Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, after doing soem searches, it seems the newer model coupes have the "Becker" head unit. Most stereo posts have been in regards to connecting into the CD changer wiring to rig up an IPOD interface.

Is there something simpler to do if you want to add an XM or Sirius receiver? The only 2 posts I found were from 2004:

-----------------------------------------
My 02 came with XM installed right next to the ashtray. Clean installation and I can post pictures but can someone tell me how to attach digital photos. I can show the upgrades I've made including lowering, black chrome wheels, custom designed exhaust system, ...

XM is going in next week
I went to FM of Washinton this week for the stereo upgrade and found this is going to be easy. This XM unit, Terk Commander, requires only to connect to the stereo via a jumper between the antenna and the stereo. Which is under the center armrest. It is a matter of taking off the folding lid, and pulling out the a/c ducts. The plug is under the top most connector.
-----------------------------------------

#1 doesn't have an explanation how it was done while #2 doesn't seem to make sense. They fed the Satellite radio preamp signal in between the headunit and headunit antenna somehow? Thanks --- John

·
Registered
835 Posts
i believe only the GS models are fitted with becker units. QP are fitted with newer blaupunkt; coupes and spyders have the older blaupunkt integrated with the Magneti Marelli units. Since you have the GS, if I were you I would purchase an aftermarket headunit which has satnav, iPod and XM control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, maybe I'm confused then. I thought the GS was similar to the rest of the line in that removing the head unit is not an option. The owner manual seems to insinuate bad electrical things might happen if you try to take the head unit out.

I would love to dump the "Becker" and start from scratch with a modern head unit with Satellite and Aux. inputs... Possible? --- John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks, that looks promising. Any idea why the Becker may be replaceable versus Blaupunkt or are they both replaceable? Maybe I got this all wrong. It seems everybody was jumping through hurdles to rig an iPOD so I assumed swapping out the head unit was a No No. Reading the manual, it kind of insinuates the head unit is almost an "information center" and it made me think something bad could happen trying to get rid of it. Thanks --- John

·
Registered
835 Posts
Becker has always been friendly and very helpful in providing pin-out diagrams to car owners. Blaupunkt on the other hand isn't. I have made inquiries and thus far no words "nada". The issue with the spyder/coupe is that the headunit isn't entirely blaupunkt but an integration with Magneti and the display sort of blends in with the rest of the center console. a pioneer din unit would kill the look of the interior. GS is diff. I would yank out the din header in a heart beat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I understand now. The Coupe has a fully integrated stereo display (like you see on a lot of cars nowadays) while the GS goes old school with a detachable head unit that can be swapped out relatively "easily". For the benefit of others, I attached a pic showing the 2 side by side. GS on the left and Coupe on the right. --- John

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts