Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys would these Hawk Performance HB616Z.607 Performance Ceramic pads fit the 2011 GTS 4.7 and does the Hawk rear pads HB194Z-570 NOT come with a cut out for the sensor....Was also looking at EBC Red Stuff pads which does have the cutout on the rear pad for the sensor. The annoying squealing is embarrassing in traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Forget brake pad sensors as they are useless...They either don't work because of uneven brake wear or come on about 5k miles early....You can't buy a separate sensor for a Maserati as it is built into the pad...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I don’t get the squealing part , this is the second or third post I’ve seen recommending pads which do not squeal ... Are OEM pads on our cars prone to squealing ? I’ve never had any new brake pads that squealed, on any car and in over 40 years of driving..the only time I’ve heard squealing was when the pads were almost completely worn and if they got wet in the rain . My GT brakes have always been, and are still completely silent .

Now , if the Hawk generate a lot less brake dust, than the OE ones , I’m all for that . Although there is a theory that less dust means a harder pad composite, and that wears out the rotors faster than softer pads. Also braking is supposedly not as great as with the softer pads. Again, just theory, I have no way to tell if that’s true, and I certainly haven’t tested soft vs hard pads on the same car to see if I could even detect a difference.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Most OE pads are soft and dusty.. The softer pad reduce the chances the brake noise...The manufactures don't want a bunch of cars under warranty in the shop with brake noise complaints..Lets face it...Most folks are used to brake dust so they won't bitch about that...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
True, you get used to brake dust even though it's not something you want to see and clean all the time. I presume it does not show on black or dark graphite wheels, but I don't like those ( just personal preference ) so I suppose that means I can't have my cake and eat it too ! :sneaky::confused: But squealing would drive me nuts, so that's the foremost consideration I'd have when getting any new breaks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Guys would these Hawk Performance HB616Z.607 Performance Ceramic pads fit the 2011 GTS 4.7 and does the Hawk rear pads HB194Z-570 NOT come with a cut out for the sensor....Was also looking at EBC Red Stuff pads which does have the cutout on the rear pad for the sensor. The annoying squealing is embarrassing in traffic.
Agree that the brake sensors aren't at all reliable, ty-wrap them out of the way!
I have used the Red Stuff pads and they are as good as OEM but they did dust a tad bit more than the Hawk Ceramics i am using now.... The Hawks have virtually no dust after a couple hundred miles and are at least as good as the OEM's also, in my experience... And a lot better price too. The Hawk Ceramic fronts were only $120 for my 2014 GT and come with the brake sensor cutout if you like... I can only speculate if they would fit your 2011.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
As far as the EBC pads...I actually like the green stuff compound...All my street vehicles use these...They hardly throw off any dust and what they do removes a lot easier than other pads...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information I got the HAWK PADS , front and back . was about to replace the pads then noticed the rotors look a bit sketchy. Called a Maserati dealer looking for a set of front rotors and was given a $853.00 price tag each and $398.00 for the rear each. Is there an alternative quality rotor you guys could link me too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
FD has rotors, but I don't think those look bad..You should measure them to be safe as I can't really determine the lip from the pic...I would let them fly as that is what they typically look like....Jason

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you drive your car like a Nancy, or are in lots of stopngo, you will squeal. Easist way to solve that problem is take it up to a hundred and stand on them a few times....instant glaze removal!

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
It’s always recommended to go through a hard braking, soft braking , braking from high speed , etc. routine within the first couple of minutes of installing new brakes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive got a squeal on factory pads and my car is under warranty.. will the local dealer entertain a complain like that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installed the Hawk Pads front & back today much better stopping power. I'll have to work on locating Rotors during winter these rotors are borderline. here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Those rotors are fine through that set of pads...Those are pretty big brakes for a street car..I would replace the rotors with the next set of pads...Jason

·
Registered
393 Posts
Installed the Hawk Pads front & back today much better stopping power. I'll have to work on locating Rotors during winter these rotors are borderline. here are some pictures.
I figured you would like the Hawk pads..... And the price!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Installed mine today as well. Spoke with Hawk regarding the shims. They said the fronts don’t require them. The stock ones are not reusable. You may introduce problems if you try.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
10 Participants
ddsski
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing