Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too need to replace the subwoofers in my cabrio. I have a 2013 and the foam around the subs has torn. I have “repaired “ the subwoofers twice now but the problem has come back again. I will say that it is pretty easy to remove the seats and get access to the sub box. However, I would love to find a good replacement for the speakers. I realize that I can purchase used Bose ones on eBay but I would love to buy a new pair. Has anyone found a good replacement sub that will fit in the existing box without major modifications? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I too need to replace the subwoofers in my cabrio. I have a 2013 and the foam around the subs has torn. I have “repaired “ the subwoofers twice now but the problem has come back again. I will say that it is pretty easy to remove the seats and get access to the sub box. However, I would love to find a good replacement for the speakers. I realize that I can purchase used Bose ones on eBay but I would love to buy a new pair. Has anyone found a good replacement sub that will fit in the existing box without major modifications? Thanks.
I think it's a very proprietary sub. However, if you wanted to modify the box with a MDF trim ring (easy-you remove old sub, glue the wood ring in, mount new sub to the wood), I think you could fit a JL Audio 6.5" or 8" in there. Note: the subwoofer box itself is amplified. So you can use the existing wiring to power the sub, but you might want to get a matching ohm sub (2 ohm I think?) to avoid issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I searched the forums for an acceptable replacement speaker that would provide the best fit without modifications and ordered a pair from Amazon that another post said was the closest to the stock Bose woofers. I will keep you posted on their fit and more importantly their sound quality.

·
Registered
2012 Gran Turismo Convertible
71 Posts
Well, I searched the forums for an acceptable replacement speaker that would provide the best fit without modifications and ordered a pair from Amazon that another post said was the closest to the stock Bose woofers. I will keep you posted on their fit and more importantly their sound quality.
Would be interested to know what speakers you are referring. I have same issue in my convertible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would be interested to know what speakers you are referring. I have same issue in my convertible.
Update: Well, the speakers that I ordered will not fit without modifications. It appears that the four screw holes line up fine but the magnet is too large to fit in the housing without a spacer. I decided that if I am going to do any modifications then I would be investing in a better quality speaker. On that note, the Bose speaker magnets are tiny compared to same size woofers from other manufacturers.

Anyhow, I’ve put a ring of silicone around the cone of the Bose speakers again and they should last another 6 months or so before they shake themselves apart. Oh well.

·
Registered
2012 Gran Turismo Convertible
71 Posts
Update: Well, the speakers that I ordered will not fit without modifications. It appears that the four screw holes line up fine but the magnet is too large to fit in the housing without a spacer. I decided that if I am going to do any modifications then I would be investing in a better quality speaker. On that note, the Bose speaker magnets are tiny compared to same size woofers from other manufacturers.

Anyhow, I’ve put a ring of silicone around the cone of the Bose speakers again and they should last another 6 months or so before they shake themselves apart. Oh well.
Cool, thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool, thanks!

What speakers did you order that didn’t fit...so others don’t make the same mistake?

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,855 Posts
All Italian cars have crappy sound systems. My 430 Spider originally came with an ancient Becker's radio and only 2 speakers! (With the loud engine behind you, though, you can't even hear it. Lol).

Now days, most current Maserati's come with Harmon Kardon (which still sucks).

Contrast this with the Germans. BMW offers Bowers & Wilkins, Mercedes with Burmester, and Audi with Bang & Olufsen. All top-end.

Italians are just not good with offering bells & whistles on their cars. Their focus is on the driving experience.

Reactions: rdown76

·
Registered
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
528 Posts
All Italian cars have crappy sound systems. My 430 Spider originally came with an ancient Becker's radio and only 2 speakers! (With the loud engine behind you, though, you can't even hear it. Lol).

Now days, most current Maserati's come with Harmon Kardon (which still sucks).

Contrast this with the Germans. BMW offers Bowers & Wilkins, Mercedes with Burmester, and Audi with Bang & Olufsen. All top-end.

Italians are just not good with offering bells & whistles on their cars. Their focus is on the driving experience.
All very true.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,855 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts