Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the radio buttons and keypad on my Spyder are being plagued by the infamous sticky plastic problem. I want to replace them, but if its going to be a lengthy and costly process I'm just going to have a local shop strip them down, repaint and relabel them.

I'm wondering if there is a DIY anywhere on the forum or online for removing the NAV console and taking out the buttons. I searched for it a little but came up with nothing.

Does anyone also know where (other than the dealer) to buy all the buttons around the radio/NAV console?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Noticed no answers - I have same basic question so if you do figure something out please do let us know. Cheers!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm here on this too.

I'm anxiously awaiting any kind of tips.

I wish you could just buy new buttons, pop open the thing and replace it.

Gene

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well guys, I ended up buying a new NAV unit and am going to just use the buttons from it to replace mine. I still need to find the window and Sport buttons so hopefully that will be just as easy.

A local custom shop said they could sand mine down, repaint them any color and repaint the numbers/letters on them, but I think going stock is a better option and for once is actually cheaper!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks for update. Did you get the NAV unit on e-bay?

·
Registered
11 Posts
After market?

I wonder if there is a way to install an aftermarket unit that would still look stock? I would love to replace the whole nav/entertainment unit and add blue tooth so I could actually use a cell phone, etc. interface. I've seen some of the crazy stereo upgrades, but would like to keep the look and feel of the car as it is. I guess this is unlikely...good luck with your project!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Borgenhard, I actually was offered it by another forum member at a steal! There was one on eBay selling for $1000 which is insane! Keep your eyes out though, you can find them for good deals.

Aero, theoretically you can install an aftermarket system. It would cost a lot to do it so it looks OEM, but it is possible as I've seen it before. You might want to consider the new headunit Alpine just realeased at CES the other day thats compatable with the iPhone
http://i.gizmodo.com/5125794/the-ix...st-touchscreen-iphone-compatible-car-receiver

To properly do an aftermarket install I'd take it to a custom shop versus a stereo shop because they will have to fabricate a custom bracket and harness.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks ocamilo, that Alpine looks like a nice unit. I have a great custom shop near Philadelphia, I'll check into it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.