Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone bothered to try to replace the stock horns in a GranSport? I live in the land of moronic drivers and need something with a bit more kick to get their attention. There are a lot of large trucks that I can only imagine have trouble seeing me and hearing me above their loud stereos and tire noise. I was thinking either a set of stock Ferrari horns (from an F430), or a set of PIAA Sports Horns 500/600 Hz for a louder, more European sound. Thoughts?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace the whole exhaust and they will most definitely hear you ;)

PS: Sorry, I can't help on the horn.
Nice one! :D But... not exactly what I was looking for. :rolleyes: Contrary to most folks, I really like the sound of the stock exhaust on the GS.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're actually pretty cheap--about $35 for the pair if you get them from someplace like Eurospares or Ricambi. I just don't know if they'll be a straight drop in and go.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw a car at my local dealer that had the ferrari horn. Not sure how hard it was to do, but at least we know it can be done.
Maybe you could ask them a few questions about it, eh?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Horns

Where can you get a horn from a ferrari?

The famous Ferrari horn sound is made by a duotone airhorn setup. The airhorn manufacture FIAMM produced the Serie 2000 made for the Ferrari, early Lamborghini and some Bentley cars. The Serie 2000, which are two tin-pot trumpets that produce unique 'Ferrari' sound is not available and cannot be produced by any other plastic trumpet airhorn setup. It is an exclusive sound!

The last Ferrari's to get the famous FIAMM airhorns were the 355 and 456GT. New regulations by governments regarding horns on new cars have restricted airhorns as a horn option altogether on new exotics. The only way to obtain these airhorns are to buy them from salvage recycle yards or through new Ferrari parts, which are made completely plastic. As of 2007, the going price of a new Ferrari airhorn with plastic trumpets was around $130.00 USD.

Options/Alternatives

Hella, FIAMM and Stebel make two horns that sound very close to the Ferrari sound,(795Hz and 840Hz) only a trained musician's ear could really tell the difference. If you were to buy their 3 airhorn kit that is available the most major auto parts stores, you would set aside the longest horn and install the medium and short trumpets only. Voila! That is the closest you going to get to that Ferrari sound.(Stebel GPS - Stebel.com) Hella is the only manufacture that sells the correct medium and short airhorns together in one kit, with the correct sound.

WOLO horns - Poor quality, horrific sound for the price that best fits junk make in China. WOLO horns are not going to get you that Ferrari sound.

I actually put oem 355 horns on my 2002 spyder. Sounds european now.

Check this link out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgNSNW3Fp0Y

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
265 Posts
horns

I had Kent Woodworth of Universal Autosports in Long Island do the install while it was in for other servicing. He charged me 2 hrs to do the install. From what I know the original horns are di-electric horns, the new ones are air horns and include a compressor. Total installed price ~ $400.00

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you get the di-electric or the air horns?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. I just re-read your original post again and I understand. Where did they find room for the compressor and trumpets?

·
Registered
265 Posts
horns

I can not see where they are from the top. It sounds like it is near the air filter box. Kent, if you read this you might want to reply.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can not see where they are from the top. It sounds like it is near the air filter box. Kent, if you read this you might want to reply.
Kent, are you out there?

Mazzerman, can you PM me his contact information? Perhaps he'd be willing to give me a bit of info so I can have my guy down here do the same thing. (Too bad I don't live in Brooklyn anymore.) By the way, where did you get the horns? I assume you can get them from Eurospares or Ricambi...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah I'm still lurking out here every once in a while. It's the busy season and I am behind the 8 ball lately.
I'll post some pics and details of the install when i get to the shop tomorrow.
sorry for the two month late response...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No worries, man. You sent me the PDF (which was wonderful, by the way!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts