Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why I get a screeching sound when I accelerate in 1st gear. The strange thing is it even happens when I apply just moderate pressure to get a little bit of seed. If I REALLY try to pull away quickly then the screech is quite severe. Only way I can avoid it is to pull away very slowly and increase pressure on the gas slowly. After acceleration in 1st everything is fine... At first I thought it was wheel spins, which perhaps it is, but that seems strange when the noise comes when I am pulling away not all that aggressively!

Can anyone help/explain? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Does anyone know why I get a screeching sound when I accelerate in 1st gear. The strange thing is it even happens when I apply just moderate pressure to get a little bit of seed. If I REALLY try to pull away quickly then the screech is quite severe. Only way I can avoid it is to pull away very slowly and increase pressure on the gas slowly. After acceleration in 1st everything is fine... At first I thought it was wheel spins, which perhaps it is, but that seems strange when the noise comes when I am pulling away not all that aggressively!

Can anyone help/explain? Thanks.
I get the same thing intermittently. My gut tells me it is something related to the clutch starting to fail (throwout bearing or actuator perhaps?). I'm at about 20K miles in my 2003.

·
Registered
824 Posts
CC or GT?

On my car, this noise was an "unevenly worn clutch plates" and was replaced under warranty.

On a CC, the way to tell if this is the problem is switch to sport mode, if the sound is not there or greatly reduced, then it is the clutch (much more pronounced in normal mode).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the same problem on mine, turned out to be a bearing, replaced under warranty, but took over a week. It required dropping the trans, so very glad that it was covered under warranty.

Eric

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Same thing happens to me when I turn MSP off and punch it :D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It happened to me a few months ago. I brought it to the dealer and they told me that I just needed a software upgrade so the clutch would engage properly. They did the upgrade and the problem disappeared completely.

But now the noise is back... just like it was before!:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds very worrying as most of those problems are going to cost a fortune!

I drive it in normal auto and when it is in sport or not it still screeches...Its absolutely fine when I pull away more carefully so maybe it is just a wheelspin?!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sounds very worrying as most of those problems are going to cost a fortune!

I drive it in normal auto and when it is in sport or not it still screeches...Its absolutely fine when I pull away more carefully so maybe it is just a wheelspin?!

It's definitely not wheelspin. Sorry...

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Just to be sure, It's not a pulley belt is it? Or anything related to the pulleys up front. I.E. does it happen when you rev the motor?

Otherwise, if it's in the transmission, take it to the dealer. There are many potential problems there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my .2

It is the bearing. I had the same issue and was repaired under warranty.

05 coupe CC---gone but not forgotten
06 997 Reliable but boring

·
Registered
742 Posts
Its the clutch bearing. Its just an adjustment.

I had the same problem although the noise was not that loud.

Its the clutch bearing and it just needs to be adjusted. This is a common problem with the CC and its covered under warranty.

My dealer pointed it out to me at my last service with 20,500 miles. I had been hearing it for a while.

You will not believe how much better your car shifts when you get this adjusted. Its like night and day.

Its a very labor intensive job. If you are covered under warranty ask them to check your clutch. If its over 50% worn, you may want to consider replacing it. It should cost you 1,500.00 for the parts because all the labor is covered.

Good Luck. CM

·
Registered
191 Posts
Must agree with all the previous posters... bad throwout bearing. Mine started to go at around 10k miles and was replaced (along with the clutch) under warranty (thank you, FMOC!). I posted previously about this.

Originally thought it was wheelspin too, but like you felt it extremely unlikely as it happened even under partial throttle. It sounds like wheelspin, coming from the center rear of the car.

Techs at FMOC drove it and confirmed diagnosis immediately. After replacement, sound gone entirely and has not come back yet.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When the problem is the throwout bearing, does the screeching sound stop when the clutch fully engages? Maybe that's what my car has.

What's the difference between the bearing problem and a slipping clutch when driving?

Would a slipping clutch have that screeching sound too?

·
Registered
793 Posts
When the problem is the throwout bearing, does the screeching sound stop when the clutch fully engages? Maybe that's what my car has.

What's the difference between the bearing problem and a slipping clutch when driving?

Would a slipping clutch have that screeching sound too?
Sometimes when the T/O bearing goes bad it may not fully disengage the clutch plate which could cause slippage.

However, you could also have weakened springs in the pressure plate and that would definitely cause clutch disk problems.

You need to have that changed out before you get stranded!

The squeal is, however, coming from the T/O bearing itself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same noise on my first GS. The dlr said it was the pilot bearing (keeps the trans input shaft aligned with the clutch when clutch isn't engaged). He replaced it under warranty -- problem gone.

Now my 2nd GS is in the shop for same noise -- when I dropped it off (a different Maz dealer) I was told it sounded like the pilot brg. It's now being fixed. I was told that Maz came out with an upgraded brg in '07 (for prior cars).

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So, without actually opening the transmission, how do we know if it's a throwout bearing, pilot bearing, glazed clutch, or simply a matter of a too-light kiss point?

·
Registered
793 Posts
So, without actually opening the transmission, how do we know if it's a throwout bearing, pilot bearing, glazed clutch, or simply a matter of a too-light kiss point?
You really don't but from what you have indicated you have issues with all three parts which means you need a new clutch.

So, for certain you need them all replaced. You can have the flywheel resurfaced, pp and disc rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.