Maserati Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I thought it was every 2 years for a full fluid change and every year for an oil change.

Are you guys really keeping the oil in your cars for 2 years? The service manual states oil should be replaced annually.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm a little confused by the service schedule. It's my understanding that service is done by miles and/or year. So if you're in a 2009 and its now 2016 shouldn't it have been in service at least 7 times now?

I drive a 2013 GT and take it in annually. Coming up this September I'll be due for my 3rd service interval.
Scheduled service intervals are quoted as 12,500 miles or 2 years. So having the 36k-ish service in October 2015 is right on schedule. Others like to have it serviced more often but I tend to follow the manufacturers recommendations.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you change oil every 12,500 miles, then you'll become another one of those guys who hear strange noises from their engine and eventually find out a very expensive bill is coming their way due to the damage, which usually forces them to sell the car. They almost always come here to complain.

You've been warned :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you change oil every 12,500 miles, then you'll become another one of those guys who hear strange noises from their engine and eventually find out a very expensive bill is coming their way due to the damage, which usually forces them to sell the car. They almost always come here to complain.

You've been warned :)
Well that's OK if you presume to know what's better for the Mas than does Maserati itself. I wonder how it would serve Maserati's interest to promote a service schedule that is deleterious to the car and reputation?

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Well that's OK if you presume to know what's better for the Mas than does Maserati itself. I wonder how it would serve Maserati's interest to promote a service schedule that is deleterious to the car and reputation?
The same Maserati that had a known variator problem (and a fix for it) but didn't bother telling owners much less issuing a recall. Ok, if anyone out there thinks it's a good idea to go 12,500 miles between oil changes, knock yourself out. Personally, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The same Maserati that had a known variator problem (and a fix for it) but didn't bother telling owners much less issuing a recall.
So Maserati's service interval is recommended out of Maserati's ignorance? Or out of malice? It's in their (and their dealers') financial interest to recommend more frequent maintenance, isn't it? So why don't they? Maybe they have data that support their interval? Where's your data?:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
So Maserati's service interval is recommended out of Maserati's ignorance? Or out of malice? It's in their (and their dealers') financial interest to recommend more frequent maintenance, isn't it? So why don't they? Maybe they have data that support their interval? Where's your data?:smile2:
Maybe apathy. I don't know and I don't care. As to the disagreement, I'm perfectly happy to cede the point. I'm not going to bother to even look for data. So you win. Like I said, if you want to go 12,500 miles between oil changes, knock yourself out. It isn't my engine or my repair bill.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Maybe apathy. I don't know and I don't care. As to the disagreement, I'm perfectly happy to cede the point. I'm not going to bother to even look for data. So you win. Like I said, if you want to go 12,500 miles between oil changes, knock yourself out. It isn't my engine or my repair bill.
Pace Brother,

Just a friendly discussion. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My data is my experience, I've been around these engines from the start and over the years we've learned what they need. Overall, they are bulletproof, but they do need regular oil changes to keep them from causing wear (eg: variators).

Yes I know of a QP with 250,000km in Milan, and several other cars with well over 100,000km (4.2 and 4.7 engines) and all of them are still working fine without a problem. But they have more regular oil changes than what the service book says.

I change my oil every 5,000km or so. But thats just me...

I understand that most supercars eventually loose their value and end up in the hands of people who can't maintain them properly, they opt for cheap break pads, cheap tyres, cheap oils and avoid doing maintenance hoping they'll delay it enough for after the car has been sold to the next guy. I'm not one of those guys, I keep my cars and I expect them to be 101% perfect, so I do spend a bit more on them than the average "dude".

Your mileage may vary. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. You've been warned. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
There are a couple of reasons why Maserati *might* recommend an extended service schedule. For example, to attract more lease buyers (probably not hugely likely). It's widely thought that Alfa Romeo did it for this reason when they advised replacement of cambelts on the TS engines at 50k miles. The replaced this with a recommendation to change every 36k miles after they started snapping and lunching engines....

C

·
Registered
122 Posts
I change my oil every 5,000km or so. But thats just me...
Everyone has their own comfort level with how often they do oil changes. This discussion raged on and on and on in the Porsche community when I owned one of them as well. Part of the issue here is that many of us old timers grew up with dino oil and crude car technology so that a 3000 mile (5000km) change interval was necessary. With the huge advances in oil and car technology this is not only wasteful in terms of the $$ you spend but its also polluting the earth at a much more rapid rate than is necessary (4x as fast if you are changing at 3000m vs the recommended 12,000m). If you look at reputable articles on the Internet they all say stop with the 3000m and follow the recommended schedule from your manufacturer.

Let's look at this logically. Where is Maserati's incentive to have longer oil change intervals? Most of the incentive is to have shorter intervals. Gets you into the dealer more often. Makes them additional $$ more regularly. Protects them from lawsuits.

To each his own but my $0.02 is that this is extremely wasteful and hugely unnecessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning Folks,
I've been in the market almost pulling the trigger on one until I seen the car fax. I'm sure my insurance as I just turned 25 living in the downtown Milwaukee are with a bad driving record. (lol). I have a strong love for these cars as this will be my daily driver. Any one know of any good service centers in the Midwest area as well as what should I suspect buying a used 08-10 Gt with over 45k miles?
thanks
-CH

·
Registered
149 Posts
So I have a question as a non-expert on oil. My car only gets about 1500 - 2000 miles year max, although i do make sure to drive it at least every two weeks for 20 miles or so.

My understanding is that modern synthetic oils really don't break down over time like the dino oils used to. So with low mileage, do those of you that advocate for frequent oil changes still recommend once per year?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts