Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was inevitable, at some point I was going to ding a rim :mad: . Just barely drove against a curve ...

It isn't a big or long gouge, its just at the rim edge, but it is upsetting nevertheless. Being some what obsessive about my car (07 QP Sport) I would like to fix it if possible. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing. Can it be done by yourself? Is it hard to match the colour of rim whether you do it or someone else? Should I be concerned about the balance with the small amount of material missing? Or does repairing it do anything to the balance? Is it worth fixing (ie. not too expensive, looks fine after repair etc.)

·
Registered
660 Posts
It was inevitable, at some point I was going to ding a rim :mad: . Just barely drove against a curve ...

It isn't a big or long gouge, its just at the rim edge, but it is upsetting nevertheless. Being some what obsessive about my car (07 QP Sport) I would like to fix it if possible. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing. Can it be done by yourself? Is it hard to match the colour of rim whether you do it or someone else? Should I be concerned about the balance with the small amount of material missing? Or does repairing it do anything to the balance? Is it worth fixing (ie. not too expensive, looks fine after repair etc.)
Have done a couple of refurbs here in the UK (small gouge on the outher rim edge against the unfortunate high kerb...) If you go for a place that takes your wheel, stripes it completely, repairs, power-coats and bakes it properly, you would not have a single issue... will look as brand new. Sometimes, doing both rims on the same side ensures that you get no optical differences in the color match, but if the place knows their trade you should see no differences anyway.

Just do a search for a reputable place near your area. And avoid at all costs any mobile (smart-repair) solution..!

Forget about balancing issues unless you really dented the wheel badly (sometimes a big hit throws the wheel out of alignment, but if that was the case, then the damage would be serious, rather than cosmetic).

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Expensive to do?

Thanks for input. Sounds rather expensive if stripping and baking, n'est ce pas? I guess it is cheaper than a new rim!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks for input. Sounds rather expensive if stripping and baking, n'est ce pas? I guess it is cheaper than a new rim!
Nope, not expensive. Here in the UK I did the 4 wheels of my former Coupe (just because I wanted all to look exactly the same, having 2 small but noticeable scrapes on 2 wheels each side... but I'm a nutter) for 200 Pounds, or 400 US.

See www.lepsons.com just to see what's involved (they are the ones who did my rims).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here in the states I believe it runs about $80-100 per wheel, and should look like new when done.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could check this out, wheelcollision.com. They are located in PA. I have heard that they do a good job. Or you may look at the ad. in the back of any car magazine for wheels repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts