Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am just checking to see what you all think about using a 2003 GT Coupe as a daily driver. I am from a Porsche background, but have not been able to see the value in spending 80k for a used 03 C4S when a a seemingly superior car (Maserati) exists for less money. Also, how much money for service should I expect (I will put about 15k a year on it?) This is new for me, so any thoughts help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I live in New England so I always have two cars, One to be driven from about April 1 to end of November and the other just for winter. I picked up a new Maserati Spyder GT on March 31 and have driven it every single day since and have not had one problem using it as my daily driver. If car has full 4 years left on warranty all you will spend is Between $350-$400 for oil changes. Not that bad as My boxster use to cost me about $160 for dealer oil change

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I actually work for Porsche here in Denver, but I still makes very little sense to purchase one of our cars, just for the sake of the name plate. I love the way the Maserati looks, and sounds, and to get as much leather in a Porsche would cost at least 20k. That being said, I have heard that the 15k, 30k, and so on services for the Maserati are as expensive as the Ferrari. Is this true or not? Does any one have any kind of idea as to how much the major services cost? Just checking. Realistically, I will probably be going with the Maserati over the Porsche.

Thanks for the help
Mark DiGrappa

·
Registered
252 Posts
Big part of Ferrari's high service expense is due to it's belts where Maserati is chain driven and will not require much more expense than a standard motor for those service intervals. Ferrari may have made the motor for Maserati but it is a misconcepetion that it will be expensive to service. That was one of my first concerns also and the dealer cleared it up for me. I forget what he said those interval service would cost as I change cars about every two-three years and only put about 2,000 miles on a year anyway, so was not really paying attention, But I would have remembered if they were very high. I also came close to ordering a 911 Cab but as I started to put together an order found the price getting very high with just some options, I think it was going to be about $5,000 extra just to get nearly as much leather as Maserati, Then as he gave me prices of things like electric seats and other options I knew came standard on Maserati, I said good bye. Have never regretted my decision especially when my 911 friends drool all over my car and tell me that their next car will be a Maserati

·
Registered
10 Posts
scott said:
...you will spend is Between $350-$400 for oil changes...
Whoa, are you serious? $350-$400 for an oil change? Is it mandatory for warranty that this be done at a dealership? Does it use some special synthetic like the Enzo?

Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for helping clear that up. I am not too concerned about the oil changes, just the reliability of being able to drive it every day, and that concern is gone now. I guess now the question is whether to get the used 03 or an 04. I plan on getting the GT version, unless the Cambio just blows my mind when I drive it.

Thanks again for your time

Mark

·
Registered
252 Posts
The GT is a blast to drive. I am not against the Cambio just that after driving my M3 SMG for two years I find that change is good. Do not go by reviews of the GT shifting most are from 2002 models. I find the shifting to be right on par with the Boxster S I had

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pat S said:
scott said:
...you will spend is Between $350-$400 for oil changes...
Whoa, are you serious? $350-$400 for an oil change? Is it mandatory for warranty that this be done at a dealership? Does it use some special synthetic like the Enzo?

Pat
I think he meant a total of $350-400 for all the oil changes performed during the four-year ownership period.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure what it included but was told my cost would be between $300-$400 a year. I was not really paying attention once I was assured my fears of Ferrari type costs did not apply to Maserati. I bought a couple extra quarts of oil from dealership and that part was about the same as any high end synthetic oil so i guess part of the big cost is probably due to having a Ferrari Mechanic at a high hourly rate performing the service. Part of the cost was all the service they would do for a seasonal vehicle, Probably included things like draining and flushing fluids due it's sitting around all winter. I know I have that done to my 4runner and that yearly service costs me almost $200 a year. Would still much rather pay them to service yearly than bring my car to a Jiffy Lube, Plus they will get me my sticker and do not need to temporally attach my front plate like I did on previous cars. My Porsche was about $160 for it's yearly oil change so I guess it just goes with the territory, High Ends cars more expensive to service. Was the nice thing about the BMW, Free oil changes for the first 4 years. Does make it a bit of the reason I will have to check out the next generation M3 with a V8 when it comes out. I thought I read somewhere that Maserati was giving the free service during the warranty period in Europe? Would be a big boost for sales here in the US if they gave it here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Just to say I bought an 04 Coupe GT in April. It's parked on the street overnight, I use it to commute through central London every day and I even do the supermarket run in it. Hasn't let me down yet, 5500 miles in, and only a few niggles to report, but it is such a blast to drive. I love the double takes from people who don't know what it is but like it anyway and I even had a cyclist tell me it was a cool car!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
ggeo said:
Hi all,

Just to say I bought an 04 Coupe GT in April. It's parked on the street overnight, I use it to commute through central London every day and I even do the supermarket run in it. Hasn't let me down yet, 5500 miles in, and only a few niggles to report, but it is such a blast to drive. I love the double takes from people who don't know what it is but like it anyway and I even had a cyclist tell me it was a cool car!
Welcome to the site and a great story. The Maserati is a beautiful car so I'm sure you get lots of double takes. Just curious, what few niggles have you had?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Thanks.

Niggles, well the trident and wheel nuts are showing some surface rust, the clutch needed adjusting to stop a noise, which incidentally solved a very notchy gearbox, and there is a puff of smoke on startup sometimes after a short drive.

Nothing's fallen off yet though, unlike my BMW which lost a sidelight at high speed less than 24 hours after I drove it out of the showroom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I baught my car four months ago on a whim. This is my first Italian car and so far so good. I have to say that I am very impressed with the build quality and the overall driving experience.

I had second doubts ,as I was about to sign the papers and hand-over the money, if I had made the right decision or not;but that feeling evaporated as soon as I drove the car. It's so diffrent from anything else that I had baught before.

The only disappointment was that my skyhook-less car leaned a bit too much for my licking. I'm getting used to the Cambiocorse and ,apart from two occasions, never had it on auto. It's an 04 so it doesn't blip on downshifts even on pwr mode.

The color is mediterranian blue with a very light creme leather. It sure stands out between my two all black Porsche cars.

Overall, I made the right choice and I don't regret going for the Maserati.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver. What's the fun in driving it only on weekends? Life is too short. I drove a BMW 850 as a daily driver also but v-12 repairs and reliability were eventually an issue. Was going to buy a 348 or 355 but got better performance with a CC and still had a warranty, back seats, and a trunk. What more could you ask for. Since I was going to use it as a daily driver, I bought a used one to minimize the depreciation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts