Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next car purchase is coming soon (April '07 if not sooner).
The car I buy will be my only car, a daily driver in Southern California, with a daily commute of 18 (mostly freeway) miles each way.
I do approx. 12,000 miles per year.
I want to use the car for 4 years (adding 48,000 miles to whatever existing mileage).

The question: is it feasible for me to buy a 6sp Manual Coupe ('04 or '05) with less than 15K miles on the clock?

Have any of you driven any of the current models for that long or that many miles and what have your issues been, if any?

My basic choice is between a Maser Coupe or a Porsche 911.
I like the personality and the look of the Maser, but I must have reliability.

I appreciate your feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
our cars aren't problematic as people make them out to be. i have an 2002 cc coupe with 50,000 on the clock im on my second clutch, and f1 pump, but other than regular maintenance (oil changes) i haven't seen any major probs. my warranty just ran out but i plan on keeping my mas. for many more miles. only thing to factor in is gas mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
pvanosta said:
My next car purchase is coming soon (April '07 if not sooner).
The car I buy will be my only car, a daily driver in Southern California, with a daily commute of 18 (mostly freeway) miles each way.
I do approx. 12,000 miles per year.
I want to use the car for 4 years (adding 48,000 miles to whatever existing mileage).

The question: is it feasible for me to buy a 6sp Manual Coupe ('04 or '05) with less than 15K miles on the clock?

Have any of you driven any of the current models for that long or that many miles and what have your issues been, if any?

My basic choice is between a Maser Coupe or a Porsche 911.
I like the personality and the look of the Maser, but I must have reliability.

I appreciate your feedback.
The hardest part is finding a low mileage 6sp M/T
I would start looking now.

I see no reason why one would not make as good of a daily driver as a 911.

I looked for a good used one, and ended up with a new Stripper for just a little more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a California, one-owner 2004 Coupe with 17000 miles...
Just debating internally now whether to go for it or to buy a 2002 911 turbo or a 2005 911 carrera instead...

My gut and my ears say Maser...my rational mind says 911...

Thank you for your feedback by the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
pvanosta said:
I found a California, one-owner 2004 Coupe with 17000 miles...
Just debating internally now whether to go for it or to buy a 2002 911 turbo or a 2005 911 carrera instead...

My gut and my ears say Maser...my rational mind says 911...

Thank you for your feedback by the way.
This is a MASERATI board. We drive MASERATIs and we are going to be passionate about our cars. That said, I love my car. I've had new BMWs, Vipers and a thousand other forgetable cars. The Maser is an entry level Ferrari (and it feels just as fast as my '98 Viper). Should you buy a totally unique "once in a lifetime" car or a 911??? I don't know. I see 10 911's on the street every day (almost as many Corvettes). It's my daily driver and I love it. If you can't afford (not saying you can't!) about $4000 a year just in case the clutch fails (and it probably won't), you souldn't do it. Remember the Maser is considered an Italian exotic..... Is the 911? Take the plunge and join the brotherhood. You're welcomed with open arms!!!!!!

Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I have noticed that in the USA, 911 drivers are the slowest on the road. Maybe all they want is a reliable car. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
pvanosta said:
I found a California, one-owner 2004 Coupe with 17000 miles...
Just debating internally now whether to go for it or to buy a 2002 911 turbo or a 2005 911 carrera instead...

My gut and my ears say Maser...my rational mind says 911...

Thank you for your feedback by the way.
The 911 turbo would be my choice here, but I just couldn't wrap my arms around the 993 body style, with those funky headlamps.
The Turbo motor is a solid piece, and should be reliable.
The non turbo models suffer from the occasional Rear Main Seal (RMS) issue, as well as some catostrophic engine failures. You should get on the Rennlist site and read up un them.

I spent about 9 months looking at the Posrches, (cayman and 911), Maserati, as well as the Mercedes Coupes to see which 6 M/T car was the one for me.
(I drive the car about 5000 miles per year)

The Stripper coupe was the best one for my needs. Brand New, no stories, 4 year warrenty, for less than a new base no option 911.

If you can find a good 997 Porsche, I would consider one of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
OK, here's my take on this. In ultimate terms the 911 is probably the better car but not by that big a margin, but better nonetheless. However, as has been said before (and certainly in London) it seems like everyone has a 911 and I wanted something different. I literally fell in love the Maser first time I got in it. My wife also commneted at how nice it was and that it was not at all what she expected. I bought it almost there and then. I drive the Mas every day and every day I get in it and it feels special and the reason if feels special is because it is special. I have never had that feeling in any other car and certianly not in a 911. I have had it nearly a year with no reliability issues and I got the 6sp M/T which you are considering so there is no issue about premature clutch wear or F1 pump failure.

In the end it is your decision, but if you have a passion for what you drive nothing the other side of a Ferrari will give as much as the Maser. Good luck with your choice.

Carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I have owned multiple 911s and now the GS. The GS wins hands-down as the more invigorating drive. Every time you get in the car and trundle off to work it is an experience. Life is short, if your heart tells you to get the Maser then GET THE MASER......what is the worst thing that could happen?....after a few years you decide to get a 911....so what? You have the money. BTW the Maser has a good warranty, the dealers provide loaners, roadside assist will flatbed tow your car at no charge to the dealer.....and 911s (despite the myth) are NOT bulletproof.
Buy the Maserati.......just say it with me slowly....Maaaseeerrrrrateeeeeeee (make sure you roll that R sound too)!
Maaaaaassseeerrrrrraaahhhhhhhteeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Damn that sounds gooood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you again

Thank you all for your feedback. You have echoed some of my feelings here.
This is valuable data and will help me with my decision making.
I fully understand the visceral response that comes with driving an exciting car. I work in Newport Beach, CA, one of the few places in the world that has more 911s than London (I lived in London for 9 years also).

I have driven a 'temperamental' car as a daily driver in the past (a TVR Chimaera to be precise), so I know what that's like.

One final question: driver height.

I am 6'5". In my '01 911 I JUST fit, with less than 1 inch headroom.

Will I fit in a Maser Coupe?
I could go to a dealer if it's too close to call, but I don't like to waste their time if I have no intention of buying from them.

Thanks again for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
pvanosta said:
One final question: driver height.

I am 6'5". In my '01 911 I JUST fit, with less than 1 inch headroom.

Will I fit in a Maser Coupe?
I could go to a dealer if it's too close to call, but I don't like to waste their time if I have no intention of buying from them.

Thanks again for your help.
If you work in Newport Beach, then drop by the Ferrari/Maserati showroom on PCH. Talk to Chris for checking out some showroom fit check time.

If you feel uncomfortable about a franchise dealer, then talk to Cliff at DC Motors in Anaheim. DC Motors is on La Palma - half a block east of Lakeview. They specialize in Exotics and all the cars in the showroom and in the lot are unlocked and available for a test drive. Last time I checked - just the other day - DC Motors has 5 QPs, and 3 Coupes.

http://www.fmsocal.com

http://www.dc-motors.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Brian.

I know the Ferrari/Maerati delaer on PCH.

Right next door is Phillips, a high-end used car dealership, which has a Spyder on the lot at the moment. I'll go check them out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Go to Auto Gallery and buy the last 6sp MT coupe GT. It Is silver, and You can probably get a good price. It's a new car, I don't know about how you would fit I'm only 5"9". I drive my car about 4. days a week, about 6000 miles a year. It has been good so far.
Ron:)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
futrmgownr said:
what do you mean by a "new stripper"?
There was limited run of coupes with no options. They were either black or silver, with black interiors.
These "stripped down" cars stickered for 80K, but could be had for significantly less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
After working for a dealer for over 2 years, your best buy IMO is a 2006 stripper... Or a 2005 GS with low miles. All the options in the coupe except the vintage packgage in 2005 are basically worthless to me. The stereo is terrible, the nav is worse. The only option that would drive me crazy is no xenons and skyhook.

Nothing IMO beats the Gransport for sound, and looks. People dont even know what it is half the time. At least around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Ron Avery said:
Go to Auto Gallery and buy the last 6sp MT coupe GT. It Is silver, and You can probably get a good price. It's a new car, I don't know about how you would fit I'm only 5"9". I drive my car about 4. days a week, about 6000 miles a year. It has been good so far.
Ron:)
Are you talking about the Auto Gallery in woodland hills? What year ? I can't find it on their website.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top