive...Those guys just sound like they don't want to do it...Jason

Hi Jason,
I am Julien from France,

I ve been through the forum here and in France to find answers and it seems your are expert so I would like to know if you can advise.
I am currently negotiating a car in Germany, a gransport (just love this car!)
and the (re)seller told me the clutch have been changed not so long ago but there are issues since then:
  • first gear and reverse gear are hard (even when the car has been driven). You can’t move slowly. Otherwise when driving, you can change the gears normally.
  • results of the gear check are negative

Do you think the gear has been improperly installed or would it be some settings/ fine tunings that missed (PIS)?
The reseller said to me negative results let him think sensor has been set the wrong way but I doubt of it.

thank you if you can help, the car is attractive and the price is ok given there are some mechanical issues. If I know I m not going into huge troubles I could take the risk. If you think clutch is down or other thing is involved well would be good to know.

have a good day

cheers

julien

5,880 Posts
Hi Jason,
I am Julien from France,

I ve been through the forum here and in France to find answers and it seems your are expert so I would like to know if you can advise.
I am currently negotiating a car in Germany, a gransport (just love this car!)
and the (re)seller told me the clutch have been changed not so long ago but there are issues since then:
  • first gear and reverse gear are hard (even when the car has been driven). You can’t move slowly. Otherwise when driving, you can change the gears normally.
  • results of the gear check are negative

Do you think the gear has been improperly installed or would it be some settings/ fine tunings that missed (PIS)?
The reseller said to me negative results let him think sensor has been set the wrong way but I doubt of it.

thank you if you can help, the car is attractive and the price is ok given there are some mechanical issues. If I know I m not going into huge troubles I could take the risk. If you think clutch is down or other thing is involved well would be good to know.

have a good day

cheers

julien
I wouldn't buy any car that didn't drive correctly to begin with..The seller needs to have that repaired ..Jason

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
522 Posts
I wonder if the clutch was replaced by a shop that didn't have the software to reset the wear index and PIS, so it was still using the settings from the old clutch. If that's the case, I would also question whether they changed the throwout bearing and F1 sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder if the clutch was replaced by a shop that didn't have the software to reset the wear index and PIS, so it was still using the settings from the old clutch. If that's the case, I would also question whether they changed the throwout bearing and F1 sensor.
Thank you both for your replies,
I m going to ask a duplicate of the invoice when the gear has been changed to see what has been done.
I know it may be a riskier operation than just buying a car that works well. But anyway buying a used car is somehow every time a bet. Here given the price is competitive I can keep an extra budget to make it works properly. I also know it may be super costly to fix issues with a Maserati that is why I’d prefer first to get some answers from the owner community

·
Registered
920 Posts
I wouldn't buy any car that didn't drive correctly to begin with..The seller needs to have that repaired ..Jason
Can confirm. Unless you're capable of at least doing the full diagnostics you'll burn a hole in your pocket very quickly. The car's are simple but there isn't a lot information out there so a lot of time is spent figuring things out so your labour costs will balloon.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts