Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my driver's seat with a lovely Recaro (passenger seat to follow once it is in stock). From my studies of threads here, on SM, and having done lots of troubleshooting of seat and mirror issues - I believe the ECU that stores the seat and mirror positions is embedded in the front end of the driver's seat.
While clearly, storing seat positions would be rather futile at this point, I would like to be able to adjust my mirrors using the electric controls on the console, and that is disabled at present due to the lack of connection to the ECU.
Before I go forward with a long fishing expedition for wiring diagrams and pinouts to try to hack a solution, has anyone else already done this? Tips and lessons learned would be greatly appreciated. If not, then I'll be tackling this at my own glacial pace, but will post progress and lessons learned here.
All that said, the new Recaro has added a new level of joy to spirited driving.
RECARO: RECARO - RECARO Sportster GT (recaro-automotive.com)

·
Registered
155 Posts
As suggested elsewhere you can leave the memory module plugged into the loom. This does work. That said, identifying the correct pins to bridge should'nt be difficult - if you get stuck I've a spare module and could do a bit of trial and error. I'll be swapping back in my refurb'ed original seats in the not too distant.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As suggested elsewhere you can leave the memory module plugged into the loom. This does work. That said, identifying the correct pins to bridge should'nt be difficult - if you get stuck I've a spare module and could do a bit of trial and error. I'll be swapping back in my refurb'ed original seats in the not too distant.
Thanks @navcorr. I had intended to resell the seats, but the installer apparently cannibalized one of the connectors to facilitate the use of the seat belt circuit. So, I'll rip out the ECU and see if the remaining wiring is sufficient to get the mirrors working.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No problem. Maybe replace the connector the installer used? It's a 3 position TE Multilock .070
Only 2 pins used though.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem. Maybe replace the connector the installer used? It's a 3 position TE Multilock .070
Only 2 pins used though.
Sounds reasonable, but the harness is in a bit less of a state of readiness, as it appears the installers hired a rabid badger to figure out the seat belt wiring. Going to first try it as is to see if the remaining wiring supports mirror operation, then, if not - two options. Purchase the detailed wiring diagrams via access to Maserati TechInfo (that helped immensely when troubleshooting door lock issues last year!) to rebuild the harness, or buy a used harness from the exotics scrapyard in California. The former would be an exercise in patience to do over the winter, and would gain me new skills (never assembled a harness before), while the latter is a way to buy myself out of a problem. We'll see how it goes with the existing wiring first. Oh, and the third option, live without remote mirror operation. Which isn't all that much of a stretch as my wife is happy always being the passenger, though that does bother my engineering brain to allow such a basic function to remain failed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ouch. It's not too bad tbh - seen far worse. Maybe of use - positions numbered from the rear of the connector:

1 Pink/Purple
2 Black
3 Red
4 Red (thicker)
5 Black/Green
6 Pink/Red
7 Blue/Black
8 Black/Red
9 Orange/White
10 Yellow/Black
11 White/Black

Haven't identified the connector but it's a hybrid - probably TE. Although, presumably, you still have this under the Recaro. Nothing to stop you reclaiming the connector and repairing the original harness. Now you know which wires to connect for the seatbelt you can use any suitable connector and simply tap in the loom.

Edit: Connector housing is TE 85110-1, both it and the loom plug TE 85109-1 are NLA.
Be careful with those seat connectors chaps.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch. It's not too bad tbh - seen far worse. Maybe of use - positions numbered from the rear of the connector:

View attachment 139053

View attachment 139054

1 Pink/Purple
2 Black
3 Red
4 Red (thicker)
5 Black/Green
6 Pink/Red
7 Blue/Black
8 Black/Red
9 Orange/White
10 Yellow/Black
11 White/Black

Haven't idfentified the connector but it's a hybrid - probably TE. Although, presumambly, you still have this under the Recaro. Nothing to stop you reclaiming the connector and repairing the original harness. Now you know which wires to connect for the seatbelt you can use any suitable connector and simply tap in the loom.
Thanks for the connector info! Saved me a techinfo subscription. Will dive into this as time allows, will be a rewarding mini project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled the seat to have a peek at the connector job they did. Lo and behold… they cannibalized the factory connector to make the seat belt connection work. Perfect. Still a bit of work to get Humpty Dumpty back together again, but at least all of the parts are there.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled the seat ECU, and pulled the position saving switch from the side of the seat while at it.
Ready to bring these to the car and attempt to reconstruct the floor connector to the seat harness, then will mount the seat ECU under the new seat, with the position save switch, so that mirror positions are able to be stored.
At least… these are the goals. Let’s see how the ECU responds to being installed without the rest of the seat connectors attached.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

To remove ECU
1. Remove 10mm nuts from front underside of seat
2. Remove 2 plastic retainers (pull their central plug lock, then pry to remove)
3. Remove 2 phillips screws to side control panel, pop out switches, and feed them through the underside of the seat
4. Remove 2 hex key screws at outer leading edges of seat underside. These are the underside of the hold down bracket for the ECU
5. Pull the seat leather away from the frame on the lower seat, starting at the front, to expose the padding and ECU. Pull out the ECU with cable still connected through the leather
6. Disconnect the ECU cable and feed it back through the leather

Voila! ECU, harness and switches all removed.

I only plan to reuse the memory switch, so you’ll note that is the only one still connected

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good progress. Having looked at the parts diagram again there are both RHD & LHD versions of the ecu harness. The photo of my connector is a RHD whereas I guess you have LHD. I wouldn't think the pin arrangements would be different - more likely to be the physical layout/taping of the cabling but thought best to mention it.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reinstalled this morning as my workout partner is sleeping in.

All wires re-inserted into the connector thanks to @navcorr! However, found a surprise of three snipped pink/red wires coming from the ECU harness from different cable bundles. Looks like they all end up spliced together, curiously enough.
Photo shows the three loose wires twisted together and just below it three black taped wire ends. Odd harness configuration, but never try to understand Italian engineering.

Redoing the splices and then let’s see if it works!

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All wires reconnected, soldered, and plasti-dipped. Figured since they all end up in the same slot on the harness connector that the order wouldn’t matter. And… victory! Mirrors work!

Thanks again to @navcorr for the tech assist and photo. Without that, would have been a bit of a slog through drawings, or giving up and buying a used harness from the wreckers.

For those considering a seat upgrade for sport driving, this Recaro should be on your list. Especially now that we know how to keep the mirror functionality.

Yes, only one installed at present, second seat is on backorder.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool Recaros BTW!
I wish it was a plural statement. Only the drivers side is done. Passenger side has been on back order since August. Apparently Recaro is having production issues due to a clip supplier unable to meet their demand, holding up the whole production line!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts