Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, not sure if anyone experiences the same but in my GS, the first few minutes after I start it and drive it, the downshifts are very noisy :)cool:). I don't really rev the car, just change up between 2k and 3k and then let it shift down by itself but the first few downshifts it sounds glorious. Then after a few minutes driving, it becomes a lot quieter and unless I am downshifting aggressively, there is little blipping noise.

Is this common?

PS: All the above happens in sport mode, which is always on :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Now, not sure if anyone experiences the same but in my GS, the first few minutes after I start it and drive it, the downshifts are very noisy :)cool:). I don't really rev the car, just change up between 2k and 3k and then let it shift down by itself but the first few downshifts it sounds glorious. Then after a few minutes driving, it becomes a lot quieter and unless I am downshifting aggressively, there is little blipping noise.

Is this common?

PS: All the above happens in sport mode, which is always on :D
Yep. In my case, if I leave the car idling in the garage for a couple minutes to warm up, the shifts are smooth. No worries.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bigfoot,

mine always sounds better when i downshift myself. whenever i let it downshift on it's own, it always sounds less aggressive. also, when the engine's cold or warm, it sounds the same for me. but ... it's never cold, temperature wise, where i live - maybe actual cold weather affects it? i can't speak of experience in that case :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Now, not sure if anyone experiences the same but in my GS, the first few minutes after I start it and drive it, the downshifts are very noisy :)cool:). Then after a few minutes driving, it becomes a lot quieter and unless I am downshifting aggressively, there is little blipping noise.
Is this common?
I haven't experienced this myself.
I understand the pneumatic valve in the exhaust opens for starting and is supposed to close for driving in Normal mode (or below certain RPM limit in Sport). Perhaps the valve is sticking open longer than usual?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you describe the noise? Whistling, grinding, rubbing, banging, etc...

Does it change with engine RPM, with velocity, etc. ?

Karl.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I do think it's fairly normal just wanted to double check with fellow GS drivers :)

@Karl: the noise is that of a throttle blip. Just like when I downshift myself from highish RPMs. But it usually happens in the first few (2 or 3) minutes of driving, when donwnshifting from 2nd to 1st in particular, at low RPMs (as I left the computer do the downshifts when not "gunning" it :D). It doesn't sound any different just louder than after a few minutes (again, when the computer downshifts).

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When I let the computer downshift it never has the throttle blip...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Letting the computer downshift doesnt create a blurble and popping sound, AND it slips the clutch MUCH more than downshifting yourself...

The same sound is actually achieved if you floor the car (wide open throttle), shift to the next gear, then completely let off the gas (like what you would do getting on the freeway, then going TRAFFIC!!!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did dealer replaced f1 oil or serviced it. F1 system required every 2 year service. Instead of replacing computer. You only need to download software to upgrade computer.
I realized if you are going from 0 to 30+ quickly just go dorectly from 1st gear to 3rd gear +, and at quick stop go straight to neutral instead of downshifting one by one.
This idea of changing gears are strange but it works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.