Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my Coupe CC was serviced earlier in the year I've been experiencing some rough running and I wondered if you guys had any suggestions or have had similar problems. Unfortunately the car hasn't been garaged over the last few months, so it stands on the drive overnight. When there has been a rain shower overnight, the car runs roughly on the journey to work the following morning. The only way I can describe it is that it feels like it running on less than eight cylinders, so kinda vibrating. It's very pronounced at speeds above 50mph. However, if I pull over and rev the car in neutral it appears to be running very sweetly. So, the roughness only appears with the transmission engaged and the car moving. Anyone have any thoughts? The rough running clears after about ten miles. thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have you tried resetting the ECU and letting the car remap?

·
Registered
513 Posts
this was the hot topic the past 2 weeks...

Don't people search the forums anymore???

·
Registered
773 Posts
reset

i have no idea how either, so you all can pick on me to, best suggestion so far, i think, is dealer. do not run car with vibs! will cause bad things to happen. i am not sure how running up rpm's will work, but you have no load, so no vibes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Disconnecting the battery (temporarily or overnight, not clear) apparently resets the ECU. Then to get maximum out of the setup, you need to redline (or >5000rpm) every gear (for a few miles or for the first 100mi, not clear).

After my QP was washed last week it wouldn't start anymore and then overnight the battery went completely flat. This blanked every setting (clock, trip meters, GPS, alarm, etc, but interestingly not the radio's saved stations!). Without knowing about the ECU reset, I noticed that the engine runs better after this (my driving style is with minimum gear changes and using the full rev range).

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458&highlight=reset

- Toffe

·
Registered
681 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
Or maybe don't reset the ECU and take it to your dealer - then any stored codes can be retrieved for better diagnostics..

- Mark
Maserati is just like any other car, posts like this make people even more scared to work on their own cars. If the car isn't throwing any lights, sounds like the ECU just needs to be reset. Also he never stated what year the Coupe was and if it's not under warranty it may be a waste of money to take it to the dealer and pay them to reset the ECU for you.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have to agree with Kevin here...

MVP said:
Maserati is just like any other car, posts like this make people even more scared to work on their own cars. If the car isn't throwing any lights, sounds like the ECU just needs to be reset. Also he never stated what year the Coupe was and if it's not under warranty it may be a waste of money to take it to the dealer and pay them to reset the ECU for you.
I am trying to decide in which order I would choose to go first.

a. the dentist
b. my MD
c. a Sex and the City DVD Party
d. the Maserati Dealer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
many thanks for the replies, however my gut feeling here is that it isn't an ECU problem. I have been following those threads over the last few weeks, very interesting, but I'm sure I have something different here. It seems to be water ingress somewhere, so I just wanted a few suggestions on things I could do or check before resorting to the dealership. It's a late 2002 car which has behaved perfectly throughout the British winters but now seems to suffer in damp conditions, that's all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
demoe said:
I am trying to decide in which order I would choose to go first.

a. the dentist
b. my MD
c. a Sex and the City DVD Party
d. the Maserati Dealer
Ahem...please do not put a visit to the dentist and the Maserati Dealer in the same list.

·
Registered
909 Posts
MVP said:
The point wasn't that he needed the ECU reset. The point was that these cars come with a very good electronic diagnostic and logging system on board, and if he is experiencing electronic related problems, at some point these will likely get back to the ECU. It stores much more than codes that will throw a check engine light, and thus this information is very useful in chasing down intermittent or inconsistent issues. If nothing else it will help rule some items out, which can be just as important as finding the actual source of the problem.

- Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts