Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

What I honestly would like to know is - has any forum member done a before and after with an ECU flash for their 4200/GS and did a legit before and after comparison with gains they can share with the forum?

As I anxiously await my car being lowered and DBW enhancement module to be installed, I was just curious if this mod is worth it.

Yes, I’ve done a forum search and read quite a bit. Honestly, I get the concept and that with our normally aspirated engines there isn’t a lot to gain…..so if anyone has some real world experience and can share some dyno sheets, please do.

1. No, I don’t want to buy another car with more power.

2. No, I’m not concerned with the cost of the tune or flash.

3. I love cars and this is a hobby of mine.

4. Yes, I know that the suspension would be a better upgrade…but that’s not what I am asking here…

5. I don’t need some scientific explanation on the workings of an internal combustion engine.

6. Just looking for an honest answer and proof from any forum member.

7. I don’t want to hear about any tunes on non-Maserati’s.

As always, I appreciate everyones feedback…good, bad and sarcasm.

Kindly,
Stephen

7,158 Posts
I'm not really sure how much response you'll get when you make a post like that..." What you don't need" etc...I know you, but I have nothing for you...Just kinda rude...Jason

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure how much response you'll get when you make a post like that..." What you don't need" etc...I know you, but I have nothing for you...Just kinda rude...Jason
You’re right - apologies…perhaps I should have had a softer approach…regardless…you’re opinion would be appreciated and respected.

Kindly,
Stephen

7,158 Posts
No worries...I have never seen results on a 4200..I would contact FD and see if you can get some dyno sheets from them...I imagine you pick up 20-25 HP....Jason

·
Registered
2005 CC Coupe
80 Posts
From what little I've read I would never do it to my car. Isn't a bit of the little gain from jacking up the redline? Most likely a loss of streetability also....balls to the wall with little in between?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what little I've read I would never do it to my car. Isn't a bit of the little gain from jacking up the redline? Most likely a loss of streetability also....balls to the wall with little in between?
I am not sure - good point. I believe peak horsepower is obtained at 7,000 RPM with no tune….so not quite sure around the science of going far beyond that. I appreciate your feedback - thank you.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries...I have never seen results on a 4200..I would contact FD and see if you can get some dyno sheets from them...I imagine you pick up 20-25 HP....Jason
Thank you Jason, I know for a fact they have dyno sheets…but was hoping for a forum member or 2 had their own dyno sheets…Appreciate your commentary.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never dyno’d before and after, and I installed the dbw and the ecu upgrade at the same time. The DBW did everything it was supposed to do, shorten shifts, made driving in non sport mode and shifts at 3k smooth as well as in sport and msp off things are a lot tighter shift wise. I’m only stating the obvious of the DBW so that you get an understanding that what I say next is what I think I’ve gained from the ecu upgrade separate from the DBW. Exhaust notes changed at medium to higher rpms (have tubi mufflers only) most people that are familiar with my car thought I did more exhaust work ie headers and a car delete or something. That might be the only tangible change, but as a driver the car was a bit sluggish before, really needed to get above 5k to hit that powerband, and now I can get the torque I’m looking for at a bit lower rpm 38-42, the car still drops off at about 7200 rpms, which iirc was about the same prior. I’m in southern oregon at 2k ft elevation if that matters 🤷🏻‍♂️. Also one of my favorite things is on the down shift in sport mode, lots more popping and crackling which is always an enjoyable tune since I haven’t replaced my torn paper speakers they put in this 100k(when new) car lol. So in conclusion I think i picked up some lower end torque, and like Jason said maybe 20-25hp, but that’s such a small amount it’s really hard to tell as a driver, but there is definitely a more useable power range than before.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never dyno’d before and after, and I installed the dbw and the ecu upgrade at the same time. The DBW did everything it was supposed to do, shorten shifts, made driving in non sport mode and shifts at 3k smooth as well as in sport and msp off things are a lot tighter shift wise. I’m only stating the obvious of the DBW so that you get an understanding that what I say next is what I think I’ve gained from the ecu upgrade separate from the DBW. Exhaust notes changed at medium to higher rpms (have tubi mufflers only) most people that are familiar with my car thought I did more exhaust work ie headers and a car delete or something. That might be the only tangible change, but as a driver the car was a bit sluggish before, really needed to get above 5k to hit that powerband, and now I can get the torque I’m looking for at a bit lower rpm 38-42, the car still drops off at about 7200 rpms, which iirc was about the same prior. I’m in southern oregon at 2k ft elevation if that matters 🤷🏻‍♂️. Also one of my favorite things is on the down shift in sport mode, lots more popping and crackling which is always an enjoyable tune since I haven’t replaced my torn paper speakers they put in this 100k(when new) car lol. So in conclusion I think i picked up some lower end torque, and like Jason said maybe 20-25hp, but that’s such a small amount it’s really hard to tell as a driver, but there is definitely a more useable power range than before.
Much appreciated, 20-25 horsepower is what FD is quoting. Not much point in revving past 7k RPMs…although it’s fun sometimes to do. Did they send you a separate module?

Thank you for your input.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
26 Posts
IIrc it was a separate module, that plugged into one of the dbw's harness's. Don't quote me on that though it was over a year ago and is tucked away now. I'm happy with it, the more useable power throughout the gears makes the most noticeable change in the driving experience i get in the mountains of oregon.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Go to the Formula Dynamics website, and select High Power ECM Performance Chip. It will show the technical aspects of what's involved, as well as dyno sheets. Jeff and FD is by far the most established shop offering in house upgrades for our cars. I have a tuned ECU from them, and noticed a good gain, but I do have headers and full exhaust to go with it. I do believe if you want to see the most out of the tune or the chip, you need at least to replace the mid-pipes, and the factory ones are crushed to clear the crossmember, and are super restrictive.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go to the Formula Dynamics website, and select High Power ECM Performance Chip. It will show the technical aspects of what's involved, as well as dyno sheets. Jeff and FD is by far the most established shop offering in house upgrades for our cars. I have a tuned ECU from them, and noticed a good gain, but I do have headers and full exhaust to go with it. I do believe if you want to see the most out of the tune or the chip, you need at least to replace the mid-pipes, and the factory ones are crushed to clear the crossmember, and are super restrictive.
Yes sir, thank you very much. I have done that. I have the Larini decats and after market rear Tubi boxes. I went ahead and pulled the trigger….the dealer has not installed my DBW yet so they are going to send it back to FD and program the DBW with their Performance Tune module I am getting. I appreciate the direction. The gains look pretty good.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
46 Posts
Greenrose, please forgive me if already stated, but is your car a GT (stick shift) or CC (paddle). Also, very much sympathize with your stereo speaker woes.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've seen dyno sheets for a custom tune done in Australia, but I don't have any copies myself. About 15wkW is what you can expect (20hp) but every engine is different and I've seen as much as 25wkW.

If you're really serious about tuning your car a stand alone ECU would be the way to go. It is something I want to do, but I need to understand how the CC system talks to the ECU better. @tulit might be able to give some insight if he is still active.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen dyno sheets for a custom tune done in Australia, but I don't have any copies myself. About 15wkW is what you can expect (20hp) but every engine is different and I've seen as much as 25wkW.

If you're really serious about tuning your car a stand alone ECU would be the way to go. It is something I want to do, but I need to understand how the CC system talks to the ECU better. @tulit might be able to give some insight if he is still active.
Hi Lambertius,

I shipped my Drive by wire enhancement back to Formula Dynamics where it will be “mated” to another external module where the “ECU Tune” itself will live. Is that what you are referring to as “stand alone”?

Super excited to have these mods added:

1. Lowering Springs
2. Drive by wire
3. ECU Tune

I know FD advertises around $2k for the ECU time….however I though it was worth mentioning that if you couple that with the Drive by wire enhancement, it’s $500.00 less….hopefully I didn’t screw that up with how it works…that price made it a bit more palatable.

I suspect it will be a totally different car as I’ve been driving it like this for 14 years roughly…when I had the decats installed I could tell a difference in the revving characteristics almost instantly.

Hope you’re well.

Kindly,

·
Registered
229 Posts
In short the TCU is looking for various data points on CAN from the other computers on the bus. Namely rpm, tp, switch states, torque request and a few others. If you can program your standalone to mimic these messages there’s some hope you may get it going. To do a proper integration though you’d also want to work in the opposite direction to ensure the safety like the start inhibit, engine shutdown etc also worked. Would be easier on a 6MT car for sure ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Btw not sure if anyone has tried something like a “pedal commander” device on these cars. DBW is just modifying the throttle position signal (however it does seem to have a additional RPM input variable).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts