Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any idea how much it would be to upgrade a coupe with red brake calipers ?
Just figuring out how much it takes in case I buy one without red calipers.
Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
You could repsray them, it's really not that hard and doesn't look bad. I may be able to have a guy make some Maserati stencils so you can retain the logo on the caliper.

If you want fully new yellow calipers, it'll be expensive, I can check for you if you'd like.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Clean em really well with brakeleen, cover what you don't want paint to get in/on (mask it/stuff it well), and use high temp engine paint. A larger number of lighter coats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was going to paint my calipers as well. I have not tried it yet, but I believe that if you mask the MASERATI letters on the Caliper and cut between letters so that each letter has its own piece of tape on it, then press down on the letters so it stick well, you can bend the tape over the edges of the letters so that you can file or VERY paitently trim off the excess with a razor so that only the tops of the letters are covered with tape which is essentially a stencil. Then you can paint right over the caliper and peel the tape off later after it is all dry.

Theoretical of course, but it should work. High temp engine/header paint is a must and yes, get it real clean first.
good luck
Robb

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you have access to adobe illustrator, you could probably create a template for the maserati script on the calipers, and have a sign printing shop cut that out of vinyl. provided you get the size right, you could apply that to the caliper, and it would be a pretty slick way of masking the letters while you paint.

- Mark

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is a great idea too.
although I was just in my local auto parts store and picked up a "Caliper Paint Kit" with everything needed for cleaning, masking preping and painting successfully for $15.00.
The best part is that it is not a spray paint, but a BRUSH ON paint. Thus leaving you the ability to paint your best around the "MASERATI" script and wipe off any excess with a paper towel wrapped around a pencil or a small cloth before it dries!
Brush on paints will also provide a brighter, thicker coat and less mess.

I am going to paint my calipers now!

good luck
Robb

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've used the $15 Caliper kit that Robb mentions. Did my Lotus red and the AMG blue. works well, and no problems in 6 months. you should take the wheels off first. i didn't and made a minor mess on one rim.

·
Registered
431 Posts
demoe said:
I've used the $15 Caliper kit that Robb mentions. Did my Lotus red and the AMG blue. works well, and no problems in 6 months. you should take the wheels off first. i didn't and made a minor mess on one rim.
Much simpler... You can get a set of 6 Maserati/porsche etc. scripts specifically for the calipers and in any colour from German ebay. I would be inclined to use High temp spray for that finish but hey if you go at the right speed, people wont be able to see how good/bad your "respray" was!

I have silver calipers to match the Grigio Nuvolari. I quite like Red or Yellow. What do you guys suggest?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts