Maserati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Current focus is on the "little" SUV (based on the Alfa Stelvio) and on the GT successor which which must be able to accommodate all three engine concepts (ICE, Hybrid and full electro). The GT successor should come in 2022 on the market. The production of the current GT will definitely be discontinued by the end of this month.

They also work on a 2-seater mid-engined sports car with carbon chassis (positioned somewhere in the segment of Audi R8/McLaren GT), but its production is not safe.

Ghibli and QP still get a facelift. It is checked whether these two product lines are brought together again. That could mean that there will be no Ghibli with the new model generation. Only the QP, which will cover both segments. Reason: the QP has a more consistent history with better marketing potential, while the current Ghibli just does not fit with the first model. In other words, the Ghibli sells massively below expectations, these two product lines require a great deal of action.

But as it is, at Maserati you are never sure what will happen. But one thing is certain, the Alfieri id dead.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Current focus is on the "little" SUV (based on the Alfa Stelvio) and on the GT successor which which must be able to accommodate all three engine concepts (ICE, Hybrid and full electro). The GT successor should come in 2022 on the market. The production of the current GT will definitely be discontinued by the end of this month.

They also work on a 2-seater mid-engined sports car with carbon chassis (positioned somewhere in the segment of Audi R8/McLaren GT), but its production is not safe.

Ghibli and QP still get a facelift. It is checked whether these two product lines are brought together again. That could mean that there will be no Ghibli with the new model generation. Only the QP, which will cover both segments. Reason: the QP has a more consistent history with better marketing potential, while the current Ghibli just does not fit with the first model. In other words, the Ghibli sells massively below expectations, these two product lines require a great deal of action.

But as it is, at Maserati you are never sure what will happen. But one thing is certain, the Alfieri id dead.
Thanks for the update.
What more do you know and can say about the possible mid-engined model?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Thanks for the update.
What more do you know and can say about the possible mid-engined model?
I only know that the dealers were shown its design, the car looks sensational (there was an update in Modena a few months ago). But as I said, its production is not confirmed, unfortunately.

IMO such a product would make sense. The Granturismo successor positioned more towards the Panamera/Bentley GT and in addition to the this product-line a sharp mid-engine sports car to set the 911 under pressure. And as usual with a much nicer design than the Germans. We are allowed to dream... ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
IMO such a product would make sense. The Granturismo successor positioned more towards the Panamera/Bentley GT and in addition to the this product-line a sharp mid-engine sports car to set the 911 under pressure. And as usual with a much nicer design than the Germans. We are allowed to dream... ;)
That would make sense, making Maser's line-up:

An SUV or two
A sedan or two
A sports car
A luxury GT

It sounds like the "sports car" offering is merely a concept and marketing study at present, with no confirmed/approved plan to launch (completely unsurprising).

What is surprising is that its still unclear on the timing for a new Luxury GT?

Can anyone shed some light on when the GT replacement is coming out?

Is it even confirmed publicly by Maser?

If so, why no sightings of prototypes running around?

No pics of...well...anything to prove its being developed, let alone nearing public launch and sale?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
That would make sense, making Maser's line-up:

An SUV or two
A sedan or two
A sports car
A luxury GT

It sounds like the "sports car" offering is merely a concept and marketing study at present, with no confirmed/approved plan to launch (completely unsurprising).

What is surprising is that its still unclear on the timing for a new Luxury GT?

Can anyone shed some light on when the GT replacement is coming out?

Is it even confirmed publicly by Maser?

If so, why no sightings of prototypes running around?

No pics of...well...anything to prove its being developed, let alone nearing public launch and sale?
I wrote it a few lines above, the GT successor should come in 2022 on the market, not earlier (the car will use all drive technologies). My colleague told me he saw some desing pictures of the new GT which were not yet concrete, he saw just a beautiful car with a collection of today well known style elements (a Levante Trofeo compressed to a GT). He said the design direction is clear and he is sure that Maserati is still working on some exclusive design elements.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wrote it a few lines above, the GT successor should come in 2022 on the market, not earlier (the car will use all drive technologies). My colleague told me he saw some desing pictures of the new GT which were not yet concrete, he saw just a beautiful car with a collection of today well known style elements (a Levante Trofeo compressed to a GT). He said the design direction is clear and he is sure that Maserati is still working on some exclusive design elements.
Ah, thanks. Sorry I missed that. Leads to another question:

Why are they stopping making/selling the GT for 2 years (or more) before the replacement comes out?

That's highly unusual...not to mention economically interesting...I wonder what is causing them to take that decision?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Ah, thanks. Sorry I missed that. Leads to another question:

Why are they stopping making/selling the GT for 2 years (or more) before the replacement comes out?

That's highly unusual...not to mention economically interesting...I wonder what is causing them to take that decision?
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with my dealer. He told me the 2-seater mid-engined sports car with carbon chassis is confirmed, it will be presented at the Geneva Auto-Salon in spring 2020, delivery start in autumn 2020. Wit production start it will only be available with the Ferrari Portofino/Levante Trofeo engine (3.8 liter tt, 590hp), later the car should also be available with hybrid.

IMO this is the question to your answer, Maserati will bridge the gap with the 2 seater sports car until the new Granturismo will be launched.

He said to the Granturismo production stop that the sales figures are now very bad, too many "special editions" have already been offered, and the press can no longer be motivated for positive reports. Do not ride a dead horse too long.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with my dealer. He told me the 2-seater mid-engined sports car with carbon chassis is confirmed, it will be presented at the Geneva Auto-Salon in spring 2020, delivery start in autumn 2020. Wit production start it will only be available with the Ferrari Portofino/Levante Trofeo engine (3.8 liter tt, 590hp), later the car should also be available with hybrid.

IMO this is the question to your answer, Maserati will bridge the gap with the 2 seater sports car until the new Granturismo will be launched.

He said to the Granturismo production stop that the sales figures are now very bad, too many "special editions" have already been offered, and the press can no longer be motivated for positive reports. Do not ride a dead horse too long.
I hope your dealer is correct. A Maser sports car (this is essentially all the Alfieri ever promised to be) would be a great addition to the marketplace (or is it re-introduction, since the GS spider was indeed a two-seat sports car).

I presume this new Maser sports car is based on the new platform that would be shared with the Alfa 6C?

Having both the 6C and (hopefully) this Maser to choose from will be an interesting choice in the market place (I'm sure at different price points of course).

Taking the GT off of the market for 2 years is really unheard of for a "major" manufacturer. Something clearly happened on the way to the ball...no way was Maser's plan to make the GT for 12+ years and then not have a replacement ready. They milked that cow so hard it died and now they gotta get another cow, but don't have the money to buy one. (or some analogy like that).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Promises, promises?

I really hope Maserati is serious this time. The abandonment of the Alfieri project has been a huge disappointment to many Maserati followers and prospective buyers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
At any rate, a prototype looking so fantastically good as the Alfieri, and stirring so much interest, even if cancelled as a regular series model, should have been allowed to be built as a small-series project. I really think Maserati lost out on an opportunity here...

·
Registered
640 Posts

Taking the GT off of the market for 2 years is really unheard of for a "major" manufacturer. Something clearly happened on the way to the ball...no way was Maser's plan to make the GT for 12+ years and then not have a replacement ready. They milked that cow so hard it died and now they gotta get another cow, but don't have the money to buy one. (or some analogy like that).
I so agree. I would like to know more about the intra-company (Maserati) and corporate (FCA, incl. Ferrari) processes, issues, and fights that led to this disarray.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Promises, promises?

I really hope Maserati is serious this time. The abandonment of the Alfieri project has been a huge disappointment to many Maserati followers and prospective buyers.
I'm with you. Should that once again be an empty promise and Maserati does not bring this car, then I'm done with this brand.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cross-posting this from my post in the GT forum:

Its "official" from their investor conference yesterday (at least as official as anything from Maserati can be):

A new 2-seat sports car (aka the car that they have promised since they showed the Alfieri concept car) AND a new GT (finally).

Alfieri (or whatever it will be called and whatever it will look like) in 2020

New GT in 2021.

2021? Only what...14 years after the original? Not bad :cautious:

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
The merger may redirect engine building straight back to Ferrari!

61 - 80 of 91 Posts