Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot about the SD2 and SD3 computer, which can be hooked up with the car and change/read lots of parameters (like the remaining life of the clutch).

Are they available for everyone? If yes, can they be operated by a normal person or do we have to be a mechanic with decades of experience? Do they cost a fortune and where do we buy them?

Since so many things depend on these things, why not have one at home and hook up to the car once in a while to play with? (as i mentioned above, check ourselfs the life of the clutch)

PS:
i read that the SD3 is better, and comes with SD2 emulation for cars that don't support SD3 directly. Also the SD2 is manufacturer specific while the SD3 is not.

·
Registered
133 Posts
ermm the SDx machines are a fortune (about 20k) and normally only sold to dealers\approved mechanics. & yup you are right, you'll need the associated equipment & manuals & knowledge to work it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20k? wow...

so that rules it out... ok, move along.. nothing to see here :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one day... just one day.. in the far far away future, car manufacturers will realise we are not that dumb and will install a simple USB port in their cars, which we can use to hook up our laptops and with a simple interface allow us to modify our cars like we do with our mobile phones, computers, mp3 players, portable harddrives, and God knows what other USB compatible devices are floating around.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Great question though. I had wondred the same thing - the USB idea certainly would be an enormous leap in the right direction. I guess the car manufacturers would argue that there are not that many people that take their cars as seriously as most guys and gals on this site so let the dealers charge us for hooking up the computer and touch a few buttons. Guess they have to get some return on that 20K investment.......

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why would they think that we don't take our cars seriously? Most younger drivers (the Subaru Impreza kind with the huge spoiler that can be used for ironing) spend small fortunes in car modifications. While more mature drivers spend not only money but many hours with their cars.

Why is a simple USB port such an exotic gadget? It should be considered as simple as a simple extra, like the Auditorium 200, or the navigator.

I'm sure that if this happened in the future, manufacturers would protect the driver and the car from changing sensitive parameters that could cause accidents, but looking at nice statistics, colourful bar graphs and the percentage of remaining clutch wear won't cause an accident.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If anyone has had a Audi\VAG car.. you'll now about VAG-com by ross-tech in the states.. that's what we need for the maserati\ferrari cars.. basically a CAN cable & some software which lets you do everything which can be done on the dealer hardware. Worth every penny when I had my S4, logging, resetting errors, clearing codes etc.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
5,887 Posts
Why is a simple USB port such an exotic gadget? It should be considered as simple as a simple extra, like the Auditorium 200, or the navigator.
A USB port is simple, cheap, and worthless by itself. A port is just that, a connection. The challenge is not in how a person connects to the computers in a car but with what a person connects to the computers in a car.

USB port = easy
Software = not so simple

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Are they available for everyone? If yes, can they be operated by a normal person ---
They are difficult to get because Ferrari controls the software and they are expensive at around $25K!

I am sure they can be operated by a "normal" person but what about an "abnormal" person!

Not regularly commercially available due to cost.

I have recently seen an ad from a Florida mechanic closing his shop offering to transfer the lease on his at $800.00/month!

There are differences between SD2/3 but are probably more applicable to current car systems than earlier ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OBDII Codes

I can write software to extract OBDII codes using inexpensive hardware. All I need the definition for the Maserati specific codes. This would be a fun weekend project.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
...and the protocols to get to the non-OBD compliant parts of the system.....

C

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what I'm looking for. If I had the code definitions (not the standard ones, that is easy to find) I can implement them. There is nothing in to 1000+ page service manual I bought off ebay. I am wondering if a manual for the SD2/3 system everyone mentions would have this information.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
definitely interested.........
Fascinated, but this is not, as far as I know about codes. I don't think that a standard OBDII reader will access (for example) the suspension ECU because it simply does not 'speak' ODB. Happy to be corrected, though. In fact I'd be bloody ecstatic.

C

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
That's what I'm looking for. If I had the code definitions (not the standard ones, that is easy to find) I can implement them. There is nothing in to 1000+ page service manual I bought off ebay. I am wondering if a manual for the SD2/3 system everyone mentions would have this information.
I have some user manuals and update docs. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Fascinated, but this is not, as far as I know about codes. I don't think that a standard OBDII reader will access (for example) the suspension ECU because it simply does not 'speak' ODB. Happy to be corrected, though. In fact I'd be bloody ecstatic.

C
I agree that's why I am interested to see what he comes up with.....it would be interesting if he came up with anything out of the ordinary to read not generic codes but Mas. specific codes. When it's all said and done a person built the SD2/3 machine that reads the specific codes for these cars. If it was done before no matter the monumental task it was, it surely could be replicated, especially with the computer technology we have today. I mean just in the last decade of technological advances look how far code readers have come. I would really like to see someone standing over one of our cars with nothing more than a laptop plugged in checking all of its individual systems. I personally am not on that level and it's not my field of expertise. But I would greatly appreciate anyone who could.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I think this is only likely to happen if
1) Someone gets hold of the SD2/3 source code
2) Someone can reverse engineer the signals from the non OBDII compliant systems.
Sadly both of these are either unlikely or *way* labour intensive / expensive.

Just can't see it, myself :(

C

·
Registered
4 Posts

C
It would be highly unusual for an OEM to mix protocols on the same physical layer (ISO9141, CAN, J1850VPW, J1850PWM, etc). What is most likely happening is that all controllers "speak" OBDII protocol. The OBDII specification allows flexibility for OEMs to implement proprietary codes. So, what I am suggesting is that if you can talk OBDII (easy) you can also talk to the proprietary codes, but you need to have the definition of those codes. You should not need some other type of hardware interface to the vehicle.

However, I know full well, smart engineering and reality are two very different things. I am a pretty new Maserati owner and have no experience with the Maserati vehicle system in detail, but I see several folks talking about all the proprietary things they do. So, to quickly perform a crude validation of my thought I checked which pins are populated on the J1962 connector (diagnostic port). Here is what I found on my '03 Spyder (The Y indicates the pin is present):

Pin Function
1 Y Discretionary
2 + line of SAE J1850
3 Y Discretionary
4 Y Chassis Ground
5 Y Signal Ground
6 Y CAN_H of ISO 15765-4
7 Y K Line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4
8 Y Discretionary
9 Y Discretionary
10 - line of SAE J1850
11 Y Discretionary
12 Y Discretionary
13 Discretionary
14 Y CAN_L of ISO 15765-4
15 L line of ISO 9141-2
16 Y Un-switched Vehicle Battery Positive

So the vehicle is definitely talking either CAN (most likely) or K-line (or both) at the physical level. The concern I have here is that there are 6 discretionary pins populated. They could be using those for anything. Typically however, in these scenarios the OEM will run a second datalink. (That's how Navistar trucks are configured, with a second CAN bus on the discretionary pins on the diagnostic connector. Caterpillar does a similar thing on their construction equipment. I used to work for both companies.) The trick will be figuring out what those pins are for. I will have to dive into the wring diagrams when I get some free time to see if I can make an educated guess at the functionality of the discretionary pins.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.