Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at listings on eBay, and noticed this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTAGE-PACKAGE-ALPINE-NAVIGATION-LOW-MILES_W0QQitemZ280216163328QQcmdZViewItem

Only thing that jumped out at me is that it appears somebody completely replaced the junky nav/headunit that the pre-GS cars came with and installed an Alpine system in its place - and it looks fairly good in the pictures (i.e like it was stock). Just thought that was interesting given the many threads of discussion about whether you could completely replace the screen/headunit.

(Note/disclaimer: I'm not selling that car, not affiliated with the dealer, have never seen it in person, don't know anything about it other than having seen the pictures on eBay.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nav Screen

I wonder who did the installation (phone #?), cost, performance, capabilities, etc?

Any idea? Does it still retain the CD Changer? Sat Radio? IPOD? What kind of Navigation, etc?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I mentioned, don't know anything about the car other than the eBay ad, but I suppose you could call the dealer and ask them if they have any details on the system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
And the QP nav sucks too! When I first turned it on, I literally LOL thinking, wow, those graphics look like my Atari from the early 80's. Maybe I can hook up centipede or missile command...

But luckily we didn't buy these things for their Nav systems...

·
Registered
793 Posts
I wonder who did the installation (phone #?), cost, performance, capabilities, etc?
Ad states original owner was from san Diego.

The only one there I know who could do this would be Scott at La Jolla Audio in La Jolla. He does incredible work.

I have his # in my office I can post tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The original M&M NIT sucks! That nav is a true joke. Ugly flat 2-d map without street names! I replaced mine with an Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro and a Garmin "black box" nav, which plugs right in to the hub (audio and RGB). I don't have pics of the nav screen yet but I'll post as soon as the nav install is complete. Here's a couple of pics of the STOCK rgb screen. The "orb" controlls everything. It'll switch between factory pass-through, iPod, Sirius, HD radio, Garmin nav, etc. It even plays video but I'm not a fan!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Alpine Nav/Radio

The photos Beeyouzeezee posted of the Alpine install look like the same unit that is shown in the Ebay ad (280216163328). It looks like the Beeyouzeezee install used the old Maserati head unit shell and installed a new Alpine Screen while the Ebay install removed the Maserati head unit completely and installed a new custom made shell.

Hope to see some more photos of this install and some price figures as well. Where was the work done? Can you post your opinion of how the new system works, photos of it in operation, etc
Thanks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The photos Beeyouzeezee posted of the Alpine install look like the same unit that is shown in the Ebay ad (280216163328). It looks like the Beeyouzeezee install used the old Maserati head unit shell and installed a new Alpine Screen while the Ebay install removed the Maserati head unit completely and installed a new custom made shell.

Hope to see some more photos of this install and some price figures as well. Where was the work done? Can you post your opinion of how the new system works, photos of it in operation, etc
Thanks
My install uses the stock WQVGA display, so no messing with the dash at all. The advantage is simple wire splicing in the center console (where the NIT is located). The disadvantage is no touch screen control so the "orb" controller must be used (although it is a nice little unit).

I did the install myself, which included opening the wiring harnesses and probing for signals with a scope. The display uses .7 volt RGB with 1 volt composite sync (Alpine and others use TTL sync so I had to design a converter/buffer). The speakers are on a standard ISO connector. Because the NIT is in the center console, all wires were tapped there and routed to the trunk where the Alpine Hub is located.

Over all I'm very pleased with the install. Having fully integrated iPod, Sirius and HD radio is awesome. The Alpine Hub is extensible so DVD (plays through dash screen), Alpine nav, Bluetooth module, backup camera, etc. can be easily hooked up. I opted for a Garmin black box nav, which uses an RF remote for control (not optimal). The Alpine blue/black presentation on the screen is kind of ugly :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nav Replacment

Hi Beeyouzeezee,
Can you tell me what is the model number of the Alpine unit and the black box nav unit? What other parts did you use? Where did you buy them?

Thanks much,
Rick

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hi Beeyouzeezee,
Can you tell me what is the model number of the Alpine unit and the black box nav unit? What other parts did you use? Where did you buy them?

Thanks much,
Rick
Sure....

-- Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro Model VPA-B222
This unit is about the size of a shoe box but only about 1.5" thick. It contains built-in AM/FM receiver, iPod interface, 4-Channel 50W amps (drive the speakers directly) and a bunch of connectors. Very industrial looking; designed to be mounted in the trunk. Bought on ebay for $400

--Sirius, CD changer, HD radio, Bluetooth modules are are all Alpine Ai-Net devices. Don't have the model numbers but should be easy to find with the VPA-B222 part number. ebay/amazon.com

-- Garmin navigation GVN-53
4"x4"x1.5" tiny black box. Plugs directly into one of the Vehicle Hub's AUX ports. In this mode video is NTSC composite to the dash display. Fairly clear. I used the RGB output for much higher resolution. This is a high-end Garmin unit with Text-To-Speech (automatically mutes music), multiple routes, etc. The unit is controlled by a small Bluetooth remote with a tiny little trackball.
amazon.com $430.00

Let me know if you need anything else....

Buzz

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was looking at listings on eBay, and noticed this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTAGE-PACKAGE-ALPINE-NAVIGATION-LOW-MILES_W0QQitemZ280216163328QQcmdZViewItem

Only thing that jumped out at me is that it appears somebody completely replaced the junky nav/headunit that the pre-GS cars came with and installed an Alpine system in its place - and it looks fairly good in the pictures (i.e like it was stock). Just thought that was interesting given the many threads of discussion about whether you could completely replace the screen/headunit.

(Note/disclaimer: I'm not selling that car, not affiliated with the dealer, have never seen it in person, don't know anything about it other than having seen the pictures on eBay.)
Gen 2 AuCar 9” screen wireless Android and CarPlay. $1250 group buy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts