Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been successful setting the PIS using the X431 tool?

I can seemingly read the value (in my case it's showing a 4.97), but writing, although it spins and the dialog seems to imply it is saving, never seems to actually adjust the value (e.g. I read back the exact same value of 4.97 no matter what I try and write).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the risks. Just wondering though if someone has been successful and I’m just doing it wrong. It feels like the no decimal point bug Ferrari had.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I see merit to both you and Jason's stance on this, I d9nt want to dick with it either, bit the fact of the matter is that quality dealer and independent support is dwindling for these cars, and self maintaining owners need to get themselves up to speed. To put this in perspective, here in Denver, there are 2 Maserati dealers, 1 ferrari dealer, and 2 good indies. Ferrari doesn't have the Maserati software, Mike Ward Maserati doesn't have the software for GS and Cambiocorsa. Sil Ter-har Maserati has the software, but only one qualified technician to operate it, and if he quits, transfers, leaves, etc??? One of the two independents says they can't set up a CC clutch, the other says "may be able to, but it is hit or miss."

Ultimately, I'd never want to get into the intricacies of what already seems like an exceedingly complicated and temperamental system, nor would I suggest anyone else want to do the same, but at the same time, if I'm down to my last contact in a major city with a good amount of established Italian car support, it seems almost foolish not to start exploring alternatives of we're in these cars for the long haul.

2,981 Posts
Man, some of those folks just sound like morons...Should be able to use Ferrari software on a M138...It is the same system...Occasionally, if I can't communicate with a system on a car using Maserati then I'll switch to a near model Ferrari...Like use a 430 to communicate with a M138..It is not hard to set up the clutch...You reset the wear index after clutch replacement....Drive some and then set the PIS with a warm clutch..It should start to grab at 1100-1200 RPMs basic stuff here...I can do the entire thing in 25 minutes including the test drive...Those guys just sound like they don't want to do it...Jason

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, some of those folks just sound like morons...Should be able to use Ferrari software on a M138...It is the same system...Occasionally, if I can't communicate with a system on a car using Maserati then I'll switch to a near model Ferrari...Like use a 430 to communicate with a M138..It is not hard to set up the clutch...You reset the wear index after clutch replacement....Drive some and then set the PIS with a warm clutch..It should start to grab at 1100-1200 RPMs basic stuff here...I can do the entire thing in 25 minutes including the test drive...Those guys just sound like they don't want to do it...Jason
Is the TCU the same between the M138 and F430? Maybe I can try setting PIS via the F430 selection instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2,981 Posts
I don't think it is exactly the same as far as the part#...Like I said I have just seen some knockoff software give out some odd readings and I would be scared to alter anything with it...We have a Leonardo so it works perfectly as far as the F1 goes...The launch x431 definitely falls into knockoff category... Sorry for hating on your scan tool.. ;) Jason

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it is exactly the same as far as the part#...Like I said I have just seen some knockoff software give out some odd readings and I would be scared to alter anything with it...We have a Leonardo so it works perfectly as far as the F1 goes...The launch x431 definitely falls into knockoff category... Sorry for hating on your scan tool.. ;) Jason
No worries! Just can’t justify a Leo for a single car. If I can solve this PIS problem, this tool ends up doing EVERYTHING I could need for about $600. All the other measurements/readings have aligned with what the dealers SD2 showed. Hard to beat the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh, I totally get that...The Leo is so expensive it is stupid....We just spent stupid money to get updated....Jason
I'm curious: Do Leo updates give the software for newer or more vehicles, or does it just update support for vehicles already covered? I.E. - Does it allow diagnostics, for instance, for 2019 cars, or does it improve (or correct errors) in older cars that were previously on the machine?

Hans.

2,981 Posts
It updates old software if there is a flaw and can add new models...They like to charge you to add models..Example....Ghibli they charge 5k$...Dealing with them is a lesson in patience..Here is my latest dealing...Send unit to Italy for updates and new motherboard etc...Unit returns with a screw floating around inside..They send power adapter for Europe and not USA...Had to modify cord...Battery won't charge...Instead of just sending me a new Li-PO, they want a video....Figure out unit has an issue and has to be sent back to Italy for another unit...We ate the shipping...Like I said requires patience and at this point we are so used to it it seems normal....J

·
Registered
362 Posts
It sounds a lot like owning an Italian car.....

Hans.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
For the record, there are two SD2 units - one for Maserati to cover the M138 and one for the 360, etc. They are not interchageable. The Ferrari SD2 won't work on the M138.

Not sure about the SD3. I know the unit should work on both Maserati and Ferrari but I'm not sure about the software for each side or whether or not the dealers are renewing subscriptions to service the dwindling few remaining customers. Some have already sold off their SD units and have replaced them with the SDX. One dealer down here sold the SD3 complete with all manuals recently - he was asking $24K but he said he would take $18K. The SDX, by the way won't work on Maserati.

Jason is right about the parameters on the knockoffs. Sometimes there are coverage holes and other times the data is just plain wrong (which is far more dangerous). This has happened on the old Texa software and with my Autel. My 906 works great on my 2005 (I compared it to the SD in terms of reading values) but on the 2002 Cambio, some data is missing and some is not accurate. I had to pull some data as a 2002 and other data as a 2005. The 2007 QP also has coverage holes, requiring me to input the vin as a 2005.

·
Registered
508 Posts
if i had to think on it, i'd say the aftermarket scanners probably have a specific SOFAST software in mind and apply it to all models, even though the software on the cars changed just about nearly year to year, from SOFAST on 02-03, SOFAST 2 followed by 3 and 4 later on.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Totally agree. It seems that mine works well on only the SOFAST3 and has coverage holes on the SOFAST/2 and gives the wrong data on SOFAST 3+. It allows for different NCR selections but they don't actually work lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a FYI, I talked to Launch and they acknowledged a issue. They have promised a software upgrade (when who knows...)

I was tempted to try acting as a F430 (the data read was fine) but I didnt go as far as trying to actually try programming the PIS out of fear of unknown differences.

2,981 Posts
Yeah, I probably wouldn't do that...I'm able to go back forth on my Leo on some models, but I would not try it with a Launch....I suspect their Ferrari software is pretty lousy...Jason

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
As I’ve been talking with Launch, they released a new update today for Maserati v10.96.

The PIS setup is fixed. I spent a bit of time with it this morning and closed my PIS down from the dealer starting point of 4.96 to 4.40. I still wasn’t getting any measured drag on the gearbox input. I didn’t close it down any further yet as I wasn’t sure how warmed up the clutch was (really cold outside today).

Car starts off so much better now.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
It is correct to interpret the above to say the Launch x431 will do all that the Leonardo will do? Or all that the Leo will do in respect of clutch setup? Is there anything associated with clutch setup (including setting up from a new clutch install) that X431 won't do but Leonardo or factory tool will do?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts