Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that while parked for a month, rotors look almost rust-colored. What could that be from? I had car detailed prior to garaging for winter. What is best cleaner for rotors? Thanks mates.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine get rusty every time I wash the car! I'm amazed how quickly they rust after a wash. In fact, the worst thing you can do is set the parking brake after you wash the car! The pads can rust to the rotor! Mine did that one time... scary stuff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is completely normal. Just be careful when braking once your brakes heat up the rust will be gone. The best way in my opinion is drive it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine get rusty every time I wash the car! I'm amazed how quickly they rust after a wash. In fact, the worst thing you can do is set the parking brake after you wash the car! The pads can rust to the rotor! Mine did that one time... scary stuff.
Jalpa, I have an electronic parking brake. I have not disabled it, will this cause a problem? I plan on garaging it for at least another month:confused:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Without a doubt, the BeST!!!! Aboslutely, without a doubt, way to proessionally clean your rotors is....... to.....

drive your car.

Cheap too!

;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jalpa, I have an electronic parking brake. I have not disabled it, will this cause a problem? I plan on garaging it for at least another month:confused:
I have seen parking brakes get rusted and stick. I can be pretty scary trying to brake it free. I would start up the car get it warm and move it a little if you can. Then park it again. That should prevent it from sticking

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep, the best cure is like what folks here have suggested. Drive the car after a wash to heat the brakes up to help evaporate any water. That'll help keep the pads from sticking to the rotors for sure. Since I park my car in the garage on a level surface, I don't use the parking brake and keep the car in 1st gear (mine is a manual transmission), and place a wheel chock behind one of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Washed my car a week ago , drove it around the block to dry it off then left it in the garage. Went to take it out today , selected reverse and the car moved slightly and rocked. Got an "Alarm Failure" light, so switched the car off and restarted. Tried to reverse again and the car rocked then moved slightly. Seemed as though a rock was behind my wheel?? My father who was outside said the brake had stuck on and was now free. Reversed out and checked the rear left hand side brake disk(rotor). There was a rusy patch the size of the brake pad on the rotor. In only a week it had rusted on , I guess due to salt on our roads it can accelerated the effect. Took the car out for a drive and the disk(rotor) was back to normal. From now on I'll go around the block a few times before garaging the car after a wash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts