Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . if there is such a thing. While It seems obvious that you must take the car into a Mas dealer for problems. I'm wondering:
1. if anyone has has positive experiences with taking their cars to a non-mas service station for routine service. I.e., spark plugs, oil change filter, etc: and
2. is so anyone in Chicagoland; and
3. was there a benefit, i.e., price, service, knowledge etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yikes!

I was afraid someone would suggest that . . . . One thing I've learned during my short but steady tenure here on this planet. I have but a few talents. To those talents I remain committed and I perform them well. Regarding those I have not mastered, I leave them to the experts in there respective fields . . . tends to be less costly long term. Through your experience, training or confidence, you may have become an expert in that arena. I however, am not.

I once witnessed a weekend warrior pour power steering fluid in the oil fill engine depository.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Because of my background, I'm very critical of the work others do on my cars. If I were to hire someone to work on my Maserati, they would have to have substantial experience with special cars, preferably to include Ferrari, or be Maserati factory certified, as at a dealer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I found a very reputable shop here in Houston that works on exotics as well as custom and show cars and, after playing phone tag with dealer for a few weeks trying to schedule service, took it there after getting tired of feeling like dealer was doing me a favor squeezing me in for service. 3000 mile service at dealer I believe started around $600, my bill from the shop was around $180 for same work and same day service.

With all due respect to FOH, after being told that with a simple dead battery I need to have my car towed there and they will need two days, I will keep taking my car to my guy for non-warranty issues and things I can't fix myself; I also have a different guy for wheel repair and tires. I am normally all about supporting my local dealer, but they clearly don't need my support.. (or is it just the Italian thing..? lol)

However, I do second the previous posters' sentiment - as with most things, if you want it done right, do it yourself..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. . . almost persuaded . . . . thanks . . . I think.

You guys are making this seem like a 10 year old could complete these tasks (which is about the extent of my mechanical prowess). Ok, any advice on which of the routine maintenance matters I can attempt without ultimately enlisting my spouse's assistance . . . and which tools are necessary.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Oil Change, Spark plugs, air filter. If you have access to a lift or a jack, transmission and differential fluid change, brake pad replacements, and MAYBE brake fluid changes.

Ratchet, a spark plug socket, a few extensions, a jack (you can use one from a cars spare wheel. Oh, and a TWELVE MM hex key for the oil chnage...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's true!

It's as easy to change oil on a Ferrari or Maserati as changing it on a small block chevy and a few things actually make more sense and are engineering much better in regard to access, etc.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Conversion accomplished

OK Masmechs. You have convinced me that I should attempt these feats personally. Maybe this'll be a bonding execise for me and Ms. Mas. Hope I don't screw her up. (Humm, that didn't sound too politically correct.)
I'm going to get the tools, order the filters, plugs and pick up the oil and set a couple of days aside to tinker with this project.

Thanks

Once again any sound advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Remember to put anti-sieze on the spark plug threads and be careful not to cross thread them. Put them in hand tight before applying the ratchet. Don't change plugs when the engine is hot. I think those are the things you need to know so you don't screw her up beyond redemption. Oh yeah, before you install the oil filter, dip your finger in some fresh oil and wipe it on the rubber filter gasket. Buy whatever tools are needed to do it right.... They'll last you a lifetime. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I gotta say, I've changed plugs on several cars that were much easier to deal with than those on the maser. Hope you have the right length extensions.

·
Registered
357 Posts
What I was trying to say was to use the extension and socket to thread the plug in by hand before putting the ratchet on so you can feel the threads engage. This avoids potential cross threading. Just a good tip for a novice to avoid expensive damage.

I think the Maserati plugs are super easy to install. No U-joints and no scraped hands. Now, plugs on cylinders 11 & 12 of a BMW are a worthy challenge!

Get the right tools for the job and get good quality tools. They'll last you a lifetime. A few extensions are well worth the few dollars investment.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've got to play a little bit of devil's advocate here.

I'm not sure what the maintenance costs run at other dealerships, but I know here it runs about $1k / 10,000 miles through 100,000 miles.

Oil changes, plugs, brake fluid flushes, etc..

Benefits of using a Maserati dealership - Documented service - adds resale value; Having someone who knows your car, and these cars in general - can help spot issues before they get bad - can keep software up to date.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You guys are rare though... We pay about 2.5k here for a service. That's horrible...

How much would it cost to JUST get the software updated, etc.?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Software updates depend on labor rates and time. I would assume that is billed out at the hourly labor rate, and most software updates take 1-2 billable hours. Occasionally some of these updates have to have the ECU sent to MNA, which is usually another hour or two labor.

Our shop rate is $120/hr, which is likely the underlying factor in the price disparities - shop rate, and parts markup.

My 30k service, with oil change, belt adjustment, filter replacement, steering fluid flush, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, spark plugs, cabin filter, and gearbox flush on the QP DuoSelect runs $1500

Same 30k service on the Coupe runs $1300

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mantainence

I haven't danced in circles like this since I was a teenager. After reading all the posts, I'm back to the Dealer theory again. Well, I guess that's what makes this forum so great. Diversity! I'll keep reading . . . I got another month before she can come out to play anyway.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you aren't confident and you don't have somebody good to show you, maybe best to leave the lady to the pros and learn on something else. It's all good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts