Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Los Angeles area, and have an '04 Q with no phone. The dashboard has the slot for the sim card, and the multimedia system indicates that there is no phone, but there is the ability to switch to the phone from the selector. Then it says no phone is installed. Is there anyone out there who has put a phone in the car to take advantage of the internal multimedia system? Anyone know where to go to get this done? I could ask the dealer/distributor, but I wanted to hear of any real world experience.
Mike Tichon

·
Registered
151 Posts
GMS Phone

I read in this forum that the US bound cars are not retrofitted with the phone system internals. This means that not only can you not add the phone to the system, but you cannot use the voice command since it uses the phone system. My guess is that it cannot be done as the internals are not there, just the screens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i work for a gentleman here in palm beach, fl taking care of his cars and this is a problem i have run into with his 05 QP he doesnt want anything aftermarket done with the car and simply wants the phone to work whether the dealer adds the hardware or we can find it else where. i spoke to a manager over at Shelton Ferrari/Maserati in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and he was very firm that there was no way for the dealership to add the phone hardware after production but that it was a US option, so basicly assuming you ordered the option u would be able to use a TMo or Cingular card in the phone.

If anyone has any information on this or can give some direction i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would question whether it was really an option on US cars and even if retrofit I doubt it would work (at least not well).

It is my understanding the phones are hardcoded to use European GSM frequencies which are different than the GSM used in the states. While I believe there is some overlap by Cingular in the Northeast US, it does not extend far beyond NYC.

just my experience on research for a 04 CC

-dsd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
dsd
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing