Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any luck sourcing rotors that will fit on a QP5? I've got a 2012 'S' that will need rotors soon, and i'd rather not spend $500+ for front rotors. I tried searching old threads, but couldn't find an exact answer....Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I would just buy them OEM when they're needed. They're not that expensive considering how infrequently they need renewed.

Oh, and anyone who tells you that they need swapped every 30K, is lying hard or trying hard to sell you their products. Unless you have a 600-pound girlfriend riding shotgun full time or you're pulling a decent sized boat, steel brakes last quite a while.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The other Maserati forum site had a group buy and had rotors made up out of carbon fiber. I got there too late...nevertheless I couldn't get any informative responses to my questions.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Carbon fiber brake disc for replacement of the OE iron ones? ..I would check your facts there...It is a totally different deal and is not cheap at all...Carbon fiber disc are a pita to manufacture and are expensive as hell and require a different pad...Really don't even belong on a street car IMO....Jason

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Exchange rates somewhat favorable

Has anybody had any luck sourcing rotors that will fit on a QP5? I've got a 2012 'S' that will need rotors soon, and i'd rather not spend $500+ for front rotors. I tried searching old threads, but couldn't find an exact answer....Thanks in advance.
With 1 pound sterling selling for $1.27, checking OEM prices from some UK providers might be worth a look. Cheapest I've seen it in last 2-3 years was $1.21 .

·
Registered
709 Posts
Anyone know if a set of GT 6 piston brakes will be bolt on for a QP5? I often wonder since that would be a great upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think we might be confusing terms. As I read the description of the rotors they mention “High Carbon Content”. I think they are talking about the steel disk being high carbon steel with higher hardness and more spring like properties than cast iron or mild steel. Less likely to warp.
Carbon Fiber Disks as Jason says, are cutting edge racing bits and sometimes found on top of the line performance cars, but they have their issues with cold operation and other quirks.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Honestly, all these claims of ant-warp properties simply don't apply to Maseratis of this era. I am very hard on my brakes. My rotors have 116K miles on them. No pulsation, no unusual wear.

Older Porsches and Mercedes would warp when overheated. I used to autocross them and it was a regular thing. Maseratis simply don't.

Also, I drive quite a few Maseratis and Ferraris now and I have yet to experience this problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Eric.
Thanks for the insight. I don’t have as many miles as you, but also no warpage issues on the original cast front disks.
My comment was aimed at clarifying the question about carbon fiber disks, which are a very different thing, and high carbon steel disks (vs cast iron) which are comparable and can use the same pads with similar braking results.
As with anything, quality is in the details. Cast iron disks are great in terms of cost, noise properties (they self deaden noise a little bit) and are easy to cast. The problem is that high speed production often leaves residual stresses in the finished product. So, when you get them cherry red, they want to move (warp) back to their relaxed position. Better quality ones would be post heat treated to relieve this stress, then machined. The casting and cooling process is also slowed down to reduce the amount of residual stress. That is how some OEMs do and some do not have warpage issues. Just a little FYI.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Eric.
Thanks for the insight. I don’t have as many miles as you, but also no warpage issues on the original cast front disks.
My comment was aimed at clarifying the question about carbon fiber disks, which are a very different thing, and high carbon steel disks (vs cast iron) which are comparable and can use the same pads with similar braking results.
As with anything, quality is in the details. Cast iron disks are great in terms of cost, noise properties (they self deaden noise a little bit) and are easy to cast. The problem is that high speed production often leaves residual stresses in the finished product. So, when you get them cherry red, they want to move (warp) back to their relaxed position. Better quality ones would be post heat treated to relieve this stress, then machined. The casting and cooling process is also slowed down to reduce the amount of residual stress. That is how some OEMs do and some do not have warpage issues. Just a little FYI.
Oh, I totally agree.

I posted my experience for anyone reading, because I see many people being told to change their rotors very frequently. You can, but it's generally not necessary unless there is an issue or your existing rotors were worn in from aftermarket pads. I remember bringing my car to an indi when I first bought it and the tech told me I needed $1,800 worth of brakes. I immediately went to the dealer and luckily they were very honest. They laughed and said "your brakes are fine."

One more thing - I have the factory drilled rotors. If you have slotted brakes on any car, then you'll want to replace them prior to the slot wearing down to prevent cooling issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's very odd.

Are you getting pulsation? Are yours drilled?
Mine are drilled and slotted. No pulsation at the pedal, but I can feel slight warping on the rotor. My inspection also noted it. I have not yet checked to see if any brake shops are willing to attempt a resurface or not.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Mine are drilled and slotted. No pulsation at the pedal, but I can feel slight warping on the rotor. My inspection also noted it. I have not yet checked to see if any brake shops are willing to attempt a resurface or not.
There's no way that you can have even the slightest warp without noticeable pulsation. Also, no resurfacing will help a warped rotor. Feeling unevenness over the rotor surface does not suggest warp.

However, if the rotors are grooved, laterally, then you won't feel that, and a resurfacing will remedy it.

I'm not familiar with any drilled and slotted OEM rotors. I know there are smooth, drilled and I believe certain MY cars had slotted but not both. I may be wrong, however, I just haven't seen them on parts lists or on any cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts