Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if recent-year Masers are rev-limited for top speed in the US market? I know that with other marques this has been the case but, I'm not sure if that's government regulations or, a safety move by the manufacturers. Not that I will ever approach Joe Walsh's "185" but, would be nice to know....FWIW, what is the top speed any of you have attained in yours?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My valet...

I have only gone about 100 mph in my car for short blips. However, I had added a Kenwood stereo/GPS that happens to keep track of top speed achieved, miles driven, etc. I happened to be tooling through that menu a couple of weeks ago and noticed it said the top speed driven was 146 mph!!!! I had the car since new, and I put the stereo in, and I know it wasn't me that did that!!!!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Does anyone know if recent-year Masers are rev-limited for top speed in the US market? I know that with other marques this has been the case but, I'm not sure if that's government regulations or, a safety move by the manufacturers. Not that I will ever approach Joe Walsh's "185" but, would be nice to know....FWIW, what is the top speed any of you have attained in yours?
I've seen 168 so far (average of GPS + speedo readings), so I don't think it is limited at all. In a predictable move of obviousness and idiocy, I also recently requested the vanity place "DUZ 185" for my Coupe... ;-)

·
Registered
329 Posts
My understanding is that Maserati does not limit vehicle speed; contrary to the common practice among other euro car makers.

There was also a TopGear episode on the QP that made a statement to that effect.

Fastest I've taken mine is just under the 140 mark. (I won't disclose when or where)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have only gone about 100 mph in my car for short blips. However, I had added a Kenwood stereo/GPS that happens to keep track of top speed achieved, miles driven, etc. I happened to be tooling through that menu a couple of weeks ago and noticed it said the top speed driven was 146 mph!!!! I had the car since new, and I put the stereo in, and I know it wasn't me that did that!!!!
drewgroel, can post some pics of what yoru kenwood stereo/gps looks like?

BTW, I did 130 on the highway for a brief blip, and got scared :D so took it back down.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I read that the Coupe is electronically speed limited to 178 MPH. I don't recall where I read it.

Adding a little better info. I believe the speed limiting I read about is for USA cars. Don't know about others. This would be a separate function from the engine rev limiter, which I believe all modern Maseratis have so folks won't get too exuberant and blow the quick revving motor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The top speed on my Spyder is limited by the engine rev limiter (same for all gears) and the gear ratio in 6th gear. I haven't approached top speed, but have hit the rev limiter in lower gears.
Mike

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had my spyder up to 165 with lot’s left but I had to back off because it was all over the road. The stock springs and steering set up is dangerous for any kind of serious high speed driving. I also have also gone 145 in my Infiniti G35and it felt totally stable so I know that the Maser’s suspension set up is the problem.

Once I get the Formula Dynamics springs and sway bars on plus chip etc., I think the car will hit 185 without being too scary.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For moosety2008

Here are two photos of the unit; one shows the unit closed and the other is when it is open for navigation, etc.

I put the XM NavTraffic antenna underneath the flipper panel for the top so that I can get the traffic, weather, etc. information without seeing that huge thing...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I read that the Coupe is electronically speed limited to 178 MPH. I don't recall where I read it.

Adding a little better info. I believe the speed limiting I read about is for USA cars. Don't know about others. This would be a separate function from the engine rev limiter, which I believe all modern Maseratis have so folks won't get too exuberant and blow the quick revving motor.
The 178 limit is aerodynamics and engine power, not electronically limited! When I did my speed run, it was on a long, straight, empty concrete highway, and at 168 it felt like it had a little more left, but I lost my nerve (not related to handling or performance, but related to state police that might be lurking about...).

For the German market, I believe there is an industry accepted 155 MPH limiter that most (if not all) automakers implement.

But rest assured, there's no 155 limiter in USA vehicles. ;-)

·
Registered
478 Posts
145 a few times, very stable, this going uphill on my regular run over a shitty concrete road, but I run out of room.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow - quite a few of you up over 140. In the short time I've had my Spyder, I've only hit 115 once with my wife in the car so, I had to back down to keep her happy. I'm hoping to get to Summit Point in the spring. The longest straight is about 3,000 ft coming off a right turn that I've exited around 70 or so in a BMW 6-series. Anyone know what top end I might expect to hit at the end of 3K ft if I'm starting at around 70mph?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Wow - quite a few of you up over 140. In the short time I've had my Spyder, I've only hit 115 once with my wife in the car so, I had to back down to keep her happy. I'm hoping to get to Summit Point in the spring. The longest straight is about 3,000 ft coming off a right turn that I've exited around 70 or so in a BMW 6-series. Anyone know what top end I might expect to hit at the end of 3K ft if I'm starting at around 70mph?
"It depends". Don't forget that you need to set up for the turn following the straight, too!...but you should be able to see 130+. Don't forget that the Maserati can typically run the 1/4 mile with a trap speed in the 100-110 range, so you should definitely have plenty of time to get her up to speed on the straight. Just get comfortable with braking from speed for a few laps before you try your speed run. The binders on the Maserati, while very strong, still need some time to bring you down from high speeds - it's no F1 car.

·
Registered
5 Posts

My max speed is 145, but have 138 on film. Both times I was on the Jersey Turnpike and ran out of road. Smooth as silk with plenty left.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts