Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my Goodyear F1 front tyres and decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport, as recommended by my maserati dealer (I called him from the tyre depot). The Tyre place advised me not to change the rears as they have plenty of life so these are still F1s. But now the steering to pretty scary - it seems to wander over the road and I've lost faith in the steering. The tyre depot also did the tracking - should I spend £400 on two new Pilot Sport rears or is something else wrong? Is this normal?

Thanks

Matt
2004 Coupe

·
Registered
88 Posts
I noticed the same thing when i changed my rear tires

My MSP comes on more rapiodluy now then ever before. I believe that the sytem is calibrated to the OEM tires and when you change that the adaptation for the memory of the wheel spion is altered.

I havent been able to figure it out and i did change both tires now the rear at 8000 miles and the fronts at 11,000

I turne off the MSP and drive real real hard N then turn the MSP back on that seems to help a little bit

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would go back to the tire place and find out EXACTY what they did when the set the tracking. It sounds like this may be the cause.

·
Registered
773 Posts
heavy front!

would not think, just changing tires would not cause change. car is very heavy on front i am sure any tinkering would make matters worse.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe the tire place did not have the track alignment data for Maserati Coupe and just guessed?

Anyway, where should one get the alignment done at? Dealership or independent tire place?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have had the same experience - I find that Michelins and Pirelli's 'tramline' a bit which makes the steering feel odd at times especially if you are in a lane which has been grooved by heavy lorries. I find the best tyres by far are the Goodyear F1's. I get good wear and they dont tramline.
As far as the alignment settings go - I posted some info on this a while back including all the setting info - you should be able to locate it on a search if you want to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
MSP is not tuned to a particular tire... it's just based on the amount of slip which can happen with old / new tires, weather conditions, etc.. basically your tires ability to grip or slip.

Mixing tires is a BAD idea in general. It will cause you problems in many ways. I've done this in the past often before selling a car and always found it to result in ill handling and if I keep the vehicle... I always end up replacing them as a set and I no longer mix and match sets.

Every aspect of the tire is meant to work together for front and rear, from sidewall strength and stiffness to rubber compound and tread design.

This may not be all of your problem, you may have an alignment issue but in general the PS2s are rated as an excellent tire.

Another simple thing to check if you haven't is tire pressure which should probably be around 32psi. Perhaps they just forgot to check the pressure or you have a leak. I now can tell if my tires are more than 5psi off based on the balance of the car while driving.

·
Registered
312 Posts
LV-GranSport said:
Mixing tires is a BAD idea in general. It will cause you problems in many ways. I've done this in the past often before selling a car and always found it to result in ill handling and if I keep the vehicle... I always end up replacing them as a set and I no longer mix and match sets.
I'm making a note to never buy a car from you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ha Ha, well... I would never do that to a Maserati! I'm talking about mustangs and such many years ago. I've always bought the best tires for me, but if they were at zero tread I'd have to replace them and wouldn't want to spend $300 a tire on a car that I was selling. I'd usually still get a good tire though it still resulted in a noticable performance difference.

I only take the very best care of my Masi...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tyer on porsches

New to the maser world but old in porsche world i got something to share. P are extreamly tire sensitive eg p have specialy marked tyres n0 n1 etc in order to compencate for reare engine that causes extrem grip but also wear on tyers. In case for the porsches we are talking about a much harder walls among other things. Are there any similar things for the maseratis? Have any of you tried the porsche marked tyres on your maseratis?

Yffe

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think the N0, N1 is just shorthand for the tire size/spec. My OEM PS fronts are labelled N0.

Did you get the alignment re-done? I wouldn't let some tyre place mess with it unless I knew they were known for doing alignments on high end cars etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts