Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I know there are a few threads on this topic. I have read through them all and can't find my specific question. With that being said: I recently threw a p0491 & p0492 code. I've reset it twice with it only to come back after the drive cycle was completed. Today I was checking some of the vacuum lines and realized the secondary air pump was leaking a good amount of air from the sides. Is this normal? Can someone shed some light on the way this system should operate? I have attached a picture. The yellow circle is where the air was coming from. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok just wanted to follow up on this old topic. My check engine light eventually came back on and I dealt with it for a while. Today I finally got around to doing a vacuum test on the lines. I had some leakage and traced it up to this (attached image)
From reading through the forums I've gathered that if there's a large enough leak it will throw both p0491 & p0492 codes. I believe that was my problem. I think it's all sorted now but any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
not to bring up an old thread again but i just wanted to point out i had this same issue happen. I believe while i was changing the valve cover gaskets and had everything apart i must of jostled it loose and it popped off after a few weeks of driving. Being that more and more people are doing more major maintenance it is something that could happen with this system. There are a lot of connection points and it doesn't take much to pull them loose. This is just something every should double check. If you do minor stuff like belts, oil changes, coolant, brakes, etc. you don't really need to worry about it. If you are pulling off the intake, valve covers, timing cover, variators, etc. it is very easy to yank one loose. It's pretty easy to diagnose, just follow all the lines between the secondary air pump and the 2 valves for each bank. There is a painted line at each connection, if you see a gap between the end of the rubber hose and the paint marker on the metal line its probably been pulled loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts