Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've started a overhaul program for Quattroporte V and GranTurismo subframes.
These have a common serious rust issues (upper control arm buckets rot out) due to a design flaw and poor factory coating.

We have a number of frames in stock that we've blasted, inspected and repaired where needed then powder-coated so these are greatly improved.

At current we have in stock:
  • Quattroporte V ZF
  • GranTurismo
We're waiting on extra core frames to be refurbished for:
  • Quattroporte V DuoSelect/F1 05-07
At the moment we don't yet have core frames for:
  • Quattroporte V 2004 (small bushing control arm aka first production run)
What goes wrong with them?
Basically two issues pop up if used in wet climates, the first issue is nearly invisible until you remove them with MOT's here we usually notice the problem when we can just stick a screwdriver in the lower supports!
  • Firstly the the upper-control arm mounts snuggle fit in the dents/pockets of the chassis rails
    • this traps dirt, mud, moister between the heavily coated chassis and the spray-painted frame just eating away over the years
  • Secondly there is nearly no water drain points
    • Control arm buckets fill with water, salt, mud and it just sits there eating away
    • U profiled beams that attached the frame to the middle chassis rails trap dirt that does the same

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Auto part Machine

·
Registered
799 Posts
Makes me glad mine looks like this! Great service to offer for the community, thank you.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
184 Posts
I saw a British car review the other day that mentioned a service that goes in and seals/undercoats it all. Sounded like it was pretty cheap but it looks like they wouldn't really get to the worst areas if the sub frame wasn't dropped out. I guess a little prevention is better than none.

I'd never heard of anyone doing this service.

·
Super Moderator
5,076 Posts
You'd probably be better served by asking Matt what his service actually entails rather than assume.

Particularly since he and his workshop was amongst (if not the first) to discover and publicise this issue. Maybe not so much of an issue in the US with different climate, driving patterns and road salting habits

C

·
Super Moderator
5,076 Posts
Marios highlighted the issue a number of years earlier.

Edit. For our US friends Marios is a living legend in the UK.
Now you mention it, my long term retrieval system is lumbering into gear. I think you're right!

C

·
Registered
799 Posts
Marios highlighted the issue a number of years earlier.

Edit. For our US friends Marios is a living legend in the UK.
If you say so, I've been on this forum for years and never heard the name before. I use a forum viewer however so I rarely see the actual webpage and avatars/sigs

·
Super Moderator
5,076 Posts
If you say so, I've been on this forum for years and never heard the name before. I use a forum viewer however so I rarely see the actual webpage and avatars/sigs

Marios doesn't post here. He doesn't post much on the UK forum, and we keep him to ourselves ;)

C

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
184 Posts
You'd probably be better served by asking Matt what his service actually entails rather than assume.

Particularly since he and his workshop was amongst (if not the first) to discover and publicise this issue. Maybe not so much of an issue in the US with different climate, driving patterns and road salting habits

C
If that was directed at my comment I wasn't talking about this service. I was merely commenting on something I saw where they said about $300 service that undercoated the subframe, sounded like in-situ, and that I'd never head of it before, especially here in the US.

I'm sure replacing the subframe with one of these refurbished ones is a bit more than $300 but glad to see they are offering it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts