Maserati Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too had this problem. It also conincided with the steering wheel controls not working. After a lot of mucking about i spent a pile of money on a new clock spring and steering wheel controls and the problem has gone away. We also tweaked the microswitch on the header rail but I doubt that was it.
I'm experiencing the same problem, by changing the clock spring and steering wheel controls the problem went away for you. Where did you get the parts, did the dealer do it or you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, I did post an update in another tread here:

<Cut and paste from other thread>
Dealer ran up a bill trying to fix, replaced ECU, spoke to Italy, etc. No luck, and it's worse after they worked on it. I'm pretty sure my dealer (Houston) has never worked on a convertible top before.

My issue is intermittent, meaning I get the "Roof not operational" error going on and off randomly (every few seconds). I can usually get the top to work, but it takes several tries to complete.
<End cut and paste>

Since that update, my light in now on 100 percent of the time. The last time I tried to move the top, it took 20 or so tries to finally get it open. I've left it open since then (4 months). I am clueless at what to try next.
Did you every get fixed, if so what was the fix?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My update...my "roof operation not available" warning light is on 100% of the time. Been that way since the dealer tried to fix it. Top will not move using the button in the car. Passenger side window still goes down in steps, again after dealer tired to fix the roof. Someone said something about using the key in the door to lower and raise the top in another tread. Tried it this weekend and my top works! So at least I have a work around.
Did you ever get the fixed, is so what was the issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm experiencing the same issue this weekend with my 2014 GT, roof not operational. None of the steering wheel controls work. However, tried the trick with the key in the door and the top went up and down with no issues. Does anyone have a fix to this issue? thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you ever get the fixed, is so what was the issue?
I still haven't solved my issue as I just use the key in the door method. My car is only driven with the top down so I rarely need to mess with it. Looks like @aquaranti found a solution in another post although you loose the steering wheel controls.

Cross link to a solution: Convertible top error message Fix

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I just had the issue of
I'm experiencing the same issue this weekend with my 2014 GT, roof not operational. None of the steering wheel controls work. However, tried the trick with the key in the door and the top went up and down with no issues. Does anyone have a fix to this issue? thanks
My 2013 just got the same issue. I do have an Autel 608 and ran a full diagnostics, the only code that came up was a “unknown trunk error”. I cleared the code and cleaned the windshield latch receivers with alcohol. I’m not getting “Roof Not Operational” any more but it’s only been one day. The trunk code could be the culprit as the roof opening needs the trunk closed to operate(?). However, the steering wheel buttons are no longer operational. What’s the connection between the two?

I’m convinced this common issue but confused about the connection between the roof and the steering wheel buttons. I hope we can find and answer.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
6,069 Posts
It is a network issue..I recognize that doesn't make much sense..Remember your convertible top module needs data to make sure you don't try to move the top at 60 MPH...When you don't have that data then you can't move the top..Jason

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
It is a network issue..I recognize that doesn't make much sense..Remember your convertible top module needs data to make sure you don't try to move the top at 60 MPH...When you don't have that data then you can't move the top..Jason
OK I can understand that but how is it connected to the steering wheel buttons? I went through the GranCabrio shop manual but could not find anything about nodes or modules in the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I can shed a little more light on this issue by recalling exactly when it began and the likely cause. My 2013 GranCabrio never had any roof or button issues however two years ago I removed the steering wheel buttons to send to StickyRx for refurbishing. Last week I was backing out of the garage, which for me, requires turning the steering wheel hard right to stay on the pad before I can go forward. That’s when I went to put the roof down and got the roof error. I was able close the roof and drive to our destination but kept getting the roof error and noticed the steering wheel buttons were not working.

After a long discussion with Jason (see above) it occurred to me that maybe it was not a roof issue causing the button problem but the other way around. I found a 2016 post were a fellow replaced the whole steering wheel and all was fixed. I’m thinking that a loose wire/connection or the clock spring (the wire coil that winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel) that may be the problem.

Its a bit of a job to get at all the steering wheel wiring, so I’m going to need to find time next week to get at it. I’ll post results when I do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can shed a little more light on this issue by recalling exactly when it began and the likely cause. My 2013 GranCabrio never had any roof or button issues however two years ago I removed the steering wheel buttons to send to StickyRx for refurbishing. Last week I was backing out of the garage, which for me, requires turning the steering wheel hard right to stay on the pad before I can go forward. That’s when I went to put the roof down and got the roof error. I was able close the roof and drive to our destination but kept getting the roof error and noticed the steering wheel buttons were not working.

After a long discussion with Jason (see above) it occurred to me that maybe it was not a roof issue causing the button problem but the other way oose wire/connection or the clock spring (the wire coil that winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel) that may be the problem.

Its a bit of a job to get at all the steering wheel wiring, so I’m going to need to find time next week to get at it. I’ll post results when I do.
Thanks, I actually dropped my car off at Enzo's this week to fix the issue.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts