Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife washed the car this weekend. Lovely thoughtful thing to do, however unfortunately i now have a hairline scratch down the front of the hood. Has anyone had any luck getting scratches out of the paint. I assume the scratch got there via a dirt particle in the sponge or something. I have found many refferences to swirl removers on this site, but does anyone know of a product that can remove a surface scratch (deeper than a swirl, but still does to be minor and superficial). on other cars i have used heavy compound and had much luck, however i am a little more than afrain to try on the hood of my 2009 GT.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hey,

If your thumbnail doesn't get caught in it, just get it buffed out (take it to a car wash and tip the guy a few bucks to do it for you)... easy as pie :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try Meg's ScratchX.

If that does not take the scratch out you will then need to resort to a mechanical method such as a dual orbital polisher.

The Zaino will hide the scratch however, depending on the colour of the car will determine how good the end result is. Remember this is only hiding the scratch and not getting rid of it you will still have the damage in the paintwork.

Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually was thinking of going the mequires route. ScratchX was exactly what looked like would be the best. dont want anything too abrasive as it is only minor. while we are on the topic, what does eveyone use washing/waxing. i have a blue netuno 2009 gt.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Some of the best and very detailed FAQs on car detailing can be found here

http://carcareonline.com/howto.aspx

I love the stonechip repair procedure - such painstaking attention to detail. This is also the method to fix a deep scratch. Read the article on paint care to get an understanding of how to fix lesser problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go to autogeek.com. Not only do they sell professional detail products for cheap, they have a whole how-to section with video. They also have a huge forum with many top shelf detailers for advice. What I would recommend is Wolfgang paint repair 3g that uses a mixture of Menzerna light compound. It can do anything from heavy cut to very light cutting depending on pad color used, ie. Orange=heavy cut White=light swirl mark remover. If confused, go to site and it will make sense. Not hard to learn, especially as laid out on Autogeek.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It has diminishing abrasives so starts off as a light compound and breaks down into a polish. I've used with an orbital buffer and have been pleased. Won't get out deep scratches but fixes minor ones. I've always been afraid of compounds but this one is different given it's diminishing abrasive technology.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually used the Mequires Scratch X and it worked fairly well. I mean I can still see the outline of the scratch, but only up real close from a specific angle. I hesistate to attack it further in fear of making things worse. Appreciate all the posts. After using the Scratch X I did the entire car with Mequires Gold Class polish/wax (honestly dont know the diff between the two - wax /polish)... in any event car came out great. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts