Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the 2 center mid pipes replaced with straight pipes. As others on this forum noted, there was about only a 20% increase in sound. The tone is deeper and richer but not yet adequate IMHO. Also get more burbling sounds with an occasional pop when down shifting. The next plan is to replace the 2 rear mufflers with Magnaflow oval resonators attached to straight pipes and some tips (if we can fit them).
Will let you guys know of the results.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Demoe,
It cost me about $385 but I'm sure you can do better as this is Scottsdale pricing. Just remember though that a stainless steel setup is about twice that of a regular steel setup so prices you got are most likely the non-S.S. pipes. The setup that I have is very similar to the photos, sort of an elongated 'X', from the cats to the rear muffler. We were affraid that straight pipes from the cats to the tips would create too much 'popping', so of uncharacteristic of an Italian luxury brand. If I don't find a set of used Tubis, I'll go with option 2 mentioned above, removing the rear muffler and tips and going with straight pipes with 2 Magnaflow resonators (with baffles) attached to some nice tips. As stated above, expect about a 20% increase in sound with the removal of the centre resonators with a little bit of rasp to go with it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if the raspiness comes from the fact that they are aluminum pipes and not S.S. I don't hear that on my car, just more of a deep tone. Spoke with the muffler people today, next on the agenda is to replace the rear mufflers. I agree, that midpipe is HEAVY. I'm thinking that there should be another 40-50 lbs of weight savings once I replace the rear mufflers.
On order are Magnaflow rear tips and two 14" resonators which will feed from the mid-pipes on one end and to the tips on the other. That should temper and deepen the sound compared to just straight pipes from the cats. Pretty excited but not sure what the result will be. I was quoted about $630 for the work so its not a cheap experiment but nonetheless an interesting one.
Will keep you guys in tune.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts