Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on the functionality of the Xenon headlamps. My wife's 2006 Saab 9-5 has them also. However, when she starts her car, the lights sort of "dip" down and then come back up as the level themselves.

I've noticed that my Maserati does not do that. They just come on. Not sure if they are supposed to work similar to the Saab units.

·
Registered
824 Posts
They are not auto-levelling (like my 9-5) and not in-car adjustable (like my Subaru STi was).

How this complies with US DOT FMVSS regs, I have no idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Xenon lights caught my eye. one of my xenon lights went out on my 02 coupe. looked at the manual and it says take it to the dealer. can anyone tell me what is involved in replacing a headlight? If it is a lot of trouble (expensive) to replace should I do both lights? Is it normal to have them go out with 20k miles? thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
Xenon lights caught my eye. one of my xenon lights went out on my 02 coupe. looked at the manual and it says take it to the dealer. can anyone tell me what is involved in replacing a headlight? If it is a lot of trouble (expensive) to replace should I do both lights? Is it normal to have them go out with 20k miles? thanks
You can replace a xenon yourself but be very, very careful. They are driven by a very high voltage power pack! You want to be careful with that!

They are not cheap and you don't want to replace both if you do not have to.

You can do a search for Xenon replacement bulbs. Daniel Stern might sell them as well.

For DLP TV's and projectors they are $300-$500 each!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The bulb should cost less than $100. You may try to take a look on ebay. But if the electronics go bad, it should cost more. It will cost a lot if you get from dealer. By the way, I have a used xenon headlight assembly lying around in my house. It is a driver side from blue color car. If you want the electronics, send me the private messege.

To change the bulb,the easiest way, you have to remove the wheel and the wheel well. Then you could reach the light housing and open it to take the bulb out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts