Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 2006 GS came without the inflatable spare kit, and I'm always concerned that I'll get a flat tire and be unable to get home. I carry a can of inflator/sealant and a 12-volt air compressor, which I've already had to use once (drywall screw puncture up through the tread). However, if the tire is actually damaged, the sealant won't work, and I'm stuck waiting for a flatbed. Other than buying the very expensive spare tire kit (dealer quoted "about $2,500"), what are the options?
Do you guys drive around without a spare?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I do, 9200mi so far, but I have been crossing my fingers most of the time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
what does he spare tire kit consist of?

What does he spare tire kit consist of ?

The Gran Turismo (ordered) does not contain any spare tire at all..... I guess I will carry a can of sealant and my rosary beads ?

anyone have experience with this...... I guess call maserati road side service and they flat bed it..........(seems a long way to go for a stinking flat tire...)

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMHO, any vehicle that has front and rear tires of different sizes, it is a waste of time and money to carry a spare... almost like driving a car on a donut tire. I know on the Lotus Esprits, they came with a spare in the trunk, but most people would remove them for better handling and the fact that it only worked on the front end... it was a waste on the rear of the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was under the impression that the spare tye for the gransport doesn't actually fit.. the wheel well is for an 18?
Reg wheel/tire won't fit in trunk. -spare tire kit includes temporary inflatable wheel/tire, jack, and electric air compressor.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My Porsche has the inflatable spare tire, and to be honest, I don't think I'd ever use it. I just don't have much faith that the inflatable would really hold up, particularly once the rubber was more than a couple of years old. I've always carried a can of sealant and hoped for the best, but figured I was probably getting a flatbed if the tire went flat.

On the Maserati, at first I was a bit nervous, and then I realized I really wasn't any worse off than I am in the Porsche. I don't have an inflatable I'm too nervous to use, I just have a pump, a can of sealant, and the AAA number.

At least these days I have a cell phone to call for a tow truck. I still remember breaking down on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere in the pre-cell days, and sitting there for 3 hours (while the CHP drove by me!) until a Sherriff's deputy was nice enough to stop and radio for a tow.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Ive had tires blow 2x... the flatbed is much better than a dirty tire in your trunk... plus, where would you put your rim and flat?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have no spare either, I just check my tire pressures often and visually inspect at least once a week as a standard.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sealant is terrible for the aluminum wheels and you risk damaging the differential if you put two different size tires on the drive wheels, just get a flatbed...its better for the car all around. I havent had a car that carries a spare for a very long time so I have just adjusted to not having one...if you are that paranoid switch to runflats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Always carry a full size trash bag in the trunk so you can put the tire/wheel in the car if it blows. I blew a rear tire with 3200 miles on my 06 GS on the AC expressway memorial day weekend. tire was torn. Fix a flat was no use. 5 hours waiting for a flat bed with a crying 2 year old was not fun. Go for the spare.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Jgrabar

AC expressway heh......I live at the Jersey shore.. (Longport) Waiting on Gr. Turism. with no spare... I guess you had a spare ??

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Maserati roadside asst. has never left me waiting long. Heck they sent 2 trucks for my car when it had a dead battery in a parking garage. One small one to pull it out and a flatbed to take it to the dealer. I've called them 3 times and been pleased. (none were for a flat, but they showed up fast) Jgrabar, was it Maserati roadside you called and waited that long?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Agree that the spare is a waste. Ali's point is valid. Where do you put the blown tire after you put the spare on? Even in a trash bag it won't fit anywhere in a coupe (maybe bungee the trunk closed?).

The spare tire compartment makes a MUCH better subwoofer/amp mounting location ;)

BTW.... They do make crappy run-flats that'll fit the car if you're too worried :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Spare

It was the sunday of memorial day weekend. No ne was really around to help. the rest of the world was drinking. I had the spare ... for a damned QP in my trunk - which I was under the impression was the spare for a GS. Bolt pattern off by about 1mm. That day sucked my ass. I have had no horror stories since on that issue, but i keep the spare now. And hey Longport - i have a place in Margate. Nice to meet you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Always carry a full size trash bag in the trunk so you can put the tire/wheel in the car if it blows. I blew a rear tire with 3200 miles on my 06 GS on the AC expressway memorial day weekend. tire was torn. Fix a flat was no use. 5 hours waiting for a flat bed with a crying 2 year old was not fun. Go for the spare.
This is what I do. Big bag for the tire, throw the spare donut on and just drive slowly to get her home or to a tire shop. I doubt driving with 2 different tire sizes for a limited duration at reduced speed to get to safety/assistance is going to do anything to the differential.

If I knew a flat bed would be there within 30 minutes every time, maybe, but not here in NY

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
455 Posts
So instead of waiting for Maserati roadside assistance or AAA for 30 minutes, you would prefer to carry your own spare and equipment?

Its going to take longer for you to lift the car and change out the tire anyways. Plus its dangerous to do so on the side of the road.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Speaking of the lack of spare tires... I was driving home tonight and hit a pothole (more like a chasm in the road :mad: ) and blew a hole in the sidewall of the front driver-side tire. The sealant didn't work, and I ended up waiting for Maserati Roadside Assistance to give me a tow. Luckily, I was turning into a parking lot, and I wasn't very far from home. Anyway, the point is that that can of sealant is only good for minimal damage like a puncture. If you pop a tire then your only option is to wait for a flatbed.

Does anyone know where to get a refill canister for the compressor?

I sure hope I didn't bend the wheel...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts