Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Can anyone recommend a battery tender/maintainer? I'm assuming they mean the same thing.

Somebody at a Ferrari/Maserati dealership I really trust recommended a make called Ctek, although I'm looking for the most cost efficient one. Don't need a premium brand name if it functions the same, just want a good safe easy to use one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey guys

Can anyone recommend a battery tender/maintainer? I'm assuming they mean the same thing.

Somebody at a Ferrari/Maserati dealership I really trust recommended a make called Ctek, although I'm looking for the most cost efficient one. Don't need a premium brand name if it functions the same, just want a good safe easy to use one.

Thanks!
C-tek (and it's not expensive -- not cheap either).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks to me like there are many different models of Ctek tenders, which one would be best for our GTs?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks to me like there are many different models of Ctek tenders, which one would be best for our GTs?
I have the Multi US 7002. Not sure where it ranks on the C-Tek spectrum...I had the dealer throw it in when I bought the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a bosch c3. You can fix the cable on your battery and unplug the device easily. It has a rubber cap on the cable to prevent sparks/fire. The device works fully automatic. Just plug it in and done.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have switched all my battery charger/maintainers to Save-A-Battery. I use the Model 9999. You can find them on Amazon. Not cheap, but the only brand I feel comfortable leaving hooked up 24/7. Also, if you live in an area that can have lightning storms, buy a single outlet surge protector to put between the charger and the wall outlet. A lightning strike can not only burn out the charger, but also can totally mess up the car's computers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ah, 3 different brand/model recommendations above to choose from. Hmm.

Pig tails?
It attaches to your battery (and remains there) and on the other end it has a quick connect/disconnect to your battery tender. Takes seconds to connect and disconnect your tender.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It attaches to your battery (and remains there) and on the other end it has a quick connect/disconnect to your battery tender. Takes seconds to connect and disconnect your tender.

Indeed! It's the only way to go (and comes with the C-tek).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is actually a bit more complex than I expected. Ctek has a ton of different models.

I don't need anything too fancy. Tips?

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is actually a bit more complex than I expected. Ctek has a ton of different models.

I don't need anything too fancy. Tips?
I think I've got the US3300 (4 years ago) and it does all the stuff I need. :wink2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Ctek 4.3 for my GT and it seems to do everything it's supposed to do. It comes with everything you need and is simple to install. My Maserati dealership recommended the brand.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the factory Maserati charger, which is a CTEK, just with the Maserati logo on it. Car is always plugged in, works great.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
While the car is plugged into the charger, does the trunk need to be fully closed? It can't because of the wire from the battery, right? So if it's slightly ajar, it won't drain the battery?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I placed a purchase for the multi US 3300 yesterday, along with the 8 foot extender cable. Not quite sure how it all works, but I'm guessing what I'll do is hook the two rings onto the battery terminals, hook that cable up to the 8 foot extension, which I guess I'll have sitting in the trunk? I'll have to slide it under the battery compartment lid, which won't fully close with the cable sticking out, then I'll have to run it along the side of a mat I have in the trunk.

Then, when I park, I'll pop the trunk, have the actual tender on the ground somewhere in the garage or hung on a wall and plug it in. If I'm missing a piece or a smart idea let me know.

While the car is plugged into the charger, does the trunk need to be fully closed? It can't because of the wire from the battery, right? So if it's slightly ajar, it won't drain the battery?
Good question, I wonder this as well.

I think you just leave it fully open, the trunk light does turn off after about 30 minutes I've noticed, at least I think it does.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So I placed a purchase for the multi US 3300 yesterday, along with the 8 foot extender cable. Not quite sure how it all works, but I'm guessing what I'll do is hook the two rings onto the battery terminals, hook that cable up to the 8 foot extension, which I guess I'll have sitting in the trunk? I'll have to slide it under the battery compartment lid, which won't fully close with the cable sticking out, then I'll have to run it along the side of a mat I have in the trunk.

Then, when I park, I'll pop the trunk, have the actual tender on the ground somewhere in the garage or hung on a wall and plug it in. If I'm missing a piece or a smart idea let me know.

Good question, I wonder this as well.

I think you just leave it fully open, the trunk light does turn off after about 30 minutes I've noticed, at least I think it does.
I don't close the trunk all the way...just lower it until it "sits".

I'm only familiar with how the trunk looks on a cabrio...not big at all. Inside my trunk there is a "lid" that I lift revealing a small compartment which the pigtail actually comes through from the battery. The end of the pigtail sits in this compartment. When I hook up my tender, I just lift the small lid and attach my tender.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought the "CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger" from Amazon. Works great. I plug it in and just let the trunk sit lightly on the wire when plugged in (not latched).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts